Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 5414 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 09:35:23 am »
Iain, I find the use of FO stubs intriguing and scary!  Is the fit of the hull sections really that tight that you can successfully light block the join?  If SDs have a lot of lights, the SSD has uber amounts of lights...I don't envy all that work but the result is looking awesome.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2018, 02:55:52 am »
Thanks again guys.

Scott - the fit is really tight once the hulls will be joined. Like I said the kit is a real big one but if you look at it from the front and side it is really quite flat in appearance.

But here we go after some time off this build due to life, the universe and everything getting in the way of getting on with the build for you all.

Anyhoo! that's enough of my woes let's get on with the update shall we?

I have been dry fitting the detail parts for the upper hull to get a picture of where everything goes and trying to forsee any possible problems and it's just as well I did as some a couple of the areas I had marked out to be removed where just a wee bit too large and would have left some unsightly (but easily fixable) gaps so I just made some more pen marks and that was that.

The accent pieces in the following pics are just sitting loosely in place.

I for one can't wait to see my girl finished up as I think she will blow the other auction builds away (I hope so anyway!). One little niggle will be getting some lights into the bridge module as seen on the third picture above. It is just under 1inch across so lighting it up like last years build is out of the question but I reckon I can get about 10 individual fibers in there but probably not much more as there just isn't enough room. The bridge will have to be carefully hollowed out and once all the fibers are in place the underside will have to be rebuilt/scratch built up again but that can be easily achieved with this plasticard. Also some of the larger accent pieces are totally lacking any type of detail on their insides so I plan on using some of the detail pieces from one of the two big
Zvezda/Revell Star Destroyers I have to pimp those pieces up a bit and I'll order up some replacements from the makers.

So! There we have it for this short update and I would love to hear what you have to say about the build so far.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:25:50 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2018, 08:01:41 am »
Dude! How do you keep your sanity?!

This is awesome! Keep diving deeper into the abyss! :)

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2018, 09:05:54 am »
looks great Iain! Am loving this a lot and it's a great insight for me on how I will do mine.
I'm going to ditch the poor bridge in favour of the smaller (just) but better detailed bridge from one of those pocket Bandai SD kits. It'll work nicely I think

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2018, 11:06:07 am »
Thanks guys.

Mad - That is an amazingly brilliant idea and I am so glad I thought of it. Will need to dig the one I have "somewhere" and have a wee look at it.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2018, 12:37:21 pm »
Back again.

Got some good progress made on "The Empress" as The first pieces of the city sprawl on the upper hull got hollowed out and put into place.

And after a dusty (thank god for that respirator) couple of hours with the Dremel.

And once a couple of hundred FO strands where threaded through the pre-drilled holes.

After the hassles of having to redrill all the holes in the side trenches I have decided to have all the strands in place before we get to the primer and then painting stage and TBH some of the wee nooks and crannies need this done before gluing the piece into place.

Also been looking ahead and the bridge has been bugging me but Madhatter had a brilliant idea which I hope he doesn't mind me pinching. I have the Bandai "baby" Star Destroyer and as can be seen in the following pic there is little to no difference in size and also the Banda conning tower neck can be easily adapted for the big girl. The kit supplied bridge is in the middle. Thanks again Mad for that idea for the bridge.

Just a quick wee update for this time around. I am just waiting on the sanding drums for my Dremel to arrive and we can get crackin' with the rest of the build.

As always I appreciate any comments you have and I hope you like what you see.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:39:25 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2018, 05:16:58 am »
your welcome  ;D Don't forget to take pics of the holes and cuts you make as I want to see how well they all work out - good or bad

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2018, 05:47:41 am »
Back again for your weekly Sunday update.

The sanding drums arrived and I was able to get into the hollowed out areas in the main superstructure and widen them up,

Once I was happy with that it was time to start on some of the detail pieces.

A few hours later the holes were drilled and my sanity slipped away a bit further. Then I spent a happy couple of hours cutting lengths of FO to be threaded through all the wee holes. I have cut the lengths way too long but that gives me a lot of leeway when it comes to trimming them all and one led can be used to light up more FO windows as the strands stretch far enough.

Once all the strands were in place I used canopy glue to lock them into place and they were left over night to allow the glue to cure correctly.

And this morning I got one of the detail pieces g;ued into place and thankfully I did use that canopy glue as some of the glue had seeped through the edge of the piece but it was easy to peel away and give a flat area to glue into place. That would not have been posible if I had used 5min epoxy.

And before I head out just a quick look at how it will all look eventually and this is just my phone held up to the end of the FO strands.

Please comment on the build so far and I hope you like what you see so far.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:49:39 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:09 pm »
Back for a mid-week update as off to see Deadpool this Sunday.

Work has continued on "The Empress" and we are slowly but surely working our way along the upper superstructure and filling in as we go.

The largest area has been completed and once I sit down and start again we'll be at the tricky bit that will be the bridge and the city sprawl that it sits on and that is going to be a real swine to get sorted as we will have three different sections/parts going into a relatively small area and there will be three differing sections of FO competing for space so that should be fun.

Anyhoo! Like I said the third area of the city sprawl has been completed and I discovered a happy "accident" that helped finish this bit off and I will have to remember that for this rest of this build and others. The accident was that both sides of FO strands once threaded through the dremeled out sections went in different directions and if they both went forward/back there was no way that area was going to be closed up properly or without seriously breaking the model. Although each strand is only 0.5mm thick when you have over 200+ strands pushing against one another and all going the same way there is a surprisingly amount of force I had to fight against to get the resin piece attached to the main hull. But in going separate ways that "pushing" force was dramatically reduced (I hope that made some sort of sense).

The strands were threaded through and the piece was CA'd into place.

There we have it for now and as always I hope you like what you see and I would like to hear what you think of the build so far.
Iain

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:55 pm »
Whoa.  That is some serious fiber you've got there, Iain!  You've either found your calling, or someone will be calling to take you away;)  It will look so dramatic when finally lit, there will be nothing to compare it to!  Best of luck completing this one:)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2018, 02:27:07 am »
Whoa.  That is some serious fiber you've got there, Iain!  You've either found your calling, or someone will be calling to take you away;)  It will look so dramatic when finally lit, there will be nothing to compare it to!  Best of luck completing this one:)

Cheers mate and it will definitely be the former. :o
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2018, 05:19:52 am »
Guess who!

Thought I would post up the latest update whilst swanning about in my jammies.

Work continues to move along the city sprawl bit by bit as we continue to add one the detail pieces. The pieces I have been working with are the lower two in the next picture.

As with previous updates I hollowed out the pieces and once the FO strands where threaded through the holes that had been drilled the section was filled with canopy glue and left overnight to cure.

To make room for the FO's the areas they were to be attached to where dremelled out and the detail pieces with the FO's where threaded through and checked for any fit issues.

And using some CA glue the two pieces were attached to the main hull and volia!

And to finish off this wee update a quick look at how it looks lit up (sort of!). This just with my phone light held against the FO's.

And there we have it. Please leave any comments on the build as I would like to know what you think.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:08 am »
Looking great there Iain.
How are you finding it cutting through the resin? Easy enough? What are you using to hollow these pieces out with? Drill bit or something else?
My only critique (for lack of a better word) would be that the fibers seem a bit too big and may result in loosing some of the sense of scale. However, this is minor and doesn't detract from the awesome work you're doing
It'll be an incredible ship once it's done!
BTW, I'm going to borrow your paint colours as they look perfect to me

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2018, 01:28:43 pm »
Hi Mad.

Thanks for the comments and I know what you mean about the fibers but the next size down is 0.25mm and there is no way such a small bit is getting through that resin. I did try that size of bit but I broke four in as many minutes so that idea was quickly shelved.

I use a 5mm drill bit to drill down into each piece and then swap to a router bit to hollow it out.

The resin is very thick in places and many a 0.5 bit has been broken. One idea I have had was to warm the pieces up to see if you had that made them easier to drill but that met with limited success.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:09:17 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Often wrong Soong

• Ensign
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 04:05:11 pm »
You're nuts......it's gonna be glorious haha!!

Wayne

Enterprise © Bloc