Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: primer  (Read 391 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
primer
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:05:53 am »
My question is what primers do you use prior to airbrushing with acrylics?

My kits have mostly been primed with plain old rattle can paint of one color or another that will bond well with plastic.  I was wondering about other primers, things like Vallejo (which is probably only available by mail to me, which would be ok), Mr. Surfacer, and others I am not aware of.

Mind sharing your thoughts?  (or posting links to already completed threads?)

Thanks!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: primer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »
Just about all primers should work under acrylics. If you're not sure, you can do a test set first on a scrap of styrene sheet.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:47:23 pm »
I use rattle can primer of various brands ( krylon, duplicolor, etc) when preparing a model for acrylic paint.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 04:07:45 pm »
I've been using the Duplicolor professional grade automotive filler primer that Boyd recommended. I've only been able to get it at O"Reilys auto supply store. And they won't ship it because of the combustion risk.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:19:40 am »
Thanks all!  I was wondering if any of the primers might be 'thinner' than the others, as in a fine thin layer of primer.  I haven't seen an issue using rust-o-leum or krylon, just wondering if something like Mr. Surfacer 1000 (et al) was worth the cost.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:30:00 am »
I have to say I swear by Stynlrez/Ultimate primer now and use nothing else at this time. ;D
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:07:02 am »
Thanks all!  I was wondering if any of the primers might be 'thinner' than the others, as in a fine thin layer of primer.  I haven't seen an issue using rust-o-leum or krylon, just wondering if something like Mr. Surfacer 1000 (et al) was worth the cost.
If thin is what you want,  then Tamiya fine primer.  Good stuf, but expensive

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:23:07 pm »
thanks for the great ideas!

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 06:39:22 pm »
I've used transtar, duplicolor, vallejo, AK interactive, and stynylrez primer.  By far the best for me was stynylrez.  But it's not the cheapest.  From my experience - Vallejo was the worst if you have to sand.  Stynylrez is the best.  Duplicolor is a close second to stynylrez and is fairly cheap.  Get mine from O'Rielly's.  The rest I get online.  Also, keep in mind - if you DO NOT need to do any/much masking - then go for the cheapest selection.

Cheers!

Simi

As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39:59 pm »

Mr. Surfacer is pretty good when you get to that. About as easy to use as the aforementioned Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, comparable to Tamiya acrylics in terms of getting it into the airbrush and spraying.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:36:38 pm »
Thanks all.  After weighing everything I decided to go with Stynylrez, and so far it looks pretty awesome!  thanks again!

Enterprise © Bloc