Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build  (Read 4347 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 08:03:04 am »
It's looking great, Neil!

Keep at it!

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - Sealing up the saucer
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 11:59:29 am »
I have quite a bit of progress on the Enterprise Refit to report: The BEMS upgrade lighting and effects kit came in and so I decided that I wanted to get the base all wired up to make it easier for me to test out things. I haven't glued anything down yet just in case I need to make a change.

I wanted to use rocker switches on the base to control all the lights and effects - mostly because I think they look cooler than push buttons. So each switch shares a ground and one effect is wired to the top and another effect is wired to the bottom. Works great! I still need to put in a 3.5mm audio jack for speakers, but that hasn't come in yet.

I finally got the bridge installed and lit. My fix on the strobe housing turned out fine so I have no need to replace it. Quite a bit of light leak on the forward edge of the bridge, but I can deal with that from the outside. This was the moment where the whole thing starts looking like the Enterprise. When the bridge is attached, it's more than just a collection of parts - it begins to take shape.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do lasers or LEDs for the phasers... and up until I actually installed them I still wasnt sure. But I'm glad I decided on the lasers. It adds a different kind of light to the model - and they look really great. I need to get a photo of them with some smoke or fog or dust or whatever so you can see the beams. Pretty cool.

With everything installed inside the saucer, it was time to make some sense out of the rat's nest of wires. I had tried very hard to keep things organized and neat inside the saucer. But there are just so many different lights that it was difficult. Fortunately, the BEMS lighting kit comes with these connectors that attach to tethers that reduce the number of wires needed to run through the model. This was a great lifesaver for me and my messy nest of wires. I also mounted the impulse crystal using a 3D printed part that holds the LED in place and also blocks most of the light.

After making all the connections, I plugged everything into the boards for testing. Everything ran beautifully! The BEMS kit has a main board for most of the lights, an second board to handle the phasers, torpedoes and warp effects, and a third board to handle all the sound effects.

I also took a bunch of video of the lights and effects. I will eventually put it on YouTube and post links here.

Here's a shot of the tethers coming out of saucer. Very clean and simple. The purple wires are for the phasers - which do have their own terminal - but I broke the terminal for the interior lights and decide to use the phasers terminal for them and run the phasers out of the saucer on their own. It's just two extra wires; no big deal.

Lastly, I sealed up the saucer and glued it together. This was not nearly as stressful as sealing up the nacelles - probably because the nacelles were the first things I glued together. Now I'm an old pro I guess.

More later...
Neil

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »
sealing components of the 1:350 kits always makes me cringe in fear.  Good job with the build so far.  She's looking fantastic!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - $%#@ fantail!
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:44 pm »
Final wiring on the secondary hull was completed last night and then the pylons and neck were glued in place.

The fantail proved to be quite a struggle. I don't know if this was a result of the order in which I glued things together or not, but it really didn't want to stay up against the edges of the hull walls. The angle of the fantail was a few degrees off once the roof of the secondary hull was glued into place. Some CA glue to "tack" it in place was needed followed by a generous portion of model cement. I'm going to let everything sit for a day or so to cure.

All the wiring from the nacelles, secondary hull and neck need to be spliced here into a much smaller number of wires that will join the wires from the saucer tether in connecting to the board in the base.

More later...
Neil

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »
Looking awesome!  Where did you get the laser LEDs?

Cheers,

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 12:13:20 pm »
Looking awesome!  Where did you get the laser LEDs?

Cheers,

The lasers were a part of the BEMS lighting kit.
https://www.bigeasymodelingsolutions.com/trek

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:59 pm »
So I had two major issues this past weekend. Both are fixable; and in fact I have already fixed one of them. At the time, however, I was in a pretty panic.

Magnatomic Amplification Crystal. This was my first problem. I had originally wired these two blue 3mm LEDs (at the top front of the nacelles) to the same circuit as the warp chiller grills. That way, when my effects board switches on the warp drive, these two would light up along with the warp engines. This was based on no real knowledge or research or anything like that… I just figured that, “hey, these probably only come on when the warp drive is on.” That pretty much describes my thought process - or lack thereof - during this build. But this decision was eating at me in the back of my mind and I made a mental note to check it out before glueing up the nacelles. I then promptly forgot about it and glued up the nacelles. This was a few weeks ago.

So, this weekend, I decided to try to re-wire the LEDs to a different circuit. With tweezers in hand, I carefully pulled at the wires going from the LEDs to the terminals. They were pretty easy to find because of the color coding in the BEMS lighting kit. Anyway, I successfully cut the negative wire and spliced it into the circuit for the spotlights. Perfect! All good! Nope. Since I had originally wired these things to light up at the same time as the warp chillers, I didn’t bother to light block the lower part of the LEDs. I mean, who can blame me. A big blue light is a big blue light. Am I right?

Well, now that they were going to be in an “always on” state, I needed to light block them. They were bleeding out of the chiller grills and making everything look terrible. Sooooooo…

I carefully pulled up on the clear part from the outside (thank God that I didn’t glue THOSE in), to give me access to the actual LED, which was glued to the bottom of the clear part. I knew I had to be very careful. I wasn’t sure how hard to pull. The solder points were covered in heat shrink so they just barely fit through the hole at the top of the nacelle. So a few minutes later I had the first one out. I wrapped the LED with electrical tape and a little dab of Tulip and shoved it back into place. Success!

I moved on to the LED on the other nacelle. I carefully pulled up on the clear part… and… “Snap.” I broke the LED.

After a moment or two (or three) of panic I realized that all wasn’t lost. I ran to my local MicroCenter and picked up some blue 3mm LEDs. I carefully pulled what I could out of the nacelle and what I couldn’t reach I sort of shoved out of the way of the hole. I carefully ripped the original LED off of the clear part and re-drilled a hole for the new LED. I soldered and wired up the new LED, glued it to the bottom of the clear part and popped it int the hole at the top of the nacelle. It took a little while to grab the wires from the opening where the pylon connects, but I managed to do it. Then I re-wired my re-wire and all the lights were where they were supposed to be. Problem solved! Yay.

So, now I feeling invincible. I’m a genius! I can fix anything! I know, while I’m on this high, why don’t I put everything on the base and wire it all up and do a lighting test? Yeah, that sounds good. Lets do that!! Oh, look that one wire isn’t quite long enough. That’s okay. We’ll just splice it and everything will be fine! Do we want to cover that splice with anything. Naaaahhh! This is just a test. We don’t need to. Remember, I’m invincible! Okay, let’s turn on the power! Okay! Wait - what’s that bare, spliced wire doing sitting on top of the effects board? Oh, never mind… Power on! Wait. What’s that burning smell?

I blew the effects board.

I’m an ass.

After a good healthy cry, I contacted Paul at Big Easy Modeling Solutions (BEMS), and explained my situation. According to Paul, “this sort of thing happens all the time - nothing to worry about. Even the pro modelers sometimes short out boards. In fact, we designed the board to be easily replaced in case of such an emergency. So I’ll send you a replacement board on Monday. And it’ll only be 5 bucks”

In the words of Neo, “Woah.”
In the words of Subway, “5 dollars.”
In the words of Staples, “that was easy.”

I can’t say enough good things about my dealings with BEMS; and Paul in particular. On my next lighted build, I’ll definitely by going with them again. If I live that long.

More later…
Neil

PS - I also got the deflector lit.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:38:28 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:38 am »
Neil, I just blew a circuit board myself!

1. I am relieved to read I am not the only one who does that!

2. I also wanted to say "You. Are not. Alone!" (Brownie points if you catch the reference!)

I have to send mine back to the builder, too. Seems alot of vendors have good customer service!

Keep going, Dude, it's looking great!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 05:50:05 pm »
Neil, I just blew a circuit board myself!

1. I am relieved to read I am not the only one who does that!

2. I also wanted to say "You. Are not. Alone!" (Brownie points if you catch the reference!)

I have to send mine back to the builder, too. Seems alot of vendors have good customer service!

Keep going, Dude, it's looking great!

Steve

Man of Steel?

And thanks for the comments!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
Exactly! 10,000 pts!  8)

;D

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Update - A milestone!
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 04:21:23 pm »
This weekend marked the end of major construction on my Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise Refit model! I was going back and forth over doing the bridge modification and, to be honest, the only thing holding me back was my low opinion of my own skill level. But I was given a little push by a friend, and now that it’s done - with the help of a resin replacement bridge from Big Easy Modeling Solutions - it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. Plus the look of the spotlight is really much better than without.

Once the bridge was glued securely in place I did a final lighting test with everything plugged into the board. Everything still works and blinks when it should and lights up when it should and makes all sorts of happy noises. Man, this thing is big when (almost) all put together! And yes I know the nacelles are upside down. They're just sitting there and not actually connected to the pylons.

Next up is a good cleaning of the workspace and prepping for painting. Need to start seriously checking the weather for nice days with low humidity!

More later…
Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 02:15:15 pm »
As promised, here are a few lighting test videos:

Lighting Test 01

Lighting Test 02

Lighting Test 03

Lighting Test 04

More later...
Neil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 07:41:56 am »
Looking good, Neil!

Keep at it!

BTW - I noticed your "cheaters" laying next to the ship. Glad to see I am not the only one who has to use them! ;)

Steve

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 09:06:02 am »
Very nice!  And thanks for sharing your 3D part files!  I'm going to order the tractor beam emitters from shapeways in 'frosted extreme detail'.  I'll let you know how they turn out.

-Rich

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 11:34:00 am »
Don't know how I missed this build!

Very nice!

Enterprise © Bloc