Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine  (Read 161 times)

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:41:24 am »
Hello to all

Started working on a conversion that I have been thinking about for a long time, USS Saratoga from Deep Space Nine
 I could not find a 1/1000 conversion , I thought I had seen one somewhere , So I picked up the a Alliance conversion.
 upon getting all the parts washed and checked, it took me almost 2 days on and off sanding filling all the air bubbles and
 mold lines. The sensor shields were the worst, I still have some more sanding and filling to get them where I want them
 after 2 days of that I thought I would turn my attention to the warp engines, I did not want to use the DLM inserts, So I
 thought I would try something different, The pictures you see are the result of my attempt, No after market parts were used
 but I did spend the better part of a day cutting. Also I will be toning the blue down maybe some more, I want to keep the blue
 toned down and to keep it in scale, I could not find any pictures with the Saratoga with its warp engines lighted and I know
 most of the Reliant class in Deep Space Nine had both sides lighted, but I am only going to light the inside of each engine
 The pictures below is my progress so far, I am a very slow builder. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:59:32 am by charlie-mike-six »

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:04:26 am »
Also I will be toning the blue down maybe some more, I want to keep the blue
 toned down and to keep it in scale, I could not find any pictures with the Saratoga with its warp engines lighted and I know
 most of the Reliant class in Deep Space Nine had both sides lighted, but I am only going to light the inside of each engine

To my knowledge, the physical Reliant filming miniature didn't actually have the violet grill nacelle lighting the way the Refit Enterprise did. And the DS9 "both sides bright grills" lighting came about when they switched over to CGI for most of the effects.

That said, there's definitely arguments for all three; not lit because we never saw it lit originally, purple inboard grills because the Enterprise had them and the two ships shared the engine design, or full on both sides bright blue because clearly there was a major refit program afoot sometime during DS9.

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:53 am »
 I agree on three accounts, The only shots of the Saratoga on DS9, the ship was using impulse drive so the warp engines
would not be lighted, So I am going to go on the impulse that during the first shows was before the Miranda refit where
both sides of the engines was lighted, and after the Enterprise was destroyed in STIII, Being the 1701A was the USS Yorktown
renamed to USS Enterprise 1701-A, I will use the theory that the Yorktown had a upgraded warp engine, from violet to blue
so I will use the blue. of course I could be wrong on all accounts, But is sounds good anyway.

Offline holt35

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 01:45:42 pm »
No reason they can't be lite but if it were me I'd have a separate switch from the other lights to turn them on and off. Someone did make a vacuformed conversion kit for the 1/1000 Reliant kit but I can't remember who it was and Multi-Verse model has one in the works but they didn't know when it would be out.

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
Re: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine Update 2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:11:48 pm »
Hello to all

Thought I would post a small update, Engines are coming along, waiting on some small parts, So I turned my attention
to the big sensors. I got the first coat of paint on them, Mr Color Super White and International Orange. It took a lot
of work just to get them to this point, The conversion takes a lot of TLC. I know they are not perfect but it is the best
I can do. I should get them together and decaled this weekend maybe ! I am a slow builder. I am also working on the
lighting, and drawing out the plan. I should post another update next weekend.

Bye for now ! 

Enterprise © Bloc