Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius 2001: A Space Odyssey Discovery XD-1 1/144 scale  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: Moebius 2001: A Space Odyssey Discovery XD-1 1/144 scale
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 07:48:24 pm »
This time, we started the assembly of the spine onto the steel tube.Some measurements were made of the steel tube against the base of the sphere and the propulsion segment.To have the right amount of the tube plug into either end,one of the spine segments were glued with CA closest to the base rings.The cargo pods were lined up along a wood building board to key into the bottom of the spine.Next, each segment of the spine was cemented with plastic glue to the first segment and then glued with CA on the other end to the steel tube. The completed spine half was then laid on top of the cargo pods and taped down.The other half was assembled in the same manner.Both halves were left on the board to set up over night.

During the measurement of the tube,the aft half of the tube was trimmed about 2 1/2 inches.This should allow for enough room the wires to clear the back of the propulsion compartment.During the assembly of the spine parts to the tube,it was noted how easy it is to have a segment misplaced.The first segment towards the sphere slid while applying CA glue to the part.Once the glue set it was impossible to remove with solvent or force.The misplaced part was cut off of the tube. Fortunately,there are some duplicate parts on the runners.One more spine segment was assembled and the put into place on the tube.

Before stopping for the day,the wiring for the sphere's lighting was pushed through both halves of the spine to insure it could pass unobstructed.
For the fun of building art.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:48 am »
You're making good progress here Adam....

I've looked at a lot of finished and in progress builds of various kits, and most folks are frustrated by the "sagging neck" syndrome associated with this model. I can't imagine having two separate sleeved tubes will help that much?

I'm also surprised that Moebius supplied enough of this steel tube that you actually had to cut off 2 1/2".

Anywho....  looks like you're having great fun!!!    :b

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »
You're making good progress here Adam....

I've looked at a lot of finished and in progress builds of various kits, and most folks are frustrated by the "sagging neck" syndrome associated with this model. I can't imagine having two separate sleeved tubes will help that much?

I'm also surprised that Moebius supplied enough of this steel tube that you actually had to cut off 2 1/2".

Anywho....  looks like you're having great fun!!!    :b

Wolf

Thanks Wolf! This kit is a lot of fun! I can get tubing similar to this from an Ace hardware store and it's usually 36" max length. If one isn't careful, the spine can sag in the middle to be sure.The trick, I think, to having a mostly sag free spine is to glue the ends into the sleeve with CA glue while the spine is pinned or taped with the cargo pods held in place underneath.On mine, I attached the middle segment with the antennae dish to the forward half of the spine.After test fitting the aft half,it looks like it can be glued level while pinned to the board.An advantage to having the spine in two pieces is that threading the wire is easier.After about 5 inches or so,it'll kink up and stop.

The plan is to have some shelving brackets on the front and back end to support the sphere and propulsion segment and another at the antennae segment.If someone built the model stock the aft tube would go all the way through the middle engine for support.I found that the plywood bulkhead worked much better. ;D

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 02:38:15 pm »
If someone built the model stock the aft tube would go all the way through the middle engine for support.I found that the plywood bulkhead worked much better. ;D

Ahhh....  I see why you cut off some of the tube....  makes sense now.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 03:26:02 am »
If someone built the model stock the aft tube would go all the way through the middle engine for support.I found that the plywood bulkhead worked much better. ;D

Ahhh....  I see why you cut off some of the tube....  makes sense now.

:)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »
Over the last three days,all of the cargo pods were fully assembled.This part of the build has the most individual components thus far.After counting the completed pods,there are 60 in total.The smallest of the pods(the E) is the most difficult to assemble.Once a good method was worked out,one can proceed at a good rhythm.There was only one part that was missing(part no. 26) which was an inside back panel for the pods.It might have been lost or not part of the runner at all.The missing part was replaced with some sheet styrene and filled with white Squadron putty(performed on the last C pod).Fortunately,this minor detail will not be missed since it'll be facing another adjacent pod with similar characteristics.

After completing the pods,all of the top seams were filled with putty. It was thought that this might be unnecessary because this side faces the spine when attached.After a good look,the very small attachment points will not cover very much. After the putty dries fully,we'll begin some wet sanding.

Not pictured in this post,the engine bells were dry fitted to see where we might place the lighting.It seams that putting 3mm cool white LEDs may work for each of the six exhaust ports.Parts were ordered,so this step can be saved until the order comes in.

Today,I decided it was a good idea watch the film uninterrupted to glean some more ideas about the ships color and finish.Judging from the film,the various panels appear to have hints of blue,gray,brown and maybe red.This is maybe how it appears on the finished film but I think it can be replicated.As for the overall finish,it doesn't appear to be a completely flat finish.The work pods have a low gloss to satin finish.The scene where Bowman was maneuvering the pod to meet with the emergency airlock,the surface didn't appear flat.I may have to watch this again to be sure. 

Another detail that was pointed out by the kit source material was that the ship was not weathered.Looking again at the film,there doesn't seam to be much weathering at all.I did note that the other vehicles ( moonbus,Aries moon lander and Orion space plane) had varying degrees of burns,dust and wear marks. This is yet another detail worth looking at again.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:21:04 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 07:43:24 am »
Oh, the trials of "having" to do research and watch a favorite film!

Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing this one done as well, Adam!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:53:19 am »
Oh, the trials of "having" to do research and watch a favorite film!

Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing this one done as well, Adam!

Steve

;)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 12:31:18 am »
More work continued on the cargo pods to ready them for painting.All parts were dry sanded only with 150 and 600 grit paper.We opted not to wet sand since the parts were so small.Next,the pods upper surface needed to be marked for masking.One more extra spine part was assembled to aid for this.Masking tape was cut to match the contact points of the spine.The fit of the spine and pods were checked and then fitted with tooth picks for easy handling.

To isolate lighting of the bridge,a small light box was constructed from sheet styrene.This was made to fit only the window frame.After light blocking and final painting,the light box can be installed at a later time.A single one inch segment of warm white LED tape was tried for lighting.With sheet styrene in front of the LED tape,the appearance is a nice diffused display.There is potential to perhaps decorate the light box to simulate a limited interior.

When the LEDs come in,the engines are the next task for lighting.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:06:32 am by Mr Atoz »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:17 am »
Looking good, Adam!

I love light boxes. They really help to bring the light to exactly where you want it. Nice scratch build of it, too!

I think I know, but why did you not wet sand the pieces instead opting to dry sanding? Just a little curious.

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 08:29:59 am »
Looking good, Adam!

I love light boxes. They really help to bring the light to exactly where you want it. Nice scratch build of it, too!

I think I know, but why did you not wet sand the pieces instead opting to dry sanding? Just a little curious.

Keep going!

Steve

Thanks Steve! The cargo pods were difficult to grasp when working on them. Handling each part with just my thumb and forefinger was cramping up my hand! With the wet sanding,they would've slipped my grasp even easier. ;) One other thing to mention is that with a hole or two at the top of the part,water would seep in and stay a long time.The moisture could stay until the last coat of paint is laid and later leech into the finish.The dry sanding was a little more messy put it'll be a better finish later!  ;D 

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 06:36:01 pm »
Love the light box.  How do you plan on masking?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 07:50:20 pm »
Thanks Scott! For now,the light box isn't attached to the window frame so it'll be a matter of masking the clear windows with blue tape.As for the bridge,I've started marking the inside of the sphere and will have the inside light blocked.So far,the light box was a better idea than originally conceived.At first, I was just going to glue the LED tape to the top and use some thin sheet styrene to cover it.  ;)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 10:46:16 pm »
This evening,we decided to work on the lighting prep for the engines.To begin, the aft engine bell plate needed the two pegs cut off and drilled through.Next,the mounting surfaces of the plate on the hull were notched.This will keep the wires from being pinched.The plate was finally glued in place.

One of the bulkheads at the back of the engine bells was hollowed out.Next,electrical tape lined the walls of the back part for light blocking.Lastly, the engines were fully assembled,save for the exhausts.

During this project,it's noted how fragile many of the smaller parts are.For example,the outer panels for the engines are quite thin and have little surface area for glue on the outer edges.Great care was taken to glue two panels at a time and then wait for the glue to set.Thin cement (the MEK variety) is essential for clean,precise assembly.

During breaks, there was an opportunity to work out options for bringing the electronics together.For the time being,most of our electrical supplies were received.To make switching on the lighting easy,a switch could be soldered to a long lead,along with a 9 volt battery connector.This could be stuffed inside the model for photography and then pulled out during display.A hatch will need to be worked out later for this.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:04:47 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:20 pm »
Sooner than expected,a solution for a hatch was worked out for the remote switch.Different schemes were tried,such as hinges,magnets and the like.A simple flexible tab system was used to keep the door in place.To work out the door problem,a location was to be selected.Since the model has numerous natural seams,a hatch towards the front was a good choice.

Pin sized holes were drilled around the area that was to be the hatch.The walls are quite thick and slow to cut through.After cleaning up the rough edges,sheet styrene was built up around the edges to narrow most gaps.The fall out was beveled to key into the new opening.Now the hatch fits without binding.

Moving to another area of interest, the engines were modified to have a more stable mounting system.Without lighting,plastic posts and the steel tube provided solid support for the engines to stay straight.To work around this for lighting,hand rolled tubes from sheet styrene were made and mounted.It is a reasonable fit and will still pass four 30 gauge wires too.

Very soon,the 3mm LEDs will be wired and tested for the engine exhaust.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:52:18 pm by Mr Atoz »

Enterprise © Bloc