Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galactica 1/4105 Revell  (Read 661 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
Re: Galactica 1/4105 Revell
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 08:09:31 am »
Been out of town, then not feeling well, so it's nice to get back to it.
First for today is the mock up before major hull sections get cemented.  I am SOOOO! grateful for the tip regarding use of the oven to bring stubborn plastic into shape.  Once the flight pod housings were installed, test fitting showed the lower edges did not align quite right, and the stern section was pinched and had to be pried out.  I preheated the oven, clamped everything in the desired shape, baked for 20 minutes, then cooled.  Amazing.  Whereas before the hull sections had to be cajoled to join up, now they slide slide right together.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:47 am »
This is what the two major hull sections look like with all the wires run.  After every solder job every affected light is tested.

Of course, right after this pic was taken the wires from the upper and lower sections were soldered and none of the lights worked.  After staring in disbelief for a few minutes I recalled a similar problem years ago.  In this case, after all the wires in the upper half were soldered and tested, they were taped primarily to make sure the wires don't sneak back in after assembly.  Alas, a little carelessness and at least one pair was touching.  After retaping, everything worked.

Attached is another pic of the lower gator head now attached.  This had to be done before the hull halves are assembled. 

Most of the tape is just to keep things out of the way for assembly.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:57 am »
And the last one for now.  Wiring for the two sections joined, op test sat.  Just need to apply some 'goop' to the bare wires and then it will be ready to assemble.  Flight pods will be added when painting complete, and the jury is out on whether the engines will be installed after priming or once complete.  I am slightly concerned I may not have left myself enough wire to do the work...time will tell.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:03 am »
Hey Scott. must've missed the tip on baking parts to get them to fit!  I've soaked parts in hot water before, but haven't baked any!  Can you elaborate on the temp and time?

BTW, looking good.  You're lighting has a great deal of realism and scale.

Al

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 03:28:39 pm »
Al, I got the tip on baking on another thread.  Preheat oven to 170F, clamp parts in the desired arrangement, put them in for 20 minutes.  One recommendation is to put the parts right into the freezer, but I let mine cool on the counter and that worked as well.

Enterprise © Bloc