Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 1861 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Super Star Destroyer
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:54:43 am »
I will get around to posting the final Firefox pics up at some point as that kit is finished and on display.

Anyhoo! After the success of last years Charity Auction Build of the Zvezda Star Destroyer the members of the UK Garrison "jokingly" said why not a Super Star Destroyer for this year. So in my naivety I went and found the 38" resin Super Start Destroyer as supplied by Kornbanth. The Garrison has bought the model and I will build it for this years auction in November. And what a beast this kit is.

A very low parts count for the most part but when those bits 'n' bobs are about 2ft long each you start seeing the scale of this beast.

I don't plan on getting well into the build until about March as I really want to take a break from model building for a bit as this build will take a couple of months at least before we start seeing major progress. I have got the engine bells drilled out today more for something to do and wired up a 5mm led to see what it may look like towards the end of the build.

Got s long, long way to go but the journey will be fun no doubt.
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:21:42 pm »
Silly Iain.....   You simply refuse to stop with the FO till your eyes fall out of your skull !!!!

Really though...   I have one of these in the pile and have seen a few nice builds over at the RPF, so watching how you tackle this one will be more than entertaining.

I think you need to stock up on drill bits    :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:36:01 pm »
Aw, come on Iain, admit it! You're a model building junkie :o  Can't wait to see this one take form and flight. Should be a fun adventure.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:03 am »
Nice one. I'm intending to start my one of these this year too if I can. I spent an hour or so marking out the areas that need grinding out etc. It's going to take a lot of time to do and with nearly 70 feet of FO cable ready to go in, I'm still not sure I have enough.

I'll be watching when your ready to start. Having a break can be very rewarding. What will you do when your not building?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 04:54:06 am »
Mad - I intend to do as little as possible mate.

As for drill bits I will try the 0.25mm size and see how that goes when the time comes as although I have loads of 0.5 bits I think the smaller size will be more in scale.
As for lighting her up I think I will go with blue led tape on the inside with fo strands in the windows to pick up the light as space is at a premium on the inside (ie :- there isn't any).
Iain

Offline holt35

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:23:38 pm »
Great looking kit. I love the Super Star Destroyer and I'm looking forward to seeing this build!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:06 am »
Thanks guys.

Mad - do you have any pics of the areas you have marked up for a bit of a heads up??

Iain

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 12:32:05 pm »
Holy smokes! This is going to be a fantastic build Iain!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 11:27:28 pm »
Thanks guys.

Mad - do you have any pics of the areas you have marked up for a bit of a heads up??

No i haven't but i will take some for you and post them up here once i get back from holidays next week

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:24:56 am »
Thanks Mad - much appreciated. ;)
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 05:39:10 am »
Since your going to be using a bunch of .25 FO on this one Iain..... you might be interested in some bundled strands I came across....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323062391917?ul_noapp=true

The diameter of the full cable isn't stated, so you'd have to ask about that in order to plan for the proper illuminater. 

Check ya later....

Wolf
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:54:02 am by ImWolf »
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:55 pm »
Cheers Im.

But just had a trial drill and there is no way I could afford the amount of 0.25 drill bits needed so 0.5mm it is.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:12 am »
Any updates, Iain?

Would love to see what you're doing with this monster!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 02:26:52 am »
Nothing yet Steve.

I have been waiting on respirator to arrive so I can safely work with the resin. Just finished a Zvezda ISD for a friend and plan on starting the big girl in earnest in a couple of weeks.

Stay Tuned. ;D
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 06:34:05 pm »
can't wait for a chance at the Zvezda or Revell Star Destroyer.  I really love the detail in that big kit.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Enterprise © Bloc