Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 11099 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2018, 03:04:49 am »
that's interesting to know about the bit breakages. I am intending to go the  but use a drill press in an attempt to limit breakages.
Might need to stock up on #80 bits I think
My experience has been that resin is easier to drill through than plastic - mainly because the resin doesn't overheat and melt like styrene
I may have to rethink that

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2018, 04:16:45 am »
Hi Mad.

Better make sure that you have loads of those drill bits. Good idea on the drill press so keep me updated on that one. The resin in some parts is really thick and I had trouble getting a 0.5mm bit through it at times and there are four still embedded in the resin pieces after they broke and I couldn't get them out so I just cut off the ends and left them there.
Iain

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2018, 11:29:49 am »
This my friend is epic, I have built one resin kit in my life and I found it to be quite difficult, but your making it look easy :)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2018, 11:35:10 am »
Thanks Rocky!

And we're back again for another wee update on our girl.

Work has continued along the upper hull city sprawl and as always we are slowly but surely getting there as the "main block" is now finished and then I need to suss out the bridge area. 

As before I have hollowed out some of the detail pieces to allow the FO strands to be threaded through and this has been a challenge in itself as the resin parts are quite thin and a real pain to get ready without drilling right through. Once the pieces where hollowed out the FO strands where threaded through and the hollowed areas filled with canopy glue to lock them into place. These parts where left overnight to allow the glue time to cure correctly.

The next day it was time to drill through the main hull to allow room for the FO strands to be threaded thorugh.

Once the FO strands where sorted the detail pieces where CA'd into place and any gaps filled and sanded smooth to blend into the rest of the hull.

There were some extra pieces to be added along side the main sprawl but I did'nt hollow these out as before and instead just drilled straight through and threaded the FO strands into the holes and applied some more canopy glue to lock them into place.

And there we have it so far. I have started on the next section which will include the bridge area but got some twaeking to do before we attach the bridge module. The main side panels have been washed and pre-drilled and I will attach them at some point this week.

As always I hope you like what you see and please comment on the build so far.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2018, 03:40:49 pm »
This...THIS! Is the very definition of insanity!

You are handling it well, Iain!

Looking suhweet!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2018, 02:30:04 am »
Cheers Steve.

Been a trial by fiber but getting there. ;D
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2018, 05:16:58 am »
Looking very busy there Iain! I have so much to look forward to.  ::)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2018, 03:28:10 am »
Guess Who?

Yep! It's moi with the weekly Sunday update and after 5 months of drilling, swearing, cutting fingers, burning fingers, stabbing oneself in the leg (I'll explain that one day), and getting stoned on various fumes and CA gluing my fingers together numerous times we are nearly at the end of the actual construction phase of this years build. Still got a long way to go before I can even contemplate that the build is even close to being 100% finished but there's a wee flickering light at the end of a very long tunnel (Mm! I can be quite prophetic on an early Sunday morning) that we started down back in February.

Anyhoo! Let's get down to business and the main area which will be topped by the bridge module is pretty well done with just some detail greeblies to be added here and there alongwith some sanding/putty work.

The hole that you can see is for the few FO strands that will be fed up through to the bridge face and the flat area behind that will have some of those greeblies I mentioned earlier added before we start the major painting phase.

As I mentioned awhile ago I am not going to use the kit supplied bridge module but instead use the bridge from the Bandai "baby" Star Destroyer which can be made to fit with just some minor mods such as lopping the sides off and shortening the front end. Once it's glued into place and any seam work attended to I reckon it will look pretty sweet.

I have'nt fully decided as to how the bridge face will be lit and at this point I have two possible options. I can either a) Use fiber optic cable but will go down to 0.25mm diameter so it will be more in scale with the bridge. I had initially toyed with using .25mm FO all over the model but I broke the .25mm drill bits I had rather quickly and there was just no way such a fine drill bit was going to go through some areas of the model as the resin was just too thick and those bits ain't much thicker than a hair.

Option b) I could use 1 or 2 blue smd's threaded up through the bridge neck and illuminate the bridge "windows" from the inside. My only problem with that method is getting the blue of the smd's to match the blue of the leds used throughout the rest of the model and plus I don't have any blue smd's at the mo.

There we have it for now. I reckon the next update will have the upper hull finished and ready to be primed so hopefully something more interesting than looking at endless pics of wee holes all over the place can be shown. Next week will also see the much anticipated return of the now famous blue glowy things as it will be time to start getting all the fibers attached to their light sources.

As always thanks for following the build and please comment on what we have so far.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2018, 02:45:33 pm »
Me again.

We are so cooking on gas these days with this build. Like I said in the last post the actual construction of "The Empress" is about 90% done with all the FO work completed (I gave up counting the windows once we passed 2300 TBH as my wee brain cell just went "fart" at this point). The 0.25mm fiber for the bridge face is on the way so I need to sit down and figure out as to how I will light up the bridge once and for all. Space on the inside of the pieces I am going to use is extremely limited so we may only get 10 actual "windows" and if truth be known that is being very optimistic but it wouldn't be fun if it was easy now would it?

I took some better clarity pictures of the bridge set up to hopefully show how it will eventually look and to detail up the rest of that area I am using some detail parts from this kit, some spare parts I have for a Zvezda Star Destroyer, and the bridge/neck from the Bandai baby SD. Nothing is stuck down as yet but I just wanted to hear your comments and what we have so far.

The parts as seen in the pictures will need trimming and gap filling to blend it all in. I am going to hold off attaching the senor array and the deflector domws until last as they are just a couple of items I don't want to get knocked off if I can at all avoid it.

So! Let me know what you think and I'll be back at the weekend.
Iain

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2018, 04:34:53 pm »
Every time I open your posts on this SSD my jaw just drops!  It's amazing to see how many fibers you've threaded through that hull and how you've stuck with it!  You've set a new record for fibers in a starship and a new endurance record as well;)  Still watching in awe. 

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2018, 06:52:10 am »
Thanks AlW.

I am enjoying this build myself and hopefully she'll raise a few sheckles at the auction in November.

I do have to admit though I am looking forward to some builds of my own when the big girl is finished such as finally starting my own 1/350 Refit, Ironman, the big 22" Eagle and a couple of Batmobiles I have collecting dust in the stash.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2018, 07:15:49 am »
I like the redesign of the bridge section - it just looks right. I personally wouldn't go with the Zvezda parts as they look to big, unless you were to put some more shelves on it to cramp it up some more to be in line with the rest of the ship - other wise it'd just look to over scale
Other than that, yeah - I like where your going with it
Keep the pictures coming!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2018, 07:55:22 am »
Cheers Mad.

"My" idea of using the Bandai baby SD bridge seems to be working. ::)

Seriously though we're nearly at the end of the construction phase and now need to suss out where all the leds that will light up the fo's are going to internally which will be a brain teaser to be sure.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2018, 02:01:00 pm »
Howdy y'all!

A wee bit later than usual for the weekly Sunday update but just back from the new Jurassic Park film (pretty good!).

Anyhoo! this update heralds the return of all things blue and glowy as I got the led tape that will light up the side trenches installed and working as they should.

A slow process to be sure but each section was tested as we went along until all 16 segments comprising 6 leds each were in place.

I have each wiring connection soldered and heatshrink protected and next week sometime I will hot glue each connection down. The blue tape is just holding each section down temporarily.

And now the moment you have all been waiting for - the "Blue Glowy Things Cometh" (in other words just checking the tape once all the connections had been checked.

As always the camera washed out a lot but I reckon these will light up those trench windows perfectly. Once this lot is all hot glued down I can get started on installing the big leds to the various fiber bunches and we will be well on our way for the November auction.

Please comment on the build so far.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:04:29 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2018, 09:12:21 pm »
Iain,

I think you missed one fiber on that bottom piece of resin....just one fiber :)

James

Enterprise © Bloc