Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 12135 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2019, 08:12:24 am »
James, your near obsession with detail is supremely enviable! Keep at it!

Thanks for the pic! It did help!

Are there going to be Battlestar Galactica ships in your build?

Yeah, I don't think there were cylons at the "Battle of the Mutara Nebula". Would have been cool to speculate on, though! :)

Steady as she goes, James!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2019, 01:22:31 pm »
The Vipers and Cylons are Easter eggs that will be in the shuttle bays.  Still not quite sure how to stage them in there, but the will be.  I need to find a 1/300ish scale TARDIS also.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2019, 04:31:42 pm »
The Vipers and Cylons are Easter eggs that will be in the shuttle bays.  Still not quite sure how to stage them in there, but the will be.  I need to find a 1/300ish scale TARDIS also.

That's AWESOME!! I bet tiu could find one on Shapeways!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:39 pm »
I have looked on shapeways, nothing already designed, need to contact an artist to see if they would rescale one for me.

Update #76

Quick update.  I have done the draft layouts of the front panel for both bases and the top panel.  I am working with Laser Fire Creations on getting this done.  The panels are really BIG, compared to most of what he creates so Matt is brain storming on how to do this.  I did the draft and 1 minute later already had additional switches I needed to add, LOL.

On another note, I use variable voltage regulators so I can tune the lights in the model.  I found these on Amazon, I have bought a set, and will do some testing.  The cool thing is I can

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2019, 07:43:04 am »
Those graphics are awesome!

I am really curious how you are going to wire all that up.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2019, 11:06:56 pm »
Shawn,

Will share when I start that part.  I love wiring stuff, so really looking forward to it!

Update #77

Some more sweet progress and a few setbacks.  I have not had any setbacks in a while so was due.  First off, you can see the mounting bracket area taped off, I poured 2 ounces of West Systems epoxy in there, and she is curing overnight.  Tomorrow I will go back in and add the layer of fiberglass mat and more resin over the coper T, then Saturday, I will drill the 6 holes out for the screws and bolts, bolt her up, put a dot of epoxy on each nut and she is ready for her stand, WOOT!  More positive news before the bad though.  Next three pics are of the TWO shuttle bays in the Reliant.  This is like that one really good golf shot you make that helps you come back another day.  Seeing the two shuttle bays in the model really made me happy and restored some of my enthusiasm for the models.  So, working on the shuttle bays I needed to get the top of the Reliant set properly onto the bottom.  I did a bunch of clean up and thought I had everything squared away, and, NOPE.  I.  I realized that there is not as much room on the top hull Reliant piece as there was in the Enterprise top saucer section.  So I am going to have to modify how I wire up all of my LED boxes.  Once I get the fitment issue sorted, I can start to figure out how to light the shuttle bays.  I am also waiting on some decals to finish my last 6 travel pods and I need an 0.30mm drill bit to finish some other travel pods.  I am putting 14 FO lines in 4 travel pods, I can do most of the lights seen in the movies.  I will have white flashers on top and bottom and green and red on the sides.  However, I cannot pull the 0.25mm FO through the 0.25mm hole and make the turns, I keep breaking the FO.  SO, going to drill a slightly larger hole to get the FOP pulled.  I am having to make a right turn inside a very small space.  The kit I bought has 5 bits from 0.25mm to 0.50mm in 0.05mm increments, so can go to a larger hole if needed.  The last three pics show some mock ups I did for the tops of the bases, these are some REALLY big pieces of acrylic, 24  inches x 48inches ish.  The roll, yaw and pitch will be separate pieces of acrylic that will sit in a cup that will be driven by a motor.  The control lights will blink and do controlly type things.  The shield area will have the chase LEDs there and will be controlled by the front panel.  I am also thinking of a way less complex top panel.  Depends on cost.  That would just be some graphics and the titles.  Will see what Matt comes back with.  The last pic is of the front panel.  I needed to get the whole thing in a line to help me better visualize what the heck this will look like.  So for all three mock ups, I blew up my page size in Power Point to 50 inches by 30 inchess or so.  I did all of the graphics in power point also, lol!    I also placed a bunch of orders for parts.  Most of the parts are coming through DigiKey.  Here is that list of parts, people have asked, so listing everything.  I spent $152 on parts from, Digikey, with the rotary switches being the expensive part.  I am not going to purchase a power supply until the model is about done.  I plan on using my desktop power supply and I can go measure what I need.  The main reason being I am not sure how many LEDs I will need in the base itself to light her up appropriately.  Will list parts later, lol.  Too much work tonight to get ported over into my spreadsheet o cost.

Cheers everyone and keep on modeling!

James
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:08:34 pm by jwood314 »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2019, 02:19:46 pm »
Your work just blows my mind!  So well done.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2019, 04:33:56 pm »
Huge thanks!!!

I release my inner child and did some swooshing while humming the Star Trek theme song.  My daughter mocked me, but all in good fun!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:29 pm »
Update #78

Quick update, my drill bits came in today, SUPER fast, so I was able to drill out the 0.3mm holes, and my 0.25mm FO pulled very easily through that hole and I was able to pull all of the weird angles, no issues.  I also did not break any bits this time, phew.  I also got all of the wiring moved in the Reliant hull so I can now close the hull correctly and I can measure how much space I have for the shuttle bay top lighting.  Good progress this evening, more tomorrow.  I am going to come up with some sort of holder to help get better results on the travel pod to make sure the FO is lined up a little better.  Will get there.

Cheers,
James

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2019, 04:31:58 pm »
That little transit pod is just incredible!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2019, 08:30:47 pm »
Thanks!  Got to write some code to have the flashy lights for it. 

Update #79

Good and bad update.  The good news, every 3 years I build a new PC, and push all my hardware down.  Basically, wife gets upgraded and kids get upgraded.  Reload the OS, redo all of the heat sink compound, clean everything out, dust, etc.  Got 3 of the PCs done, down to 1 PC and the server.  A few more days, lots of data on the server to move around.  The new machine is super fast, and everyone is happy with their upgrades.  I had to vacuum up 974.7 dust bunnies though.  So, the model build, I have started to Apoxi sculpt reinforce the Reliant hull and to build up the areas needed to install the shuttle bay.  That is the first pic.  A lot of writing on failure.  First off, you would think with such HUGE models, there would be plenty of room inside the model to do what you need to do.  NOT even close.  So, the first pic is of a light box enabled way to get light down into the shuttle bays, it of course works perfectly, however, if I want to glue the top of the model onto the bottom of the model, this will not work so good.  Pic 3 and pic 4 are shots of the shuttle bay inside with that light box on top.  Looks great, but does not fit.  So, my solution was to flatten 8 LEDs and glue them onto the top of the shuttle bay light piece.  I do not have any pics, but the shuttle bay looks as good as pic 3 and 4.  Next pic is of the shuttles glued into the bay.  I still have to put the ladder back in, but will wait to do that.  I keep knocking it off with my big thumbs.  Pic 7 is of the really cool light boxes on the shuttle bay, and pic 8 is of what they look like.  I was conflicted on how I like the look but decided that it was cool, even if you could see some of the fiber and LEDs in light boxes.  HOWEVER, this will not fit into the model, because the model is not big enough, LOL.  So, I am going to close off all of the openings I worked very hard to get put into the model with some sort of door or something, not sure and only light the shuttle bay from the top down.  Something like 5 hours of work flushed, but oh well, life goes on.  On another note, much more work on the base completed.  Matt at LaserFire Creations is an awesome dude helping me out on this build.  The base size is settled on, and I am looking for some cool wood veneer to add to the base. 

Cheers,
James

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2019, 10:32:32 pm »
Ha! I love the Easter eggs of the 22nd century shuttle pot and the Colonial Viper in the shuttle bay.
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2019, 07:46:26 am »
I release my inner child and did some swooshing while humming the Star Trek theme song.  My daughter mocked me, but all in good fun!

We've all done that as one point or another! Anyone who says they haven't it not being truthful! :D

Keep going, James! This is looking awesome! Love the shuttle lighting effects!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2019, 07:47:18 am »
This is turning out awesome.  Very cool.

Shawn

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2019, 09:33:17 pm »
Update #80

Lots of good progress over the last week.  More base coat white was sprayed down, cleaning up more nit noid trouble areas.  They are starting to go away for good, which is cool.  I am working on the read of the Reliant, I need to get the base white down before I install and match up the shuttle bays.  I will do some more painting tomorrow, to many errands today.  I shoot paint every hour or so, and do other work when it is drying.  One of the shuttle bays is pretty much done.  The pics do not do the shuttle bay justice.  In person it looks fantastic, in the photos just ok.  A crap load of wires hanging off of the back now though.  I did learn a few things, I made a few uncorrectable mistakes.  I placed the runway LEDs right next to each other without any light blocking, this will not be a problem on the other shuttle bay, but it will cause some weird effects on this one.  Basically, if all of the LEDs were in order, there would be a fade or following effect.  As one pair of fiver optics lit up, the ones next to it would be dim, which I think will actually be really cool.  However, it will not work this way.  When I do video of it I will point out the error.  I also had to do a lot of after the fact light blocking with my aluminum tape.  So, I will get the extra light blocking installed pre LED installation.  I will also line the LEDs and lights in the bay in order to get that cool precede and recede effect of lighting.  So two pics of the shuttle bay lit up.  The approach lights will sequence, and the green and red LEDs next to the shuttle roll up doors will blink.  The travel pod will also have blinking red, green and white flashers on it.  Hopefully you will be able to see the effects on the travel pod.  One slide shows all of the wires, which is a crazy amount.  I need to tune the LED intensity for the shuttle bay, too bright looks really wrong, so the over head lights, the lights behind the blue windows and all of the fiber optic LEDs will be tunable to get the desired result.  One photo to show the small scale of the bay, that is a quarter.  Also today we went to the Michaels sale, and I picked up an R2D2 rolling bin.  This thing is awesome, and really cleaned up my work area and is allowing me to store stuff waaaay easier.  I plan on getting another one tomorrow.  Super excited by a rolling thingy, lol.  So, will work on the other shuttle bay this week, and try and finish up the base paint on a bunch of parts.  I keep finding little issues to fix.  At some point I will need to stop that, but not quite there yet.  When I get the Reliant nacelles to 105% goodness, plan on painting the aztecing

Cheers,
James

Enterprise © Bloc