Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 10265 times)

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 10:01:54 am »
Guess who?

Yep! It's moi again with another wee update and I know you will all be totally gutted to know this but there are no pictures of blue glowy things but I can dif one up if you so desire!

Anyhoo! I have got the lower hull/engine section up in the loft out of the way and I won't be seeing that bit for at least a month as it is time to start on the side trenches at all those little holes (drinks cabinet on standby!)

Instead of pictures of blue glowy things here is a picture of a teensy-weensy little hole. This is the first in about 1000, so that little hole is pretty significant as it shows the beginning of my slide into total dribbling insanity and a few blisters along the way that this model will cause me.

I have been thinking about the last couple of inches of those side trenches and to get some lights in there I am going to Dremel out the areas marked by pen. Going to have to be careful that I don't go through the resin but I went and got four new Dremel bits that will help gettting those areas cleaned out and will also be used when it comes to cutting away the areas on the main hull prior to lighting.

That's it for this update but rest assured pictures of blue glowy things will return.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:54:36 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 12:32:39 pm »
Looking good, Iain!

Watch out for those new burs; they can reduce plastic really quickly if you are not careful.

Keep going!

Till the return of the blue glowy thingies!!  ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 12:53:54 pm »
Will do Steve!
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:31 am »
with those side walls, what end have you blacked out? Fore or aft? And why? Sorry for the questions

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 01:24:19 pm »
No need to apologise Mad!

The rear 4 inches of the side trenches will be "carefully" hollowed out to free up some space for the fo strands. The reason being is that there is no room in the section the walls will eventually be attached to at the engine section as there is a blank section just shorter than 4 inches on either side and those areas are about 4-5mm thick so no room to play with there hence the hollowing out of the side walls in those areas.

I hope that is what you are after mate.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 11:01:08 pm »
thanks mate - that is what I thought the reason would be.
The good news is if that by chance something does go wrong with the drilling, the walls are direct copies of the Revell Venator walls joined together and I just happen to have an unbuilt kit in the stash, so if need be, I can make a copy of it and you can just replace the section.

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:56 am »
Thanks Mad!

Hopefully I won't have to make use of your offer but nice to know the option is there if I screw it up. ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:43:24 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 02:44:40 am »
Back again!

Been thinking (it does happen now and again and no it did'nt hurt "much") about the 2k+ holes this kit is going to have and was there going to be an easier way of doing it that does'nt involve an insanity plea by November.

And the short answer is a resounding "no". I thought about a Dremel which is too fast and bulky and even with a flexi-shaft attached it won't allow for a precise enough control over a 0.5mm drill bit and the slighest error going "off axis" will snap the bit - so a Dremel is out.

Thought about a Tamiya handy drill but I can't find a collet for it that will accept the aforementioned 0.5mm drill bits but I think I'll buy one anyway as it will come in handy for other projects once I am let out into the public domain again.

So! the best and only option (at this time) is the olde' archimedes drill and a pin vise.

The two of them have served me well in this build but as I said I was looking for a non-sanity-stretching option but the hands on approach is going to be the one for this years auction build. I am definately never going to build another Star Destroyer!

Anyhoo! Moaning aside I have started work on the side trench windows and the lenght of the pieces in question posed a problem as I work at one end and the other end is flapping about and generally being very annoying so I got some thin card and taped that to the bench so the drill bits would'nt ruin my cutting mats too much and taped the side trench on top of that. I'll move the trench along as each section is completed. It's not a perfect solution but it does allow a lot more control of the resin pieces as they can be quite delicate.

An hour later and here's where we are. The area in the next pic is about an inch and a quarter long so a long, long way to go yet.

I hope you like what you see so far folks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:46:22 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2018, 11:37:42 am »
Iain.....   you need a 24 spindle drill press.....  fast!

:b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:58 pm »
Guess who?

Back again with another wee update for you all on this years auction build.

Work has been completed on the side trenches (thanks god sez me as drilling all those wee holes didn't do wonders for what's left of my diminishing sanity!).

First of all was the black primer. I gave each part a couple of coats to help get rid of any possible light leakage when the time comes to start threading those fibers. Once the base coats were applied each part was left to dry on it's own.

Some people use heat guns to aid in drying but TBH I am not a fan of that method and I just let the parts air dry and leave them overnight if that's required.
Once they where dry it was out with the Grey Blue again and then the Intermediate Blue to add some highlights to the raised areas.

Bit of a crap picture TBH but I was trying to get the whole lengths of the parts in.

Once again the parts were left to dry for a couple of hours and then the dull cote was applied (a couple of coats) and that was left to dry overnight.

And that's about it for this update apart from when I get home from work today a rather large and heavy box was waiting for me which was the fiber optic cable I had ordered (6000mtrs/3.7miles) so I can get cracking on with the build at the weekend. Thanks Warren for putting me onto that seller for the fo.

There we have it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:28:46 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2018, 07:35:45 am »
That is ALOT, and but "ALOT" I mean a ship-load of FO!!!

Iain, you may be the undisputed FO King of this website!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2018, 05:04:29 pm »
Imgur is blocked at work, which is where I usually peruse these forums. So although I've followed this thread, this is the first time seeing the pictures. This looks fantastic!

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 02:27:39 am »
Thanks guys.

Got a long way to go yet but we're getting there. ;D
Iain

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 11:29:12 am »
Honey I'm Home!

Back again and we have the "welcome" return of the blue glowy things.

I have started work on the side trenches which has basically entailed redrilling about 2000 little holes that have been filled with some paint which is bit of a pain in the "You Know Where" but the end result will be worth it.

First up where the two areas that are next to the engine deck and I have said previously there is just not enough room to get a ton of lights in there but I decided on a minimum of 10.

Once the epoxy was dried I wanted to flatten down the fibers a bit so the fit when it comes to gluing those parts to the main hull.

I left the epoxy overnight and then it was time to start some serious fiber work. About 90% of the side trenches will be lit by led tape but the front 2 1/2 inches will be lit by diffused leds as the led tape won't go that far so a couple of hours later and several bottles of beer we have this.

The masking tape was applied round the edges as I needed to apply some epoxy to those fibers to lock them into place.

Once the glue was dried I had a wee look to see what we have so far with regards to those windows. 100 down several thousand to go.

I hope you like what you see so far.
Iain

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »
Hi Iain. Great work on the SSD. You mentioned a collet for a Tamiya Handy Drill that would take a 0.5mm bit. I bought this off of Amazon US and it was inexpensive since I ordered other stuff to get the free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD2N3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The shocker was when I looked it up on Amazon.co.uk. Holey Moley!! That's at least 6 times what Amazon wants for it in the US. Anyway, for information's sake,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gyros-45-01801-Adaptor-039-Inch-Capacity/dp/B0000DD2N3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523156050&sr=8-1&keywords=Gyros+45-01801+Mini+Adaptor+Chuck%2C+0-Inch+to+039-Inch+Capacity+%28For+Dremel+Type+Tools%29

It does fit the Handy Drill's large static collet (barely) and it does work as advertised.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Enterprise © Bloc