Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 refit question  (Read 242 times)

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
1/350 refit question
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:08:59 pm »
Hi. I'm new here after a long time of watching all your builds. Gives me hope for my attempt on the Widowmaker (1/350 refit). My first - of probably many - question is: I've already put the lights in the saucer. So when priming/painting, what are my best bets for masking the LEDs and/or the holes for the navy lights and RCS thrusters, etc.?

Like I said, I've read a lot of the builds here, but for that particular step I haven't found any recommendations.

Thanks!

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
Re: 1/350 refit question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:50:49 am »
For the protruding clear bits like nav lights I used tiny dabs of plain white glue (e.g. Elmer's). After painting you can remove it with the tip of a #11 X-Acto blade. For the windows I used the masks included in the Orbital Drydock masking set (trading $$$ for time saved), but you could also make your own masks with some Tamiya tape and a good punch & die set. I masked the RCS thrusters and other odd bits with Tamiya tape cut to size with a very sharp scalpel (#11 X-Acto blade would also work), a good straight edge (stainless steel ruler), and a cutting mat. Actually, a punch & die set, scalpel, straight edge, cutting mat, and Tamiya tape will allow you to mask darned near any small details on any model. A good circle cutter would round out the set of tools (I used them to cut masks for model plane wheel hubs).

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:38:28 pm »
Luquid mask agents would work too.

Online Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:05:20 pm »
I sell a window and clear parts mask set for that model. Message me for details.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:47:10 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

Enterprise © Bloc