Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius 2001: A Space Odyssey Discovery XD-1 1/144 scale  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: Moebius 2001: A Space Odyssey Discovery XD-1 1/144 scale
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 08:00:55 pm »
During the week,more work was accomplished to make way for the lighting.For the bridge, the strip LED was epoxied in place and sealed shut. Next, six 3mm LEDs were wired and tested for the engine bells.As expected,the individual LEDs illuminated the exhausts with strong diffused white light.  We went with this look to imitate the scene from the sequel,2010 The year we make Contact.During the escape from Jupiter the engines were ignited to carry the Leonov and  the coupled Discovery from the anomaly.The engines appeared to be a bright white.The engines were not shown illuminated on the first movie.

Most of the large parts were coated with our trusty Tamiya light gray primer.A few places,so far, were revealed to need some filling and sanding.Areas to be light blocked were evaluated as to how much black will be used.The light box for the bridge,command sphere, and the engine bells are the only items so far.

Soon,we'll prepare for light blocking the mentioned areas and get ready for priming the smaller parts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:37:45 pm by Mr Atoz »
For the fun of building art.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 12:11:52 am »
The last two days was a concentrated effort to start some painting.To begin,contact points for the cargo pods,window frames,and joints for the larger parts were masked.After the primer was sprayed and left to cure,we prepared the parts for the base coat.All parts except for the command sphere were coated with multiple thin layers of plain flat white.

The engine exhausts were prepped for the flat black paint.The deep grooves were masked with folded masking tape and painted.After drying,the tape was removed and a couple of thin layers of more black was sprayed over the exhausts.Unlit,the exhausts appear to have deep grooves.With the lighting on,the the engines have an even glow.

The window frame and light box were glued into the upper half of the sphere.For now,we'll need to address any light leaks before joining the two halves.In the meantime the lighting harness was strain relieved with electrical tape and hotglue. More electrical tape may be used to for some final light blocking.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:46:38 am by Mr Atoz »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 12:38:05 pm »
I learn so much following your threads, Adam!

When you say folded tape, what exactly do you mean by that? Folded length-wise so it will fit in the grooves? I'm surprised you didn't get overspray.

If you have a pic and or a narrative of this technique, I would appreciate both!

Awesome as always!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 06:08:47 pm »
I learn so much following your threads, Adam!

When you say folded tape, what exactly do you mean by that? Folded length-wise so it will fit in the grooves? I'm surprised you didn't get overspray.

If you have a pic and or a narrative of this technique, I would appreciate both!

Awesome as always!

Steve

Thanks Steve! Well shucks! I knew that I should've taken pictures of the tape folding part! Oh well .. ::) :P But sincerely,it's quite an easy thing to do.I cut 1/8" strips at varying lengths to match the size of the grooves from center to each side.Then you take a strip at a time and fold it sticky side out lengthwise and push the fold side down into the groove with the backside of the hobby knife.Now the edges will not be perfect but that's okay,we just want to keep any paint from dripping into the grooves. ;) After it's dry, remove the tape and clean out any specks of debris.To even out the tops of the grooves,mist a small amount of very thin black(at 20 psi or lower) to cover everything evenly.Some paint will get into the deep part of the grooves but again,this is okay.When you put the light to it,the openings look fairly bright without being overwhelming.

I first tried this on my rebooted Battle Star Galactica Viper Mark 2 for it's exhausts in a similar same way.I like this technique a lot because in the off state they appear to be completely off and not like a transparent flash light lens or lamp shade .If you want the light to be colored ,you can use a clear looking LED that lights in a particular color.The key to having it light up enough is to use a quality LED with a 45 degree viewing angle or more at 6,000-10,000 lumens. Also it needs to be at the right distance to" fill up" the area desired.

One more thing,Photo etch is hit or miss on this kind of lighting.If you need very fine detail,such as a grill pattern,ect..it's okay.But for this,you'll need to diffuse the light source with something(which will be that pesky light shade showing through  :() or without the light difuser it will appear to twinkle :o.

At any rate,try it some time and you may like the results.And it'll be cheaper to do also! Cheers!

Adam

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 10:40:20 pm »
A small update this evening.Hours ago,the engine exhausts were sprayed with a flat clear coat lacquer to seal the paint.This was mostly for protecting the grooved portion before masking.Later this should keep the masking tape from pulling the paint up.The command sphere was joined with liquid cement,section by section.After the glue set sufficiently,1/64" sheet styrene was cut in 3/8" strips and glued with plastic cement along the inside of the seam for reinforcement.For further light blocking,electrical tape was hot glued to the unpainted seam.

To finish up the evening,the engine exhausts were tested with the two LEDs in place.The exhausts illuminated quite well and should do fine with all of the system's lighting connected.The following photos in this post displays the lighting in various lighting conditions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:05:49 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 09:03:05 pm »
At this stage of painting we are making good progress.All of the small parts were coated with the final layer of flat white and satin clear.The spine,propulsion segment,engine bells with exhausts,and sphere are the remaining parts.It was decided to put the clear coat on the joining segments(the intermediate end rings and segments) first.There are tripod like braces that shows detail on the joining ends and the same for the face of the joining segments.It was found it would be difficult to paint these after cementing them together.

Next,the cargo pods were clear coated.The pods need little in the way of additional painting detail.They could be finished after gluing them to the spine.

The spine was touched up after filling some small seams.The plain white dose just as good of a job revealing flaws.During detail painting,it'll be easy to seek out trouble areas.

The last parts to finish the white coats were the engine parts.The bells have a deep grooved detail that was showing light leaks.Flat black was brushed into the grooves and sprayed over with the white.Only one seam per bell needed to be repainted with white.The engine exhausts were masked and coated with white also.Looking at the attached photo,it came out fairly clean,even before touch up.

Finally,the sphere was sprayed with at least three light coats of Tamiya light gray primer.There were very few trouble areas needing touch up as well.

So far,I'm pleased with the hue of the base coat.I was looking for an off white with a cooler color temperature. As expected,the paint darkens a shade or so after putting down the clear coat.Also,its slightly dissolves the paint and accentuates the rich detail of the parts.Because of the fine detailing,many layers of thinner than normal paint seams to work well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:32:57 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 01:45:17 pm »
Real bummer that Moebius did not include parts for a detailed pod bay....

I love the detail on the main thrusters....  Those turned out really nice Adam.

During the movie (it's been a while), was not the interior lighting in the command bridge a blue tint?
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 03:04:29 pm »
It is too bad that there are no interior parts for this kit,even a limited one for the bridge would be cool.But as small as it is, I like the empty light box just the same! ;)

You pose a good question about the color temperature of the bridge lighting.It really depends on what angle of the exterior shot you look at.From the front,the reflected interior light seams like a warm incandescent appearance. As for the cool hues,it looks like a couple of the walls are reflecting cooler colors from something else,maybe from the control panels.From what I see the bridge lighting isn't very bright either.

Thank you for the comment on the engine exhausts! I was determined to use the original kit part in full.This has worked so well the last couple of times,I couldn't resist!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 07:07:25 pm »
This is looking awesome.  Glad someone pointed out to me that 2001 is probably the source of Star Wars greeblies.  The Discovery really has a lot of surface detail and 'bumpiness', and you're showing it well.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:33 pm »
This is looking awesome.  Glad someone pointed out to me that 2001 is probably the source of Star Wars greeblies.  The Discovery really has a lot of surface detail and 'bumpiness', and you're showing it well.

Thank you Scott! Yes I heard that too that the props on 2001 inspired the guys at ILM and their efforts.He!he! I hadn't considered the bumpiness as an attribute of the Discovery!  ;D

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
Today,we finished up some small assembly and completed more painting.The main antennae was fully assembled and finished.Prior to bringing all of the parts together,the separate dishes,spikes and frame were painted and clear coated.There was a bit of trouble putting it together prepainted.The contact areas for the dishes are very small so,liquid cement is a good choice. However,if any excess cement is inside the hollow frame it can leak out and mar the finish.It did so on this one which made for some necessary repair,although not disastrous.

Our smallest parts,the spikes,are quite fragile.One of the cross bars for the large spikes broke in half while removing it from the runner.This was easily repaired.The final part of the assembly was a simple affair of cementing the antennae to the magnetic base.

Next,the spine halves and antennae base were sprayed with the last coats of satin clear. At this point,we can start placing the cargo pods on the spine when ready to do so.

Finally ,we applied the first layers of white base coat to the sphere.Several very thin layers were sprayed to have good coverage, yet not hide the fine detail.There was an error in my mixture of solvent to paint for working with the especially dry air.We proceeded anyway and later wet sanded away the rough spots.At a later time, we'll come back and spray some more white to get the desired look.

The sphere is the last part to have a lot of white paint applied.This is important in that it must match the other parts in tone and color.So far,our choice in undercoat and layering is resulting in a pleasing, cool off -white.

Taking a step back,I wanted to review a past project we are using as a reference for the Aztec blocks on this one.The space plane's subtlety tinted panels seam like they'll still be appropriate for this ship.We may shade them with a bit more black to stay in keeping with the Discovery's base coat .

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:51:12 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2018, 10:23:42 pm »
Today was a big day for assembly and paint.The sphere had the last coats of white painted on.A better mixture of paint to solvent worked out great for the dry weather.It was now time to start some assembly.

We prepared a pine building board to add the first batch of cargo pods to the bottom of the spine.To start,we took a strip of 1'' masking tape and put it down on the board.Next,we drew a pencil line down the middle of the tape and then put two more pencil lines on either side at 5/16''.The width of the pods are 5/8" so,they would line up in between the outer pencil lines.

It was now a matter of gluing the bottom pods to either end (the spine's first longer half)and then filling in the rest.Keeping the pods lined up with the spine was quick and easy .We proceeded to glue the remaining pods to the second half of the spine.Gluing the pods in this manner helped the spine to to stay straight and level while curing.Once all of the parts were in place,the spine halves were taped down.

After the glue was cured,we then threaded the wire through the steel tube for the sphere's lighting.When the wire was in place ,we joined the spine halves.Anchoring down the spine the same as last time,we used medium CA glue to join the halves.

The remaining pods were then glued on the upper half of the spine.We worked our way from back to front,using red tube Testor's palstic cement.The helpful guide from the instruction sheet kept the assembly smooth and accurate.

The end ring of the back of the spine was glued on.We fitted the propulsion segment to the spine and blocked it up level.Using a bubble level for alignment,the end ring was glued to the spine with medium CA.The sphere's end ring was fully assembled and then tested on the forward end of the spine.We changed the plan to glue this part on next.It will be easier to paint on more detail and then install it later.

For now,much was accomplished on this kit.This will be a good time to pause and plan the next moves.A few things were learned about managing material resources for the parts.The vast amount of parts need a good amount of glue and paint.Our first estimates on buying materials was almost not enough.Fortunately,more was ordered in small amounts.Now,there'll be enough to finish comfortably.Also, the surface area of the numerous small parts can use more paint and clear coat than one would expect.

Lighting of the engines will likely be next.Towards the end of the project,small detail painting of the Aztec panels will follow.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:17:45 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 06:34:59 pm »
Since yesterday,small tasks were completed to conclude basic base color painting.We installed the six 3mm LED lights into the engines.The long leads were threaded to make certain that the LEDs were going in at the same level.Because of the tight space in the engine bell neck,the lights can go in so far.Next,a piece of scrap balsa wood was wedged in-between the lights to snug them into opposing corners of the bell.It was important that the lenses were properly focused to fill the exhausts with light when switched on.Once tested satisfactorily with the exhausts in place,they were taken out and the LEDs glued in permanently with medium CA.

After the glue cured,the exhaust plates were glued in with Testor's cement. It was expected that the joint would not be very tight,so some light leaks were found.Meanwhile,the end ring for the sphere needed to be modified.The contact point between the flatter ring and the smaller bulb shaped part were not very strong.This was re-glued and reinforced with extra plastic spru pieces.Three holes were drilled through the joints and the sprus were pushed through with Testor's cement.After drying overnight,the joint is much stronger.Later,when the entire forward section is completed,the steel tube will be glued into the ring.This will further strengthen that area.

Following some light blocking on the engine exhausts,the black paint was painted over with white.It seemed that after several applications with a small brush that the light leaks are well hidden.Very minor touch up was needed to clean up the engines.All that remains now is to clear coat them like everything else.The lit engine exhausts now appear bright and highly contrasted.

The next tasks will be exiting in that the Aztec paneling will start to give the ship it's characteristic look.I think that enough information has been compiled to start this slowly.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:09:02 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:18 am »
This is looking Great, Adam!

I didn't realize that today, 3 April 1968, is the 50th Anniversary of this Epic SciFi/Thriller! Well played, Sir! :)

As always, your meticulous cleanliness is inspiring and shaming. I should be more fastidious in my building!

Keep going! It's the small steps and attention to detail that make for another of your awesome ships!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 10:43:33 am »
This is looking Great, Adam!

I didn't realize that today, 3 April 1968, is the 50th Anniversary of this Epic SciFi/Thriller! Well played, Sir! :)

As always, your meticulous cleanliness is inspiring and shaming. I should be more fastidious in my building!

Keep going! It's the small steps and attention to detail that make for another of your awesome ships!

Steve

Thanks Steve! You are very kind. :) I had no idea about the anniversary of the film,so a happy coincidence!  ;) All I can say is that I'm slow at building.But! It's a style deliberately chosen. 8) Stick around,some more fun stuff is ahead... :)

Enterprise © Bloc