Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 9480 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:02 am »
Iain,I think you missed one fiber on that bottom piece of resin....just one fiber :)James

Damnit! I was hoping that no-one would notice. ;D
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2018, 07:14:27 am »
Iain,I think you missed one fiber on that bottom piece of resin....just one fiber :)James

Damnit! I was hoping that no-one would notice. ;D

;D ;D ;D
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2018, 02:58:52 am »
Honey I'm home.

A quick (ish) wee update on our girl. The upper hull leds have been glued into their respective carbon fiber tubes.

Once the epoxy had cured a generous dollop of Tulip fabric paint was lathered over the end to stop light leaks from there.

All the above was left for 24hrs to allow the Tulip to cure and then the fiddly work of getting the fibers into the ends of the tubes and glued (epoxied) into place.

Just a quick look as to how it will all look once I start to get her buttoned up.

I thought I would have to order up some SMD's to light up the bridge but I found a wee stash amongst my bits 'n' bobs and these will be perfect for the job in hand.

Was a bit fiddly getting two smd'd in there but we got there in the end. Going to wire up an extra resistor or two to tone down the light a bit or I may just fill the interior with some canopy glue.

And finally you will be glad to know that the latest stages of this build have a new overseer to help Ziggy keep an eye on things so please raise your glasses to Frodo (8wks old Veiled Chameleon).

Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2018, 09:20:59 am »
Looking good Iain!  Where did you get the carbon fiber tubing from? What made you use that as a material? Is there a benefit to it?
It's an interesting choice is all
As for the bridge lighting and toning it down, why not cut some clear plastic sheet to fit the inside and spray it matte clear which will diffuse the light nicely and tone the brightness down. I used this method with the sub-engines of the Andromeda and it worked beautifully
Looking forward to the next installment!!  :)

Online incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2018, 11:12:45 am »
Iain, this looks superb! How you have the patience with all of those fibre optic cables, I don't know! I have one of the MPC star destroyers knocking about, and have tried to get the right scale with the FOs, but I can't do it.

Welcome to Frodo too! He looks like he'll keep a good eye on the project :)

Pete

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2018, 09:46:31 am »
Welcome to Frodo too! He looks like he'll keep a good eye on the project :)
;D ;D
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2018, 04:13:52 am »
Thanks guys.

I have the upper hull partly primed so will finish the priming tonight and get that section painted up at the weekend.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2018, 02:25:36 am »
Hi Mad.

The decision to use carbon fiber was two fold - I was curious to see how easy/hard it was to work with and also this kit weighs a ton anyway so any method I could find to lose weight was worth it.

I got it from an Asian vendor on Ebay.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:00 am »
how is it to work with? Is it worth it? I might look into it myself for my own use as well

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2018, 04:08:19 am »
Hello again Mad.

It is very easy to work with although when cutting it I would wear a respirator or suitable mask as it's dusty when being cut, or else cut it outdoors.

IMO it is well worth it for a kit of this size but I don't know if I would use it again as the other kits I have don't come close to this one's size.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:52:52 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2018, 06:15:05 am »
thanks Iain! I'll have to do a search on that product tonight

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »
Howdy y'all!

A midweek update as I am stoned out of my face on painkillers after totally fracking up my right knee at Karate today (and I have a grading next week!).

Anyhoo! Enough of my woes and whilst the ice pack is still cold I thought I would update you on where we are with our Empress. The bridge is a go and all the upper hull lighting has been checked again prior to applying a primer coat and once again I cannot praise STYRYNLEZ (Or ULTIMATE primer in the UK enough).

The bridge face itself has the fo strands inserted prior to being attached to the rest of the model.

And just because I wanted to make sure everything was working as it should I thought I would check just before applying the aforementioned primer.

I had noted some awkward areas and some that had some pretty obvious light leaks so I hand painted primer onto those areas to eliminate that problem so that's why some areas are already black.

Once I was happy with everything I went ahead and primed the upper hull.

And there we have it so far. I am going to leave the kit alone until the weekend and hopefully by then I will be able to walk upright and see straight. Thanks for following the build and please comment and where we are so far.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2018, 03:02:03 am »
Just when you thought it was safe to have a peek at this post we have another Sunday update.

At last I have had the time to start painting the upper hull. First though I painted the underside trenches which will blend into the side trenches when the hulls are joined together.

Once the paint was dry (aided by pinching Eleanor's hair dryer!) it was time to start the upper hull detail painting but first I masked off the city sprawl area as that will be a darker blue grey than the rest of the hull and a mirror image to the previously completed engine deck/lower hull.

Next is was time to start the hull and once again I used the same technique used the lower hull and "Our Lady" in that by using a couple of large playing cards I sprayed a series of lines across the hull going left to right along the length of the kit.

Once that was done the kit was flipped around (really awkward to do thanks to the size of the Empress) and the same series of lines was sprayed at right angles to the first lot until we got to this point.

Ye olde hairdryer was used again to help the drying process but I still waited about an hour before going over the upper hull with the airbrush "filling in" the pattern previously painted until the hull was completed.

It can't be seen very well at all in the pictures but there is a subtle pannelling effect on the upper hull so quite chuffed how it turned out as (to me) it looks like the upper hull as seen is made up up of distinct plates and is not just one big, solid area.

And there we have it for this update. Thanks to work, karate grading and going to London midweek for Eleanor's birthday I won't be able to attend to the city sprawl area until next weekend but once that is done the painting will be pretty well finished with only touch uo work to do after I start trimming the 3000 odd fibers back.

As always thanks for coming along on this build. I hope you like what you see and please comment on our girl.
Iain

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2018, 11:16:35 am »
This is gorgeous!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2018, 01:49:17 pm »
This is gorgeous!

Thanks bud!

Despite having a zillion and one things to do before tomorrow I have the upper hull completed and ready to go (sort of!).

The first pic above looks a little slick but I am just waiting on the dull cote to dry. There is a distinct difference in shade/tone of colour between the flat areas of the hull and the city sprawl so please just take my word on that one. I tried for ages to get a decent picture but TBH I just gave up in the end but as long as we bust the bank in November then job done.

Now! I said "sort of" at the beginning of this post and that meant I still have the fibers to trim back flush to whatever part of the hull they stick out of and whatever touch up work is needed after that which I reckon will take about 2-3 days to complete and then we can start to think about joining the hulls together at last.

Before I leave you all I thought I would fire up the lights to see what she'll look like when finally completed. I still have a mountain of work to do before November but we're getting close (reasonably close now) to the final day of this build after 5 months construction time.

As always thanks for coming along with me on this latest journey to an auction and please comment on what you see.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc