Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon worth the money?  (Read 459 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Is the Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon worth the money?
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:14:12 pm »
The reason I am asking is I found a hobby shop near where my brother lives.  That's good right?  Well maybe... maybe not!  ;)

You see they have this thing called 'layaway'!  They have some good kits, even some that are out of production.  For example they had several NX-01 kits in 350 (2) and 1000 (2)... now they have no NX-01s!  Anyway, I normally wouldn't spend $340 on a kit, but doing it as a layaway makes it seem less painful on the wallet, at least in one shot.

They also have a Polar Lights 350 TOS lighting kit, does anyone know if that is any good?  I saw a video on it and it seemed to cover all the bases as well as had some additional parts for a lit build.  They have BSG kits, a Proteus, several 350 Refits, and some 1000 scale Trek kits.  All are very reasonably priced.  The Falcon seems a bit high but I'm not sure.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: Is the Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:32:17 am »
It's been sounding like it is. I've been working on a Fine Molds Falcon in the scale for a bit, and that one ran almost $300.

One of our friends in COMMIES has seen the inside of the Bandai box, and "exquisite" was one of the words out of his mouth.

Given what I know of Bandai kits, it's likely worth every penny.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:42 am »
Having watched a few reviews of Bandai's 1:72 scale 'perfect grade' Millennium Falcon, I am confident that the exterior looks very nice.

I believe I recall that a point of criticism was that the figures that comes with the weren't that good.

Also, I suspect that the entry ramp area might be inadequate as far as detailing goes, though I am just speculating. Don't quote me on this, but I think that the ramp can either be lowered, or closed, not a moving part I suspect.

Whether or not it is worth the money I am not sure. It seems really expensive for a 1:72 scale kit.

Afaik, this version of the falcon, is said to be the original one, that has a slightly more rounded shape iirc, maybe not being as "flat" as the newer ones unless I am mistaken.

I would recommend checking out some Youtube videos, though OP has probably done so already, perhaps wanting feedback from someone with a more personal experience with this new kit on this forum. I recently went with the Enterprise refit kit in 1:350, so I passed on the Millennium Falcon in 1:72 scale this time around. :)

If I ever got this 'perfect grade' kit, I would be tempted to create some kind of landing area, and light it up or something, even though I probably can't build the entire landing area. Would be fun to maybe replicate the entry area inside the landing bay at Mos Eisley, where the Imperial stormtroopers started shooting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:35:03 am by Decoman »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »
I'm with Lynn, with what I've seen of Bandai to date, the 1/72 Falcon would be a work of art straight out of the box.  All the Bandai kits I've built are really amazing in both engineering and detail.  Though I cannot bring myself (yet!) to spend the money for this kit, I have no doubt it would be worth the money.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:44:03 pm »
I'm with Lynn, with what I've seen of Bandai to date, the 1/72 Falcon would be a work of art straight out of the box.  All the Bandai kits I've built are really amazing in both engineering and detail.  Though I cannot bring myself (yet!) to spend the money for this kit, I have no doubt it would be worth the money.
Yeah it is a lot, but I can put it on layaway :)
I paid more for the Don Shoko Enterprise to Reliant conversion parts and it will take years before I get the skills and enough nerve to tackle that one!   I fell in love with the Revell 1/29 (some say it's 1/30, I say it's more like 1/32) scale X-Wing and it got me into a Star Wars kick.  I'm thinking the PG Falcon is in my future :)

Enterprise © Bloc