Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 5835 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2018, 02:26:28 am »
This is amazing work.

Really enjoying watching you put these big girls together. :)
Iain

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2018, 05:12:12 pm »
You're doing some great work here, James.  The nacelle inserts looks great and will add so much dimensionality to the nacelles.  When are you going to get a 3D printer for these kinds of after market fixes?  Looking to you to pave the way as usual;) 

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »
Iain,

Huge thanks for the props, from an awesome builder!

A|W,

Also thanks!  I have been looking at 3D printers for 3 years.  They keep getting better and cheaper.  The printer material is also getting much cheaper.  Two issues though, I already have to know how to use 1,835 different software packages to do stuff, and I do not want to learn another.  Also, I would want to print out a ton of the Fat Dragon 3D gaming table parts, and that would derail all of my other projects.  So, will finish these first. :)

Update #30

I got one of the Reliant nacelles with the electronics installed.  Learned a few things.  The main one being that I will need to remove the grills that are cast into the nacelle before I install the electronics into the rest of the nacelles.  If all of the electronic dodads are in there, very hard to cut out, sand, and remove the excess material needed to make the new grills fit.  Will not be doing that tonight, a little late.  Another issue, the light box interferes with either the crystal light or will not fit into the nacelle.  So I had to modify the light box somewhat to clear the crystal LED and still fit into the nacelle.  Not that big of deal, took a while though.  I decided to just drill the 3mm hole in the rear of the nacelle to house the NJAV/Strobe light.  The wires that lead to the LED are glued in, and the LED is tacked down via super glue. When I hit some of the areas with epoxy, will put some epoxy on the back of the LED so you can not accidently push it into the nacelle.  That would be a DISASTER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS.  I could not imagine having to tear the thing apart to fix that error.  That would be very demoralizing.  I also will need to add some epoxy over the front two lights on the Reliant nacelle and some other points for reinforcement.  I have also added a bunch of Apoxie sculpt to allow for more surface area in the future glue up of the nacelle, and to help flatten out the curvy grill area.  All of the nacelles will need to be cleaned up and Apoxied like this.

Oh, another interesting tid bit.  The Reliant nacelles are super nice, the Enterprise ones are not.  Normally I would put the resin into some hot water to help straighten them out, but these nacelles are fiberglass impregnated, so, hot water is meaningless to them.,  Ultimately, these guys are super strong, but getting the joints flattened out on the Enterprise will take some effort, and I am concerned over the long term stability of the joint.  I might allow some what of a gap, basically minimize the gap along the entire joint, and go back in and fill.  This would have the effect of a slightly larger, maybe out of scale joint, but the model will stick together forever.  I will take some pics of what I am talking about in a future update. 

I also got a lot of work down on the retirement box, reorganized my game room, it was a disaster, updated my game ownership database, I track every LEGO and game I own.  Also saw Ready Player One with the family, great movie.   Overall a good weekend!

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 07:51:59 am »
James, this is looking good!

One day, when I grow up, I will be a neat modeler, with precision foil tape corner folds, like you!

I love the use of a light box for the nacelle lighting! I have not seen this solution on may TMP builds.

Keep going!

Steve

I, too, saw Ready Player One and loved all the 80's Easter Eggs and nostalgia pieces peppered throughout the film! It was a good Spielberg film and Silvestri's music was awesome. I really loved Halliday's Star Trek TOS funeral flowers! I would kinda like that at my funeral, too! :)

On the retirement box - are you making your own shadow box or one for someone else? I love mine! Knowing your woodworking skills are Master's Level, maybe you can sneak a pic of it on here?!

Steve again.

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2018, 10:15:49 pm »
Steve,

The box is for a good friend of mine.  I did spend some time on it this week.  We got all of the pieces back from the laser etcher guy, and I got the bottom sides glued up.  Hoping to get some more of the box put together tomorrow night.  Thanks for the nice comments!

Update #31

Have not had a lot of time to work on the models.  The time I have had, has been spent on cleaning up the nacelles.  Getting close to be done with straightening out the area that the inserts go into.  Should be one last sanding, then back to electronic installation. 

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2018, 08:15:33 pm »
annnndddddd...two more putty and sanding, getting closer :(

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2018, 07:28:44 pm »

Update #32

The cleanup/straightening out of the grill area on the nacelles is pretty much done.  I need to come up with a new insert that goes in between the nacelle halves.  I do not think putting this together via a bunch of strips is going to work.  I think I will design a part and cut them out on the Silhouette.  The problem and benefit of this is that the cutter can only really cut through 0.020 thick plastic.  Looking at the studio model, this insert part thingy is really thick, thicker than what I will be able to put back in, due to the current unchangeable geometry of the nacelles.  I think I will be able to get between 4 and 6 of the 0.020 thick parts sort of glued up like a laminate board.  Maybe stronger than just strip styrene, I do not know, but will find out. 

I got the other 3 light boxes for the warp engines done last night.  I think I can install the electronics now while working on the inserts.

Progress.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2018, 07:40:37 am »
Looking good, James!

What are you using to glue the parts? It looks kinda globby white. Just curious!

Keep going! I'm learning lots!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:00 pm »
I use 5 minute epoxy and West Systems 105 epoxy.  It is white because I primed over it.

Cheers,

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2018, 09:36:47 pm »
Update #33

I have finally gotten the insert to look decent.  Took about 50 iterative attempts to get there, the angles and radii of the curves drove me NUTS.  So of course there had to be other issues,   The cutter would not cut through my 0.020 styrene, so had to drop down to 0.010 which means double the number of parts to cut, clean up and glue together.  The inserts are going to be little stacks of these cut outs glued together like a laminate.  Hope it works out well.  I need to build a little jig to compress the plastic bits together while they are glued up, to keep everything straight.  The next pic is of most of the electronics installed into the nacelles.  I do not have the Enterprise spot lights installed yet.  I have to do some assembly of the model to get the LEDs to line up properly.  I am debating on whether to glue the pylons to the nacelles to get these LEDs installed properly.  Once the nacelle is closed up, they they will not ever get opened again.  The last two pics are of the retirement box I am making for a friend.  Getting closer, but have to drive back up to Dallas to use some machine to get back to right angles.  My hand finishing could be better, oh well.  The construction of the box is about complete.  Once I get down up in Dallas, will complete the finish on the box, and then will need to order the hardware.  I have the leather that is going into the top of the box sitting in my office.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2018, 08:13:17 am »
James,

The build seems to be going well!

I gotta admit - I got a little choked up seeing the Air Force stuff! I should probably go on a wood workers site and gush there but, that looks pretty cool and some very nice workmanship on your part! Nice Job!

Keep 'em flying, Sir!

Steve

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2018, 09:47:22 pm »
Steve,

Headed back up to Dallas this weekend to get this box, minus hardware complete.  I got the leather for the top ready to go.  Will be glad to get this complete.

Update #34

There were PAINFUL, but got the first one much closer to being complete.  I need to fix the front alignment of the pieces coming off of the nacelle, but that will be some sanding and more putty work.  The lamination process is working well and creating really flat parts.  I am using some jointed flat Birdseye and Curly Maple as the side of my little press, which is really funny.  Not quite what it was supposed to be used for but, works great for this though.  I am really happy how much straighter this is compared to what came from the molds.  Also, I will get the parts completed for the inserts, finish cleaning up the parts and shoot some primer.  The shoot some white, paint the inserts black and install them into the nacelles.  Getting closer on these guys!

Cheers,
James

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2018, 10:34:21 am »
Very nice work! The nacelles will be beautiful!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 11:22:59 pm »
Thanks!!

Update #35
Some pretty good progress on the E and R.  I have gotten all of the nacelle inserts into the 4 nacelles, woohoo!  Of course it took a tad bit longer than expected.  Moving on to getting the nacelles aligned with the hulls and mark them up with some pencil marking so I can start cutting the holes to mount them to the pylons.  Maybe do some gluing this weekend?  A couple of other issues popped up.  The reliant pylon has a fitment issue when you put the top hull on, so, that will take some thought on what is the best way to get all of that to fit, with minimal sanding and putty work.  The shuttle bay from NemVia productions showed up!  Woohoo.  Mark is well known for the construction of 4 of these models, which doubly insane and was kind of enough to sell me a shuttle bay.  I have yet to take it apart, but look forward to get this into the E and I will use this to base the shuttle bays that are going into the R on.  Good progress the last few days.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »
James,

I would like to take a moment and call out the AWESOME model support matrix you have constructed. I would hazard a well informed guesstimate that, should you decide to scale it down to say 1/500, you could turn a pretty profit on at least this forum!!

Nicely done, Sir!

NemVia Productions (Mark) used to post here and I was enjoying his build of this monster (The E) and his scaled down version of the Drydock. I think he is still posting on his private website. I'll have to swing by and peek at what he is doing now.

Your models seem destined for greatness; especially after seeing your wood working skills. In case I missed it, how did you get the inserts in the nacelles and "pressed" (I caught the reference but not the concept) into shape? If you have the time, I would enjoy the read.

Thanks and Keep pressing forward!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc