Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 4810 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:02:14 am »
Back again with a wee update.

I have concentrated on the engine section and have used 5mm flat top leds for the 13 engines. Just had to be careful drilling out the engines as getting spares would take time.

I gave the lights the obligatory 24hr burn out test and they all passed.

Once that once done I had to decide on what colour the engines would go and from left to right we have black metal, dark aluminium and plain black.

I went with the black metallic and am quite happy with that choice. The engines were given a light dusting of Alclad Jet Exhaust as this thing is supposed to be 8 miles long and those engines would be putting out a lot of heat and energy. The paint was allowed to dry overnight and then the leds where installed.

The overall colour of this kit will be Intermediate Blue and I have gone with the Vallejo option with that as I like using their paints. Another colour used will also be Blue Gray for the highlights and some preshading.

Once the engine deck was given a black undercoat it was onto the painting proper. The next pic shows the Blue Gray used to highlight and preshade the rear engine deck.

And once that was dry it was time for the Intermediate Blue.

Once that was done the part was given a dullcote to protect the paint and then it was time to start putting on the engines. Prior to all this I had drilled out on the kit part where the engines would go and used a 5mm drill bit to drill down through the inside of the kit and into the hole drilled into the mounting point so that the wiring could be passed through.

Once I had checked all was well I applied some hot glue to tie down the wiring and to keep evrything neat and tidy.

All the engines where attached without any major problems and it was then time to light the engines up to see how we where doing.

Still got a long way to go with this one but I hope you like what you see so far.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 01:04:15 am »
Looks Great Iain. The colours work nicely and the exhausts are beautiful. At least you got them lit! I haven't had a chance to photograph the areas I marked out for grinding away due to other commitments but I'll try get them done if you are still interested in them over the next few days

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 02:35:11 am »
Thanks Mad.

Those pics would be so helpful whenever you get the time.

Thanks
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 12:19:31 am »
Hi Iain

I found some time this afternoon to take some pictures of the areas where I am going to be cutting, drilling and sanding back.
The area on the lower back end are the areas to be drilled or use a rotary cutter on it to remove it

This will need to be drilled/cut

The lower side here needs to be sanded back.  The circles are where its thin enough that the light filters through so no drilling there

Hope that is of some help to you? I dare say you probably had a similar idea. Looking forward to your next update
I really love the colours you've used. They really do look the part

Si

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 04:16:09 am »
Thanks Mad!

That's very much appreciated and will save a lot of work in the near future to be sure. Just waiting on the first batch of FO strands to arrive and I plan on having the lower hull/engines finished this weekend and then the mammoth task of the upper hull and side trenches will begin. Just got to figure out what I am going to do with the metal strips along the sides of the upper hull. My plan at the mo is to remove about 99.9% of them but leave about 5mm at either end and in the middle so the side trenches and lower hull have something to attach to but like I said it's only an idea at this point - that part of the build is a long way off yet.

The beers are on me. ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:22:34 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 04:26:43 am »
From what I can see, those walls aren't meant to be up against the strips. I'm going to leave mine in and try to bundle the FO around them. The side walls should sit out enough from those strips to get the fibers around the front and back ends if the fibers are long enough.  I have seen a guy take the metal strip out but I personally don't think you need to and it would weaken the top half too much and likely sag if removed.
You'll get there before me so I'll be taking notes from you too :)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 11:05:01 am »
Hi Mad.

Yeah - I see what you mean regarding those strips so need another plan.
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »
I like the colors you're using too Iain....  A bit darker than most would go for but it looks excellent.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 07:45:20 pm »
this is one aggressive project.  love the work so far!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 05:08:52 am »
Thanks guys.

Got some more work done on the big girl and the underside (so far as painting is done and dusted). Once the Grey primer was first applied and allowed to cure it was on with the black primer.

Actually that highlighted an annoying problem which will only get worse. In other words the physical size of this model is causing problems in that my spray booth would be better suited if it was twice the size as can be seen in the next picture with about 8" of the part sticking out.

I just had to quarter up that part and move it around as each quarter got painted. It will get worse as I said as the upper hull is one giant piece about 3ft long so that's gone to be a real challenge to paint.

I had a head scratching 5mins trying to figure out which of the two blues I am using was which so once that was sorted I thought I should label them to avoid any future confusion. I will just add to the bottles as the build progresses. I never get rid of any paint until the model is finished and on display and I usually (not always. ) take a note of the colours and ther ratio they where mixed in.

The first section to get painted was the city sprawl structure in the middle of the part and once again areas where pre-shaded in the Grey Blue and then Intermdeiate Blue was used to paint the rest of the area and fill in the spaces by blending edges of the two blues together.

Once that was dry the area was masked off so that it will remain darker than the rest of the lower hull when I start paintng the rest of the hull.

I used the same technique I had used for last years auction build in that a criss cross pattern was applied all over the hull using the edge of a folded over post-it to get a straight edge and this would simulate individual plates once we got to painting the whole area (think that kinda made sense!!).

Once that was done the rest of the hull was painted in Intermediate Blue taking care not to cover up the pattern previusly applied to the hul. There is a distinct difference in light/dark between the hull and the city scape but quite subtle and not so black to white. The picture does'nt real show it TBH but please trust me on this one. I will keep trying to take a picture that shows the difference I am on about.

And last but not least a quick mock up to show the two lower hull pieces together to show where we are so far on this build. I will put all the FO strands in place first and get the wooden mounting block in place first before permanently attaching the two pieces together.

I hope you like what you see folks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:52:39 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 07:43:41 am »
that looks seriously amazing! I love that colour.

Online Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 10:44:23 am »
I wonder, is percahnce this super star destroyer of the same scale compared to the tiny star destroyer model made by Bandai?
Looking at an image comparison of the two, and looking at the photo showing the super star destroyer on the table above, I imagine them to be of the same scale, or close.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 03:08:39 pm »
Hi Decoman

The Bandai Star Destroyer is slightly smaller than the kit provided one but the detail is far superior.

Moving right along.

Two days later and we have about 80% of the lower hull FO's installed.

I should have this section finished off by the end of the week and then I can get the fibers trimmed and any necessary (there will be) touch up work attended to.

Once that is done we can get the lower hull sections attached together and then the marathon that will be the upper hull and side trenches can begin.

Thanks for following this thread folks.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:26 am »
I have a couple of questions for you:
How thick is the resin? Was it easy to drill through?
How are you going to mount this? Center pole or side mounted? I'd like to do side mounted but I don't have anything strong enough to support it

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:28 am »
Hi Mad.

In places the resin is pretty well paper thin so you have to be careful. Whilst in others in can be very thick. This gives be a bit of extra work but I use a 0.5mm drill bit first as I literally have hundreds of them and once the hole is drilled I use a 0.55mm drill to open it up slightly if I have any problems trying to thread the FO strand through.

As for mounting I have a 15mm carbon fiber rod ready for when that nit comes and you can see the block I have epoxied into place in some of the pics. I won't close up the model until I am happy it is sitting dead straight and level on that pole so if I have to I can cut that block out with a Dremel and start again. It took the better part of an hour to get that block where it is just now.

Back to the resin being thin for a bit as along the edges it is very prone to breaking just because it so thin and I have had to repair it three times with some appropriate thickness plasti-card.

I hope this all helps.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc