Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Star Destroyer  (Read 6315 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Super Star Destroyer
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2018, 03:26:21 am »
Yikes Dan!

That's a helluva mark up in cost for a small collet.

I did end up using my Dremel for the holes as I had forgotten I had bought a suitably sized collet for it ages ago and "discovered" it when I was going to use a sanding disc. Used it on the slowest speed and it worked a charm. Thank god it did as doing all those wee holes (1500 and counting) by hand would have made me fruit loopy.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2018, 12:24:27 pm »
Change of plan!

After getting one side trench started I did a dry run against the hull pieces and therein rose a wee problem.

At the front of the ship space is seriously limited and one side (the section I completed) was too much for that space so a bit of head scratching was begun after some "mild" expletives where uttered and eternal damnation was promised against the modelling gods.

So the FO strands that where already installed where cut off and smoothed down a bit.

And shown against a light source once the fibers were trimmed and re-glued.

I will order up a short length of double density blue led tape and use that to light up that front section. I just have to glue a short piece of styrene in the model to attach the extra led tape and that will be job done. I will still light up the last two inches with fo strands as planned.

Thanks for watching.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:08:48 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2018, 08:50:54 pm »
Loving the build.  This is on my list to build before I croak!

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 08:43:51 am »
Iain, I love your persistence with drilling out all those windows and lights!

Lovin the build!

Keep at it!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 10:33:55 am »
Thanks guys.

Just doing a section at a time (say 12 inches), taking a break for a day or two and then wash, rinse & repeat.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2018, 02:42:46 am »
One down and one to go.

After (lord knows how long TBH) a while, shall we say I have finished the first of the side trenches and after I give my eyes a rest I will crack on with the other side. The reason it has taken so long to get this far is that 99.99999% of the pre-drilled holes have had to be re-drilled as I went along as paint had gotten into them which was a total pain but we got there with the help of the olde' pin vice.

Starting off I just cut up the FO reel into 1cm strands in bunches of about 100 and went from there.

Once that was done one end of thepiece was dipped in canopy glue and threaded through the holes in the side trench in a cycle of wash, rinse & repeat until we finished last night. The trench was left over night to allow time for the glue to cure and we are leftt with a piece of resin looking like a hedgehog having a bad hair day.

When it comes to attaching the trenches to the main body I will trim off the ends of the strands with some nail clippers and voila - sorted.

There we have it for this update so tune in next time for more fun, adventure, high-jinks and so forth.

I hope you all like the build so far.

ps:- Note to self - no more Star Destroyers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:47:39 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2018, 03:03:41 pm »
That is a LOT of fiber optics!

Thanks - it does get mind numbingly boring/repetitive at times but once you get on a roll time just flies by. Still got the upper city sprawl to tackle so a few thousand wee holes to go. As long as she raises a tidy sum at auction night I'll be happy. ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:25:12 am by TK Iain »

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2018, 02:31:44 am »
Looks good Iain. Interesting idea with the FO's up front - I had wondered about the fit there and you've proved me right, although I hadn't come up with a solution.
Your using LED strips right? I found ones online that are Ice Blue which would be more in keeping with the filming model and look great and not so blue (if you get what I mean)
I'm interested in this approach to see how well it works. Although the front end was lit up white - not blue (who knows why but looking at images taken straight form the movie, they are white up front and blue everywhere else). Are you going to go down that route or stay with blue?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 02:41:43 am »
Thanks Mad.

I am just going to stay with the blue with the odd red highlight along the side trenches which I had never noticed before but there is a great section on the SSD on the Star Wars blue ray box set.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2018, 04:53:20 am »
Dang, I wish I had a Blu Ray player so I could get that set. I am using pics of the filming model from Modeller Magic: http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=1781 although I'm sure you would have already seen those.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2018, 03:01:16 am »
Honey! I'm home.

Been awhile since the last update but work has been going on as per usual and at last I have actually got something to show you all although I am sure that you are totally gutted there hasn't been endless pictures of wee holes being drilled. 

I can tell you that  :whistle: the blue glowy things have returned.

Anyhoo! better get on with the show I suppose.

The lower hull has finally be joined up with the two side trenches (I had to take a break from drilling holes as I started to loose my tenuous grip on my sanity but only about 4000 to go). Both side trenches were touched up first and left to dry overnight.

The next day it was time to attach the trenches to the rest of the model. Due to the size of the two pieces I just glued it down in sections of about 3 inches before moving on to the next bit until we got to the end and were done.

All that is left to do is to trim back all the ends of the fibers before the upper hull is attached but I will leave that bit until later on as I want to make a start on the upper hull and the "city" sprawl.

Prior to gluing the trenches on I did a quick check that the last two inches of both were clear of any obstructions as these areas will be lit by a 5mm diffused blue led due to the very limited space. The lights were again checked once the trenches were attached.

This morning I had another check for any light leaks along the lower join and found only three so some fabric paint was applied to take care of them.

And now the moment you have all being waiting for :- "The Return of the Blue Glowy Things".

I just laid some blue led tape along the inside of the trenches to see what she will look like when all done and dusted. Going a bit backwards regarding the led tape as it will be attached to the internal supports that run along the inside of the upper hull but again that part of the build is away down the line.

So! I hope you all like where we are with "The Empress" and thanks for all the likes, pm's and comments and I'll be back soon.

Ps:- Thanks Mad - I had never seen those pictures before but they have been added to the library.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:05:47 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2018, 02:26:21 pm »
You're making very good progress on this Iain.....   very persistent fellow aren't you!!

In case you are interested and missed it, here's a thread of a SSD build over at RPF.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=212957&page=2
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2018, 07:47:49 am »
uhm....wow...

Just WOW!  ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2018, 02:31:32 am »
Thanks Steve/Wolf.

I have been dipping in and out of the builds over on the RPF forum and I have found them to be extremely useful.

Anyhoo! On with this wee update.

Started work on the upper hull once I made sure that the completed lower hull/engines were safely stored up in the loft. All I have done is just give the model section a good scrub in hot (not too hot) soapy water in the bath (much to Eleanor's annoyance) to get rid of any lingering mold release agent and left it to drip dry for an hour or so.

Then the head scratching began as with such a big model I have found it best to tackle it in sections but as the upper hull is just one large piece, which I will measure at some point, that "sections approach" kinda goes out the window. So! once again an auction build comes down to me staring at it and just figuring out where to start and how to finish it. I come up with ideas as to do something with a model and sometimes that idea works or it doesn't so the planning starts all over again. This doesn't really bother me TBH just as long as the completed model looks the business and someone wants to bid for her and put some cash in the charity pot.

Later on today I will start on removing all the excess resin from the areas I marked out awhile back so that fiber optic can be threaded through. At this point I am going with the fo strands hooked up to individual leds approach to light up the upper hull but that may change down the line as like I have said previously although this kit is big at 38" long there is diddly-squat space inside her so some lateral thinking regarding the leds will be required.

One thing I do plan on getting done today is to cut grooves into the two metal supports on the inside of the upper hull. I will place led tape along those metal pieces and the grooves will allow the wiring to be run to the inside so I don't have tons of wiring all over the place. I will cut the grooves so that a series of six leds on the tape can be set on the metal along the lengths (did that make sense???).

There we have it for now and I hope you are enjoying this build as much as I am.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2018, 03:04:27 am »
Geez - your really motoring along with this one! Very interesting to see how your going about this and I've picked up some good pointers about the sidewalls for when I get to mine
Keep the pics coming and don't be shy about how many you post  ;D

Enterprise © Bloc