Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2018, 08:12:16 am »
Looking great Iain! It's making me want to start mine - but I just don't have either the display space or the mojo for it just yet
Will be tuning in for more as it comes in

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »
Looking great Iain! It's making me want to start mine - but I just don't have either the display space or the mojo for it just yet
Will be tuning in for more as it comes in

Ditto!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Online starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2018, 12:19:17 am »
Soooo many fibers. :o

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »
I remember the first time I saw the super star destroyer when I saw empire strikes back at the theatre. awsome :)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2018, 02:32:22 pm »
Thanks guys.

The latest update on the big girl after I finally had the time to get some work done.

First up the base has arrived and I just have to decide whether to paint it, varnish it or stain it.

I will measure up the top display area and get the mirror ordered when I come back from holiday in September.

All the fibers have been trimmed and tomorrow I will touch up the paint work and then we'll see about joining up the hulls. Of course I just had to see that all was well with the leds and needed to make sure they where working as required.

We're nearly there with this build folks but there is still a lot of work to do before "The Empress" is ready for her auction.

I hope that you like what you see so far folks.
Iain

Offline Dvciio

• Ensign
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2018, 01:29:41 am »
 ;It is so great!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2018, 09:01:53 am »
Me again!

To hell with resting up and not doing anything as that just bores the "You Know What's" off me and I was never good at listening to doctors anyway!
Today a pretty major milestone has been reached in that the model was at last powered up as one (sort of) complete unit for the first time and we haven't blown anything up. Besides I needed a wee break from some severe GOT binge watching (series 3, 4 & 5 in the past three days)

I decided to do this as the bottom half has been hidden away up in the loft for the past three months out of harms way and I want the kit to run powered up for at least 24hrs before I start to button her up as there is no way to get inside the model again once she's done and I want to make 100% sure everything is spot on perfect. I will have some major head scratching and sweary bits ahead as the FO strands on both halves are getting in the way of each other so expletives on standby.

But! enough of me waffling on lets show some pics and please mind the two halves are just sitting on top of one another although I have since applied some masking tape to stop them sliding about.

Still got a lot of work in the weeks ahead but I though you would like to have an idea as to how "The Empress" will eventually look in all her glory.

Thanks for watching.
Iain

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2018, 09:37:47 am »
Really looks terrific, Iain!  I like how you have "expletives on standby" for when you button her up and thereby leaving nothing to chance;)

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2018, 10:57:14 am »
Seeing the red light off the thrusters and the blue light off all the view ports looks awesome. :)

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2018, 05:33:21 am »
it's going to be very squashy in there isn't it?
It looks fantastic so far. I may look into those strip lights too.
Hey, I don't remember if you showed it or not, but have you got an image or 3 showing how you've attached the stand to the underside of the ship? I just don't recall seeing how you went about it as it's something I am still musing over how to do. I'm thinking because of the extra weight and the sheer length of her hull, 2 stands might be the way to go? Be better to redistribute the pressure with 2 than 1?
Or am I just over thinking it?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2018, 10:10:33 am »
Thanks Mad.

It does get a bit squishy-squashy on the inside and I had to reposition two of the leds on the inside so the model could be closed up without too much bother.

The mounting pole is a 16mm carbon fiber rod and on the inside of the model is a 1" thick wooden block epoxied into place once a 16mm hole was drilled into it. TBH get that block to sit perfectly straight and level was a total pain in the a**e but we got there in the end. Good idea with the two mounting poles and I will let you know how I get on once I get her mounted to her final display base. She is a very large model as you know and now she is completed she is also very ass heavy.

Now after a 6 month + build, the "Empress of the Galaxy" has finally been completed and once this post is done I want to get her wrapped up and up into the loft where she'll be safe and out of harms way.

I have the base to get sorted out next and get the mirror that will sit on top of the base ordered but I will be leaving that 'til next pay day. My neighbour Glen has access to a drill press so we will get a exact hole drilled in the centre of the base so she's not leaning over in any direction and will sit there straight and precisely.

Got some pics for you to see and please comment on what you see as the next time you see her she will be finally mounted on her final base and just waiting for the November auction. Going to be sad to see her go to the auction so that day will be a bitter sweet one for me.

I really hope my girl busts the bank in November.

Like I said please comment on what you see as any and all comments are so much appreciated.

I shot a wee video to let you see the big girl and I waffle on a bit (no suprises there). The "groaning" sound is the temporary mounting pole going into the internal wooden block as I turn the kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssaArmDBCA
Iain

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2018, 09:39:30 pm »
Congratulations! :) I'd like to see more photos though.

I would recommend you take photos without perspective distortion. I.e taking photos from afar, and then zooming in. This way, it looks like  you took a photo from afar, and not close up.

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #132 on: Today at 06:10:57 am »
Congratulations Iain - it has come out beautifully! The bridge looks so much better than the kit supplied one
The whole ship looks amazing and it really makes me want to do mine, but I have no where to put it once its done.
Thanks for posting the WIP - I will find it very useful in later times :)
Am looking forward to your next project
Si

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #133 on: Today at 06:25:33 am »
Thanks guys.

Mad - well worth your while getting one of the Bandai baby Star Destroyers and using that bridge on your own kit.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc