Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a copy of the 1/537 scale vac u formed USS GRISSOM kit  (Read 408 times)

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
Hello,

I am hoping to finish my Star trek III model collection.  And am searching for the old 1/537 scale vac u formed kit of the USS Grissom.  as I wish to light the model up. and it fits in with my 1/537 scale models.   Any help on locating one of these would be greatly appreciated!

I look foreword to hearing from anyone on this kit. and I thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

J.T. Kirk

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
Re: Looking for a copy of the 1/537 scale vac u formed USS GRISSOM kit
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 01:47:19 pm »
Thanks for the link IMWOLF, but it looks like that is a UK price tag, and shipping would be allot.  I'm hoping to find something here in the states, and plastic not resin.   I always worry with resin kits of them getting knocked off a shelf and shattering.   

I do thank you for the info and reply thought,
                                                               Kirk

Offline Grue

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:04:41 pm »
There used to be a vacuform model of the Oberth. I don't know what scale. It was done by a company called SFSM - I think out of New York but they've been out of business for years.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:58:50 pm »
There's also going to be a 1:1000 pair kit of the Klingon Bird of Prey and the Grissom this year from Round 2.  Not 1/537, but it would be in scale to the Excelsior and the 1:1000 refit Enterprise and 1:1000 Reliant.

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:02:50 pm »
I seen Round 2 was going to do the bird of prey and grissom in 1/1000 scale  in that scale those two ships are too small.  they would be more like toys  than actual models. sort of like the old micro machines Uss Grissom and the bird of prey.  would had been nicer to see round 2 doing the grissom to scale to their existing bird of prey kit, now that would had been a model.

But Thanks for the information anyway.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:09:15 pm by J.T. Kirk »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:33:04 pm »
Unfortunately, I think the issue is that the sci-fi genre is just not as marketable for the model companies as we sci-fi fans would like. Automobiles and military kits are still kings in the model world, and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future. Sure the big Star Trek Enterprise kits are marketable, but even most non-sc-fi fans have heard of Star Trek and the Enterprise, if not seen it. But the other supporting cast ships, so to speak, are unknown to most outside the genre. The model manufacturers make decisions on what they feel they can successfully market and sell in quantity. It kind of sucks, but it is what it is. Star Trek fans in the hobby have been clamoring for a 1/350 scale Reliant and/or Klingon D-7 or K'Tinga battlecruiser for a while now. So far, no luck. But the next new muscle car to hit the streets will have a kit of it within a couple of years. And I believe there are 8 new WWII German Panther tanks going to hit the market this year from various kit makers. It's just the way it is, unfortunately.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:16:08 am »
There used to be a vacuform model of the Oberth. I don't know what scale. It was done by a company called SFSM - I think out of New York but they've been out of business for years.

You are correct Grue....  That "garage kit" is long out of production so you'd have to stumble onto a copy of it.

HDA (Jerry) started to build one of these vaccuform kits a while back.... not sure if he got it all done?

Also, like many other models, the actual specs on the Oberth class are sort of a guessing game, so who knows what scale you actually get. It will be interesting to see the size comparison in the upcoming 1/1000 kit.

For now, the only stated 1/537 kit is the resin WarpM product for which I posted a link above. Since Kirk didn't seem too interested I went back and snagged the last one on the shelf.  :b  (maybe they can get more?).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:17:42 am by ImWolf »
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:34 am »
The warp one was interesting, but I had a resin Nebula once.  it was accidently knocked off the shelf and shattered soon as it hit the floor.  So I tend to stay away from resin kits after that.

plus as I said it looked like the price was in euro's which meant over sea's shipping and I for now have to work on a budget so that was out of the question.

However I did appreciate it.   from how it is looking, I have the plans for this ship  so I may have to think about attempting scratch building at some point.

Enterprise © Bloc