Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: which is better, painting before building or painting after building  (Read 306 times)

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
Hello All,

I have been trying to get back into modeling.     Not done it for awhile.  and remember I always use to paint the model after I finished it.   However  I have noticed where some modelers paint before assembly.  it might be a routine question: But which is better to do paint before assembly  or after?

Kirk

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
Re: which is better, painting before building or painting after building
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:26:37 pm »
Painting is always better after all or some assembly. After gluing parts together you have seams to fix and putty work to do which is a lot harder if everything has been prepainted before. I usually build into sub-assemblies that require a specific colour that's different to the overall colour.

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:36:14 pm »
Depend on the model.
Matt

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:21:36 pm »
Well I would think that you are better off painting the interior well before you glue the pieces together.

Better learn how to use masking tape, and maybe invest in some masking tape for curves to make it a little more easier sometimes. Small patches of masking tape works nicely if you are careful, as opposed to trying to cut one perfect piece of masking tape for whatever surface you want protected with masking tape.

An obvious issue with working with painted models, is that you risk damaging and dirtying up the paintwork if you haven't yet sealed it in with a gloss coat, and after some time, fingerprints, scratches, chipping, dust and other things will eventually make your painted surfaces on your non-finished model look bad.

Also, a lot of the work with plastic models involves adding putty and/or sanding the plastic. And so, if relying on just gluing painted pieces together, you are skipping the often much needed sanding work, to round things off properly.

I sometimes fantasize about just gluing a kit together without painting it, but I like to think that I am a perfectionist, so I don't. :) I do make mistakes from time to time, but I like to think that I learn from it, eventually.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:26:32 pm by Decoman »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:21:35 am »
Both... As AussieTrekkie said some things need to be painted first because you can't get to them after assembly.  Also there will always be touch up painting needed after assembly so you'll be painting afterwards anyway.

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:45:34 am »
All of the above are right. I painted models with a lot of windows before assembly, so I didnt had to mask the windows. But theres always some touch up to do. So , it depends on the model.

Enterprise © Bloc