Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hand Brush Painting and Masking  (Read 66 times)

Offline digitani

• Ensign
Hand Brush Painting and Masking
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:00:11 pm »
Hey all,

I do not own an airbrush, so I'm hand brush painting my 1:1000 TOS Enterprise, which is also essentially my first build.

When you do this, do you usually mask off around the area you are painting, or do you just try to do it freestyle and stay in the lines as much as possible?

In the attached picture, you can see where I painted the darker portion of the nacelle by hand.  It looks OK, but it's not perfect.  I got a little too close to the lines and lost some definition in the line around the curve.  Maybe masking would have helped with the straight parts, but I don't know how I would have masked the curve.  Is freehanding really the only thing to do?

If I mess up with my freehand painting, can I clean up somehow?  Its acrylic paint.

Thanks for your replies!

-digitani

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: Hand Brush Painting and Masking
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 02:08:39 pm »
Your handiwork doesn't look bad at all....   and only you will probably see the little imperfections.

You could have masked the surrounding area with a bit of effort and a sharp blade, but whether or not masking is required you'll just have to decide as you go with each job I think.

Since you're not spraying in this case, I would only mask where absolutely needed.

Also, instead of using tape you can also use some brush on masks such as MasterMask for certain tasks.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Hand Brush Painting and Masking
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:56 pm »
Another option for masking for brush painting is using poster putty, or silly putty if you can find the original kind without dyes or coloring. It will stick well enough to the surface, is pliable and is not really expensive. I found the poster putty at Staples, but anywhere similar should have it.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Enterprise © Bloc