Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build  (Read 4775 times)

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 05:59:12 pm »
Very nice detail work....  Everything looks great!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - Small Victories!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 02:43:05 pm »
I’m interrupting the normal timeline to post something that just happened this weekend. After this, I will go back to posting in chronological order of the build, but I wanted to share this with you all. This was a weekend of small victories!

First, I was able to put in the clear part windows in after all. After looking at my saucer a little bit closer, I realized that the only thing preventing me from putting in the windows on the saucer was a little bit of plastic that I could very carefully cut out with a hobby knife and some tweezers.

Victory number two was in regard to my arboretum ceiling. As I mentioned before I painted the ceiling and then realized that there wasn’t going to be enough light getting through to properly light it. This also brought up something I inherently didn’t like about the part - which is all the pipes and duct work in the ceiling. I really didn’t want to keep those things clear, but painting it kept out any light.

My first attempt at a fix was to drill out some holes in the ceiling to allow for more light. But then I thought, “My God, man! Drilling holes in his head’s not the answer!” So, I took some measurements and designed my own ceiling with large areas for lights incorporated into the design. I printed the part out on my 3D printer, painted it and attached a bit of clear plastic (cut out from the lid of a cupcake container from the dollar store) on top. I have an extra set of decals and so I was able to put the clouds on the sides. A little bit of sanding was needed to get it to fit just right but now I have an arboretum with a custom ceiling that allows in just the right amount of light.

More later...
Neil
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:47:22 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 03:09:08 pm »
Nice save on the ceiling. I like that much more than the kit part.

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 08:04:10 pm »
Nice save on the ceiling. I like that much more than the kit part.

Thanks Crow!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - Lighting the saucer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 07:57:06 am »
Lighting the saucer went very smoothly. I’m holding off on wiring up the bridge strobe and floodlights until I resolve my bridge issue. And I haven’t added the impulse engine or impulse crystal yet. I had to do a little more light blocking on the saucer walls. But everything else is looking great! The BEMS kit has these terminals for the saucer and the nacelles into which I put all my wires. They connect via a JST(?) connector to reduce the number of wires going through the model down to the board. Sweet!

Once I figured out the positioning of the LEDs on the planetary sensor flood lights, the lower saucer went just as smoothly. Again, a little bit more light blocking was needed as you can see from the photos.

More later…
Neil
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:03:47 am by neilfsmith »

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - Impulse crystal and neck lighting
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:48 am »
Although I am learning a lot about being patient during this build, I still get into trouble. In the latest case, I was too quick to spray the frosted glass coat onto the impulse crystal and it cracked. No biggie. I’ve stripped off bad paint jobs so many times on this model. However, in stopping off the frosted glass coat I also stripped off the fine detail painting on the outer side. So I had to repaint the outside; and the problem came when I realized that I had used all of the paint masks from my handy dandy Orbital Drydocks clear parts paint masks set. But I realized that the leftover spaces in between the already used masks for the impulse crystal were almost the same size as the masks themselves. So I just trimmed them to be a little bit thinner and they fit perfectly. That little trick saved me a ton of time in making my own masks from scratch.

Lighting the neck was pretty easy. I’m not sure if I’ll take the wires up into the saucer terminal or down to the board, joining them with the wires from the secondary hull. I gave myself a bit of extra wire length to be sure I could reach either direction. I drilled out openings for the torpedo LEDs using the clear part as a guide. I think I read somewhere where someone cut down the torpedo clear part so that it would just slide into the opening on the neck after final assembly and painting. Not sure if that’s the way to go with me or not.

More later…
Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - Lighting the Nacelles
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 11:33:58 am »
Once again, I’m loving the Orbital Drydock masks. I have no idea how I would have been able to paint the chiller grills and keep my sanity without them. Although it looks very much black in the photo, it has much more of a purple tone in real life.

Despite the tight fit of all the lights and wires in the nacelles, they both came together without much trouble. I found out during dry fitting everything in there that I needed to remove one of the post holes to make room for the chiller grill light strip. Once installed and test-connected to the Big Easy Modelling Solutions (BEMS) board, I used a strip of translucent vellum to diffuse the light.

More later…
Neil
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:35:51 am by neilfsmith »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 07:22:01 am »
It's looking very good, Neil! Keep it up!

Did you design and build the electronics or is it a kit? If so, from whom did you buy it?

Nice, clean work!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 11:23:41 am »
It's looking very good, Neil! Keep it up!

Did you design and build the electronics or is it a kit? If so, from whom did you buy it?

Steve,
The kit is from Big Easy Modelling Solutions. It is the Commander kit, but I am upgrading soon to the Captain kit, which has additional FX like phasers, warp and impulse engine effects and sound effects. What i really like about it is that it has a dimmer switch to control the brightness of the interior lights and the deflector colors are really a spot-on match to the film. Plus it costs only about half as much as other kits out there.

https://www.bigeasymodelingsolutions.com/trek-refit

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - All caught up to real life
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:49:00 am »
I had read that the secondary hull walls were a bit of pain to glue on to the bottom part. So, I thought it would make for an easier and better fit if I first glued the bottom of the secondary hull to the back most part (part #28) of the deflector dish housing. Then, glueing the walls in would be a better fit because it would get everything lined up correctly. It worked perfectly, but the problem arose when I tried to install the shuttle bay I couldn’t get it to fit in from the front. I have heard some people being able to put it in from the top, but once the walls were in place, it was not going to go. So I cut down the supports in the front as well as about a half inch of the support stand mount. Everything slid into place and then I glued the plastic I had cut out back in. So a little bit of crisis, but nothing I couldn’t fix.

Also, I decided against gluing down any shuttles to the floor because I want to be able to remove them so I can see more clearly into the cargo bay once everything is done. I did however glue down a few of the Workbees.

Another issue arose when my cat stole one of the tractor beam emitter parts from my worktable. I assumed it was my cat - unless the part itself somehow became self aware and took off on its own. A long and thorough search proved fruitless.

I sent out a request to Round2 for a replacement part and while I waited for that to arrive I had an idea. I was never all that thrilled with that part being clear in the first place. It was such a pain to paint and leave clean crisp windows for the blue light. I must have painted it at least three times. But eventually I did get it looking “okay.” But I was also kind of bothered by the fact that - at least from my observation - the tractor emitters have four small lines of blue light and the model kit part only has three. So, back to the 3D printer I went. I eyeballed the curve based on measurements and photos and re-created the part. The tiny little details were much too small to get a clean print from my 3D printer, so I cut up a bunch of little squares and rectangles from some strips of plastic and glued them on. After sanding and painting, I really like the look of it.

Lastly - and this catches me up to where I am in real life - I closed up and sealed the nacelles together. The BEMS light kit’s tethers were great for this - now I only have a few wires to feed down the pylons!  This being the first sub-section that I would have closed up and glued together, I was pretty anxious about it. But a friend of mine told me, “if it works before you close it up, it’ll work after you close it up.” And he was right. All is well.

More later…
Neil

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 06:43:44 am »
Lovely!

Slowly but surely building up to starting mine at the end of the year and getting bits 'n' bobs as I go. Totally glued to your build as it has been very informative and helpful. With those printed parts (tractor emitters/ arboretum roof) will you be making them available to buy at some point.  Looking at the Tena MVE board for mine but that one are using looks the business as well.

Keep going with this crackin' build.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:45:24 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 01:37:05 pm »
So much work and so much detail to deal with on these kits.... it's no wonder how 10 ppl end up going in 10 different directions....   :b

You're doing some really nice work!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 02:22:27 pm »
Lovely!

Slowly but surely building up to starting mine at the end of the year and getting bits 'n' bobs as I go. Totally glued to your build as it has been very informative and helpful. With those printed parts (tractor emitters/ arboretum roof) will you be making them available to buy at some point.  Looking at the Tena MVE board for mine but that one are using looks the business as well.

Keep going with this crackin' build.

Thanks for the comments TK Iain and ImWolf! TK Iain, I can put the 3D files on thingiverse or something like that if you'd like to experiment with them. No need to buy anything - I'll just post them so people can use them or not. I've also printed a few other bits as well: a mount for the impulse engine LEDs and a light-blocking mount for the impulse crystal light. Give a me a couple of days and I'll let you know when and where they'll be available.

Neil

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 06:18:34 am »
Your nacelles are looking great, but... I'm having flashbacks... ugh! I didn't enjoy working on them at all. Man, it was tedious work.

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - 3D printed parts
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 09:04:45 am »
I uploaded all of the 3D printed parts I designed to thingiverse for anyone who is interested: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2846023

More later...
Neil

Enterprise © Bloc