Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modeler's Power Supply Question  (Read 339 times)

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Lieutenant
Modeler's Power Supply Question
« on: February 24, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »
I want to get a power supply for my bench, kinda like I see in Boyd's videos.  My challenge is when completing a model, that I hook up an adequate plug-in dedicated power supply that will not blow the lamps out.  Here are my questions:

1.  Does a variable bench power supply enable me to determine the correct final amperage and wattage needed to power the lighting scheme in my model?

2.  Can you recommend a power supply to me?

Thanks!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Modeler's Power Supply Question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:55:46 pm »
Some variable power supplies have a built-in ammeter which tells you the current that the power supply is generating.  If you don't have one built into the power supply, you can put an ammeter in series with the model (power supply + hooked to ammeter +, ammeter - hooked to model +, model - hooked to power supply -).  Once you have the current, multiply it by the voltage to get the power output.

If you get a variable power supply capable of operating in current limited mode, you have the option to set the power supply so that it will output only the voltage needed to generate the set amperage. 

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:24:27 am »
Thanks Starsiegeplayer!  Is there one that has a built in ammeter that you can recommend I purchase?

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:33:42 pm »
I use a 9V power supply and find I can connect numerous models to it as the current demands are minimal.  With just one power supply and some multiplugs, every kit on the shelf is powered as needed.  Since the power supply is rated to 1A, and each kit draws only 20-50 mA, I probably have many to go before reaching a limit.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:36:49 pm »
Please consider watching this guy's videos, to eh maybe build up some respect for handling electricty.
This guy is a professional apparently, so don't (never) try this out at home kids. Just, don't. As I understand it, if an electrical current, even a small one, goes across your heart, you will die, and if your entire body turns into a giant resistor with high voltages, afaik you will be electrocuted.

His videos are educational and humorous, and some are asking, how is he still alive? One never knows for sure if he is actually making mistakes, or just pretending. He has pointed out that he is working off a script so he probably knows very well what he is doing. One of his videos (re. Jacob's ladder) was deemed too dangerous for educational purpose by one other engineer.

One thing one notices, is that one must not be reckless in handling equipment, either moving your hands around, or touching things, or making experiments with a power supply that literally fall on top of you.

ElectroBoom's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/msadaghd/videos

His latest video is a nice one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOMs7mYm_zs

A suggested rule, is that one must never move components around on a live circuit, which means that one should only turn on the power after having made all the wiring in every instance.

And I guess I can now finally post the 1million subscribers celebration video (never try this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3vGaOLWqE

I found an interview with this guy just now, all Canadians: http://www.electroboom.com/?m=201511
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:24:33 am by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc