Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does Anyone else but me who Thinks sometimes we Trek modelers go too far?  (Read 88 times)

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
Some times I find myself looking at my work area, over my Star Trek models and find myself asking myself, Do we trek modeler's go to far at times?  We go out of our way to get that ship model that we admire so much, at times no matter the cost ( which could be bad when your on a budget) then are most of us happy to just build the model straight from the box?  No we want so badly to have a copy of that lighted studio model that once again cost be damn we plunge in and get tools and electronics to try to turn our model kits into mini replica's of the studio models we admire and want so badly.  in fact it almost becomes an obsession, and pushes both our budgets and nerves to the breaking point.  How many of us  have actually gotten mad, and fumed for weeks if not longer cause we screwed up on a model. and cussed like a Klingon throwing the kit in the trash, tossing tools back in their storage drawers, boxes, etc.  biting off family, friends, the first person we see heads cause were so upset over ruining a model we tried to turn into something it actually wasn't meant to be, only our obsession with having a copy of that studio model we were doing our best to turn into.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT making fun of this. as I'm guilty of doing these things myself with my model kits.  Just sometimes I find myself asking, why are you going through all this?  couldn't you be happy with the model as it came?  are you that obsessed?  could it be you have gone too far?  or are we just that devoted not only to Trek, but also the hobby. Personally I think it is a combination of devotion, being a true modeler, and a bit of insanity.
 Just thought I would toss that out there and see what other modelers think?

Kirk

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Does Anyone else but me who Thinks sometimes we Trek modelers go too far?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:14:15 pm »
You know what they say about there being a fine line between genius and insanity? I think it's true. It's easy to become obsessed with the minutia of a particular build, but that's actually part of the attraction. To lose oneself in a build and put the days' troubles aside for a bit. But yes, it's also easy to go to far. You have to learn when to walk away. And also to know your limits. There are many on here who are what I would term master builders, at least compared to myself. Techniques and ideas come easily to them, and problem solving is just another part of the process. For me, it's not as easy. I want to complete the perfect build and have it turn out exactly as I envisioned it. Hasn't happened yet. But I have yet to get so frustrated that I trashed a kit. Felt like it? Sure. But so far, not yet. But I have 4 stalled builds, or is it five, and only one has received attention in the past several weeks. When I get frustrated with a project, I set it aside and look at the stash and pick out something that intrigues me on that day. But I think in the end you hit the nail on the head. It's a bit of devotion to a craft that you enjoy, and a bit of insanity when the devotion turns to outright stark raving madness. ;D
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 11:34:24 pm »
J.T.: I think this is a good discussion point.

Yes, I think we all go too far sometimes, but that's not really a bad thing.   One of the less obvious skills we develop as modelers is learning to decide JUST how far we want to go when building a subject that we love.  As we develop this, we are bound to go both too far and not far enough.

Don't go far enough?  You end up with a feature that can bother you ("If I had just put a couple more hours into this little feature, the model would look sooo much better").

Go to far?  You end up with a model that may be beautiful, but because of the disproportionate amount of work that went into it, you feel unsatisfied with the results relative to the investment.

When you have it just right, you look at the model, and you can see the "imperfections"  and recognize that the choice was correct for the build, giving you a sense of satisfaction.  You look at the detail you chose to invest heavily in, and feel satisfaction in your accomplishments.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:37 am »
J.T.  I agree that it can be an obsession :)

I love Trek, and am intrigued with building lit kits, but sometimes it takes the fun out of things.  I've been out of modeling for over 20 years and jumping into a lighted Trek build probably wasn't the best idea to get back into things.  I've taken a little break for sanity reasons and started doing some builds that are quick, easy and FUN!  I'll get back to the Trek builds but probably not until after I move and setup a dedicated shop (I have 10,000 sqft to play with!)

Sometimes I do think things get a little too crazy though.  Lighting is one thing, worrying about something being 1 or 2 mm off is way out of my league!  Maybe down the road I'll have the skills to do things like that but for now I have to make a compromise.  Besides, nobody I know would be aware if something is off or not :) (The problem is WE know!)

I plan on getting a 3D printer, and right now I am learning how to make molds and cast parts.  My guess is when I get the printer I am probably going to be one of those 'obsessed' people lol

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 05:04:09 am »
If you spent to much time or money on your learning or enjoyment...... you went too far!

If you didn't spend enough to learn or enjoy that experience..... you went too less.....

End Transmission
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:02:39 am »
LOL going too far is spending over $300 on a 350 scale Reliant conversion kit and finding out it will probably never be built!  I don't know anyone that's actually finished one, including the guy that cast the parts!  At least I have never seen a picture of a completed one let alone a full build video!  Boyd started one and only made two videos and I never saw anything else.  If he didn't/couldn't finish it there is no way I'm going to be able to!

Going to far is having a quest to have everything in 1400 scale!  Or buying Aztec decals and parts for kits you don't even own yet!  Lastly going too far is thinking about buying a 3D printer just so you can make your own custom parts and try to make a 537 scale 1701-D!  Oh... or thinking about building every TOS Constitution Class in the fleet, including the ISS, pilot Enterprise, Cage version, and now the Discovery Enterprise...  If you think like that you probably have the disease!

Enterprise © Bloc