Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hoping I did not ruin my Klingon bird of prey kit.  (Read 631 times)

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
hoping I did not ruin my Klingon bird of prey kit.
« on: February 11, 2018, 12:40:47 pm »
Hello All,

I was working on my half built AMT Klingon Bird of prey.  I had started it several years ago  then packed it away when my work schedule did not leave time for model building.  However the lower pod section where the torpedo tube is was a part that had not been added yet. in fact it has not been painted.  the only things done were the view ports had been drilled out as I wanted to light the model. and the tube backing plate installed. that was it.   Well, after seeing where someone had opened up the ring of red lights around the torpedo tube and filled it with crystal clear tinted red. that lit up like the ILM filming model.  I decided I wanted to do the same thing.  this is where I mat have ruined the kit.  Going to Harbor Freight I bought a set of mini reamers, these come in a two box set and have several sizes some as thin as a hair. well I set in and started reaming out one side of the ring. which opened up nicely.  however two of the holes actually show in the back of the torpedo tube backing plate.  which  did not make me a happy camper.  I'm hoping once I thread small fiber optic into the ring openings  I can putty over where they run through the side of the back plate and made the two holes in the back of.  or should I just toss this old kit onto the ruined pile and forget it?

Any Advice would be appreciated.   And I Thank You for your time,
                                                                                             J.T. Kirk

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: hoping I did not ruin my Klingon bird of prey kit.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:39:21 pm »
Would you post a photo?  I can't quite picture the problem.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:48 am »
JT I have decided the best route (for me at least) is to learn to make molds and cast my own parts.  That way if I screw something up I still have the original part.  Plus I should be able to cast a part like this in clear.  I don't know if it will be easier to cast in clear and then paint/light block the areas that won't be lit, or just try to drill things out.

I'm going to be trying out this stuff...
https://www.micromark.com/Composimold-Heat-and-Pour-Mold-Rubber

What looks interesting about it is that you can reuse it over and over again.  That should be a cost saving right there.  I know I'll end up with some bad pieces before I get it perfected, so this would take some of the sting out of expenses.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:33:28 am »
I think I need to see a picture as well if you can post one.

By the backing plate, do you mean the molded tab that the back of the torpedo insert sits against, or do you
mean the back of the insert itself?

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:11:49 am »
I will see about posting one if I can get my camera to zoom in on it.  But I will post one if it comes out.

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:08:43 am »
Here's the damage that was done.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:45:52 pm »
Okay, I see now. Thanks for putting up a photo.

I had to drill the lower windows at a more extreme angle to deal with that, but even then I can tell the plastic is rather thin at those points.

My first gut feeling would be to fill those holes in with something than can be sanded and drilled when it dries (maybe epoxy putty or Apoxie Sculpt),
then try drilling again at a different angle. Maybe someone else could chime in on what to use???

If you want to run fibers, that might work, going by the photo you posted. Just be sure your putty doesn't have any chemicals/solvents
that can attack the fibers.

As a last option, I would order replacement parts straight from Round 2 here: http://round2corp.com/request-a-part/

It looks like you have the older kit, but it was re-re-released in 2016 by Round2, so they should still have replacements parts available.
Just download the form and fill it out. I had to do that with my 1:350 classic Enterprise. It took about ~4 weeks, but I got the part.
Here is the link to the instructions if you need info. Round2's instructions list seems to be down:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VamOuv1cwYivzmXfe0IbTC_tQ9SzsXj8/view?usp=sharing

Spencer
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:47:46 pm by Spencer »

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 03:00:16 pm »
Thanks Spencer, I appreciate the reply.  Yes all my Trek kits are the older AMT/Ertl kits.  I'm just hoping the putty will do the trick and save the model.  other wise a battle damaged Bird of prey might have to be what the model becomes, if I don't just toss it if I can't repair it.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:42 pm »
This looks fixable to me.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:47 am »
I say putty, smooth, and reconsider the lighting method.  At worst the lights aren't precise, but it doesn't seem to warrant boxing.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:08:29 pm »
What other way to light it would you suggest?

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:55 pm »
used Testors canopy glue and window maker to fill in the holes at the back of the torpedo tube bay. filled them in pretty well. now just need to figure out how to do te lighting around the tube. Any suggestions?
                                     Kirk

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:16:30 pm »
You could try contacting Round2 for a replacement part. I was able to do this for an AMT car model I'm working on. I also bought a replacement decal set for my Polar Lights 1:1000 Refit.

Enterprise © Bloc