Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enamel ClearCoat problems  (Read 101 times)

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Ensign
Enamel ClearCoat problems
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:56 am »
Hi everyone -

On several occasions, I'm getting this result:  When spraying gloss enamel clearcoat from a can on an airbrushed acrylic finish - the clearcoat is beading up like water on a newly waxed car.  Can you help with any solutions for my next build, and - how do I get rid of the 'mottled' appearance - will waxing it smooth it out?

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
Re: Enamel ClearCoat problems
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:10:20 pm »
Hi everyone -

On several occasions, I'm getting this result:  When spraying gloss enamel clearcoat from a can on an airbrushed acrylic finish - the clearcoat is beading up like water on a newly waxed car.  Can you help with any solutions for my next build, and - how do I get rid of the 'mottled' appearance - will waxing it smooth it out?

Are you making sure they
Matt

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:31:41 pm »
I would not use an enamel clear coat over acrylic finishes. 

What (clear coat) product was this?

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:30:01 pm »
I agree with StarSiege.  Use an acrylic clear coat, like floor wax, and use as many coats as you need.  Takes a while when doing layer after layer, but it looks great.

if you still want to use the enamel, I'd recommend using a matte enamel first as an anchor, then laying down the gloss.  However, I do not have a chemistry reason for why your paint would be acting the way it is.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:59:55 pm »
That was the answer!  I bought another version of the model and re-painted per your suggestions.  Looks beautiful.  Thanks guys.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 03:57:15 am »
For what it is worth.

I once had an issue with cracking patterns showing up after having applied lots of layers (like eight layers) of acrylic gloss coat (over acrylic paint). Presumably, it is important to make sure each layer dries for 24 hours to be sure, to try avoid the paints from cracking. As I remember it, the cracking patterns were fine and small and only showed up on parts of the model.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 10:15:37 am »
That was the answer!  I bought another version of the model and re-painted per your suggestions.  Looks beautiful.  Thanks guys.

Glad to hear it, The Man/Kind Project.

These are the general rules for using different paint types.

You can put acrylic over enamel and lacquer.
You can put put enamel over lacquer.

You do not (generally) want to put lacquer over enamels or acrylics.
You do not (generally) want to put enamels over acrylics.

There are exceptions, such as the glosscote and dullcote lacquer topcoats from Testors (however glosscote and dullcote will damage enamel and acrylic paint if sprayed on too heavily instead of in thin layers).  Other exceptions you can find out for yourself with experimentation (on scrap pieces) but make sure the underlayers are fully cured. 

Enterprise © Bloc