Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 4809 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 07:23:42 am »
Iain, you, Sir, are the fiber optic King!

I have a Republic StarDestroyer in my stash that I will probably follow your examples and on which I will use FO.

Keep it coming!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 01:33:26 pm »
Thanks Steve.

Moving right along with this build.

I have got all the FO strands trimmed and the inevitable touch up work attended to. Going to be finding bits of FO lying around for weeks to come.

Took forever and a day to trim the strands back and especially so when you have a Chameleon sitting on your shoulder watching your every move (Ziggy just loves sitting there watching the world go by!).

For a wee taster here's the lower hull just held up to a light to show that light coming through the strands.

I thought I was going to have to leave it there but the 5mm diffused blue leds arrived and once I got them wired up to a resistor and got the heatshrink into place I left them alone for the usual burn out test which they all passed.

Those leds have been attached to their respective FO bundles and I am just waiting (will take 24hrs) for the Tulip paint to dry so the ends are light blocked but before I did that here's a wee look at how the lower hull looks like lit up.

So far, so good on this build and I hope you like what you see.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:53:16 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
Yiker Diker Bikers!!!  That's a lot of FO!!!

How was drilling all those .5mm holes in resin compared to drilling in styrene?

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »
Thanks Wolf.

No real difference of note in drilling resin apart from having an appropriate respirator to deal with the dust.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 06:28:00 am »
Whoa, Dude! That looks awesome!!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 06:42:14 pm »
Thanks Wolf.

No real difference of note in drilling resin apart from having an appropriate respirator to deal with the dust.

Uh oh, I just exhale while drilling to move the dust away.  Probably not the best idea.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 09:29:29 pm »
Thanks Wolf.

Uh oh, I just exhale while drilling to move the dust away.  Probably not the best idea.

Just don't inhale again. That's the key.😰
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 03:19:51 pm »
Howdy again.

Got some more work done on the big girl and a milestone has been reached in that bar a couple of spots that need some touch up work the lower hull/engines are completed.

I had originally planned to use just one 10mm diffused led to light up all the lower windows but I cut some of the fibers too short so at first I used another two 5mm diffused blue leds to light up the windows.

But I quickly realised that there was just too many fibers to put into the ends of the two 6mm brass tubes that had been cut so I added a third 5mm diffused blue led and that was that problem sorted.

Once that was done it was time to permanently attach the engine deck which was a chore in itself as the engine section is heavy and it was really fiddly trying to hold it in place with one hand and hit the CA glue with a kicker with the other but we got there in the end. Once I was happy that everything was where it should be a generous amount of 5min epoxy was applied along the join and left to cure properly.

When I checked the lighting again I noted that there was some leakage along that big join so that area was "drowned" in Tulip fabric paint and left to dry overnight and no more light leaks.

Another thing I added was a thin block of wood on top of the main block for the mounting pole as I saw that the rod would come right through into the model which wasn't very secure for such a big and heavy kit. When the time come to affix the rod in place it will be a more solid and secure mounted pole. I just let the epoxy cure with a bottle on top to hold it down as the epoxy did its job.

As I have mentioned before much of this build has been overseen by my Veiled Chameleon Ziggy who has spent much of the past week perched on my shoulder watching what I was doing.

One thing I am learning about this kit is that the resin is very thin (1bout 1mm or thereabouts) and quite brittle and I knocked a piece off when attaching the engines. A few choice expletives where uttered but the area was easily fixed with some plasti-card and viola it was sorted. An hour spent with varous grades of emery paper and the fix was blended into the model.

Some Mr Surfacer 1000 was aplied to the area prior to priming and we where good to go. I am just waiting on a new filter for my spray booth to arrive and that area will be painted up to match the rest of the hull.

Last but by no means least I have the model on a temporary mounting pole so that it can be rotated easily and the touch up work can go ahead. Just thought I would light her up first.

I have shot a short wee video to let you see how she's looking so far. And before I get to that I am going to have to have some serious head scratchibg in the near future as this model is seriously "ass" heavy so instead of a square display base similar to what "Our Lady" had this one will have to be more rectangular to balance the weight better. I am still (at this time) going to mirror that base but that part of the adventure is a long way off.

Anyhoo! On with the video and I hope you like "The Empress" so far.

Thanks for all the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl63KqJGOYI
Iain

Online Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 12:49:18 am »
This is looking very nice! :) Hoping to see some nice photos of this one when the model is finished.

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 04:34:26 am »
Those engines look fantastic Iain! Nice fix on the edged BTW. You wouldn't know it had happened to look at it now
I'm very interested on how you go about doing the top section though. For me, that will be the most challenging bit and I'm keen to see how you tackle it and the results you get with it.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 02:04:05 pm »
This is looking fantastic Iain....

I was surprised to read that you're dealing with such thin material in areas though. It's been quite a while since I unwrapped the kit and checked it out again, but as I recall the parts were very thick (3mm?) last time I looked it over. Is this the Korbanth (Randy Johnson) kit you're working on?

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2018, 03:04:45 pm »
Hi Wolf.

It is indeed the Korbanth kit I have and apparently it is a new moulding from Randy. The thinness of the resin in parts is not really an issue tbh as it's easily overcome.

And now for a quick wee update.

I am debating how to light up the side trenches when it comes to that and I can either go full on Fiber Optic or use led tape. I will need to loosely put the upper hull together to see what kind of space we'll have on the inside and there are two metal strips to provide structural integrity (going a bit Star Trekkie there) which will prove problematic if I use FO strands. I have wired up the strips and four 10mm leds and will leave them on for the usual 24hrs and then we'll see which method will be the best. This is only for the side trenches as the city sprawl on the upper hull will be lit up using FO's.

Ziggy decided he was bored sitting on my shoulder at this point and decided to give the model a close up look.

Thanks for looking.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 09:57:14 am »
Got another wee update for y'all.

More pics of blue glowy things and a bit of a head scratcher at the end.

For the side trenches I have decided to use the led tape and the rest of the model will be FO's. I found some double density blue tape  and had that wired up overnight to see if we had any burn outs and I'm pleased to say we had none.

The double density tape is at the top.

Just go to make my mind up what type to use at this point.

With about 95% of each side trench being lit up via tape I though it would be wise to see if there was any discernible differences in the light intensity (think that made some sort of sense) between the bulbs and the tape.

This one is a fiber lit by and led.

And this is one lit up by tape.

In person there is little to no difference in the light intensity as the camera just washes out but I will try later on to get a better picture of what I am trying to show.

Moving right along I have been looking at the upper half of the model and some major surgery will be required as a lot of the resin will have to be drilled out and cut away before the city scape can be added so all the FO strands can be plugged in to a led.

The areas to be cut away are highlighted (rather haphazardly I have to admit) in a marker pen and thanks to Madhatter for that idea and the pics you shared.

Hence the reason for getting that respirator a couple of weeks ago as that part of the build will be messy.

Now! onto a real headscratcher of a problem and that entails the last 2 inches or so of the side trenches at the rear of the model. I did'nt notice this until I was mucking about with all the parts today and doing some dry fitting.

This pic is where the engine deck is attached to the lower hull and that area is in places about 2mm thick and almost paper thing.

And this is it from the rear and as you can see there is little to nothing to work with there so I can't see (at this time) how I am going to get ang lighting in there for the windows.

I had the same problem with a couple of areas of last years Star Destroyer build but the plastic was much more forgiving than resin so I am going to have to figure something out. It won't be lit as extensivelly as the rest of the ship but I do want to get something in there or there will be a "dead" area at the back side of each trench which will really annoy me. One plan is to use FO but have the strands attached to a 5mm led and to cut away some of the backside of each trench and feed the fibers up through a small trench I can dremel into those flat areas to free up some room so some 5mm leds on their 24hr test cycle.

Once the hulss are attached you won't see any wires or fibers flapping about but until I actually try it I won't know for sure.

Tune in next time for even more pictures of blue glowy things.

Thanks for coming along.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:05:58 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 10:14:39 am »
Looking good!

And I like Ziggy

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 11:05:11 am »
Looking good!And I like Ziggy

Cheers mate but the big Z can be a pain at times but mostly he just sits on my shoulder watching.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc