Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New modeler and the 1:350 Refit  (Read 610 times)

Offline Wmacky

• Ensign
New modeler and the 1:350 Refit
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:49:32 am »
First time modeler here taking on  the "expereinced only" Refit.  Looks like there are a few other modelers here doing the same. I know it would be better to start small, but I'm really mainly interested in the Refit, and haven't a lot of room to display other models. I do usually get obsessed, and go all out when doing a new project, so I hope that this and lots of reseacrh / practice will be enough. 

Here's where I'm at.  I purchased 2 of the original Polar Lights kits back in 2006. One I opened, the other remains sealed.  I'm used to ( and love) big involved projects, but I have little to no modeling experience other than a few stick built RC planes. Worse than that, My eyes aren't what they used to be, and finally the big one,  I'm red / green color blind as a fair percentage of males are.  For those that don't know, and means you can see colors, including red, and green, but shades are off, and can be confusing. THis is my biggest fear regarding a multi color  aztecing. I hope that following Boyd's examples exactly, and using the correct fish paint wil allow be to scrape by?  Thoughts?

I think the best way to start is to "rewatch" boyds video series along with a few more for a different perspective, and read through a few builds here and at other forums as well for building tips as well as putting togher a list of need building equipment, and parts / supplies.  I have a small list already.  I do have some intial questions if you  pros would care to comment

1. I have original kits.  Were there any mold changes in the 2 other runs?  Anything here to be aware of?  Mounting changed, but did thia affect the model proper? BTW I will be using a large custom " wood and plexi" lighted base with a single pipe support to the bottom of the hull.

2. Lighting  - I want everything. I'm good at soldering, and fair at electronics. Not sure if I should do a kit, do my wiring with boards by others, or attempt it all with Adurino project boards.  WHat do the majority here do?

3.  Leds  -  Lots of good info on led size, and placements, but I see almost nothing ever mentioned about brightness  ( thusters / Nav / srobes) Why not?  I see leds are rated by "MCD brightness numbers"  To make matters worse some LEDS appears not to be rated at all. Because of the current extreme brightness ranges of leds, I'm wonder why this isn't ever mentioned?  I don't think Boyd discussed this at all in his videos?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:02:35 am by Wmacky »

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Re: New modeler and the 1:350 Refit
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:31:04 pm »
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, you are a brave soul tackling the widowmaker on your first outing.  Might I suggest some of the 1000 scale kits to get your feet wet first?  The 1/1000 Scale refit is a wonderful kit that will get you started on things like glue, seams, paint, and decals. 

I was the same way.  I had to have a refit, but had no experience.  I started with 4 smaller kits, and once those were built I tackled the 350 scale.  I did an 'ok' job. 

Also, for a beginner who hasn't done any painting before, I would stick with the aztec decals.  They are super excellent and a lot easier to apply. 

These days, I use an arduino for lighting.  It's pretty easy to get some electronics going.  If this is the part you're really good at, go nuts.  :)

And lastly, read tons of build threads.  Get practice using them as examples. 

I've started a youtube build series on the 350 scale refit for the modeler who might not be as experienced as Boyd.  It's sort of the 'anti-Boyd' build. :D  It's here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEExPKjJS38&list=PLoSt2wpd1whnOe8BLkCEX5GJ1FI9pqv1f

Welcome to the sickness! ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:33:26 pm by MattA »
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:54:05 pm »
As for LED brightness, I for one do not know what MCD means in a model, so I don't use it as a reference.  Design your LED circuits, test them out, and adjust resistance as desired to reduce lumens.  Just saying, for a first time modeler you seem to have done wicked research!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Wmacky

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:17:40 pm »
Thanks guys! Looks like this forum will be a great resource.  Matt, I'll be checking out those videos. So far they look great.  Yeah Scott, I have done some research. As a matter of fact I've been reading about and watching online builds about this  Refit for about 12 years. I've probally forgotten more than I know, but even though I don't know how to hold a exact knife properly I feel like an old Refit veteran!  Even though I'm new to modeling, I do have decent DIY skills. My last project was this scratch built mobile drone command center. I built it into a ar-15 rifle case!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:04:44 pm by Wmacky »

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:55:00 pm »
I think you will do fine.  :)

Offline Wmacky

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:48:45 pm »
I think you will do fine.  :)

Thanks James.  Did you get my email address?

Been busy the last few days, watching the Boyd videos along with others, do get a vague overall gameplan and to gather a list of build products, and tools to purchase. I'm about to put in a order for putty's, glues, primers, and chemicals. I just purchased TM's color guide, and now have the lists of his recommended paints. I guess I could go ahead and get the photoetch sheet, and the Drydock masks.  I'll wait on the electronice why I decide what I want to do. I do know I want to do  later movie shutttlebay chaser lights, even though I'm going with  the STMP Refit version ship/

I have some modeling type tools already, I'm need a airbrush setup. I'm no artist, so it's only for painting models?  Any recommendations, or thread you could point me to for this decision?  Also, I see boyd using a spray gun for large areas. Is this recommended?  He's doesn't discuss it really. I guess it is a smalle detail gun?  I wonder if it's HVLP or the older high pressure type? Is there a paticular forum favorite model?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:04:29 am »
Wmacky, yup, you'll do fine!

About the airbursh - unless you want to start with the best (Iwata) I would recommend a more...economical solution over the $$$! I bought a Master Airbrush Professional 3 Airbrush Kit with Compressor and Air Filter/Regulator from Amazon for around $100. It comes with 3 airbrushes, a compressor, hoses and cleaning brushes. I am learning about airbrushing techniques and usage without worrying about damaging an expensive one with my ignorance. Just a thought.

Boyd, rumor has it, painted cars at one point and is familiar with the larger ones over the smaller but they operate on the same principle. A recent viewer gifted him an Iwata and Boyd was very pleased with the professional grade model over the more economical one. But it is your choice. There are many websites about craft airbrush selection and top 10 best buys; most of which start with Iwata as the first pick. It's really up to you.

Way to jump in with the refit! I look forward to seeing your build!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Wmacky

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:08 am »
Wmacky, yup, you'll do fine!

About the airbursh - unless you want to start with the best (Iwata) I would recommend a more...economical solution over the $$$! I bought a Master Airbrush Professional 3 Airbrush Kit with Compressor and Air Filter/Regulator from Amazon for around $100. It comes with 3 airbrushes, a compressor, hoses and cleaning brushes. I am learning about airbrushing techniques and usage without worrying about damaging an expensive one with my ignorance. Just a thought.

Boyd, rumor has it, painted cars at one point and is familiar with the larger ones over the smaller but they operate on the same principle. A recent viewer gifted him an Iwata and Boyd was very pleased with the professional grade model over the more economical one. But it is your choice. There are many websites about craft airbrush selection and top 10 best buys; most of which start with Iwata as the first pick. It's really up to you.

Way to jump in with the refit! I look forward to seeing your build!

Steve

Too Late  :)

I have made he purchase, but may have spent too much considering I'm no artist.  I purchaed a Awata Eclipse brush, and a Sparmax TC620X compressor. I try to budget where I can. but with painting, I need all the help I can get, or buy!  :-[
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:32:17 pm by Wmacky »

Offline Wmacky

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:14:21 pm »
Not much of an update.  Still researching, and ordering stuff as I formulate a list of both tools, and supplies.

THe Iwata Eclipse airbrush, and compressor came in. They seem really nice! I'll start learning how to use it.
Next week I have 3 more shipments arriving, with more tools, all the TM recommended MM paints, and finally glues, and adhesives.

As I mentioned, my eyes aren't as great as they were at one time. I already have one of those desk mounted florescent ring lights with a central magnifier glass. but there are times when I wished I had a little more for the really small stuff. That shuttle bay was worrying me so I went kinda crazy, and ordered this beast. I have no idea if it will be helpful with this build. but I know it will help with solderimng small stuff!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:23:16 pm by Wmacky »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:47 pm »
I think you will find the bridge to be the single biggest small size challenge. With the shuttlebay, it's all about the fit inside the secondary hull and getting the light in there for the viewports. With the bridge you have the small viewscreens and the photo etch railings and control panels, decals, and little people if you decide to use them. But the magnifier will help you see all of that. Now you just have to find some tiny helpers to do the grunt work. ;D
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Enterprise © Bloc