Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build  (Read 2979 times)

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
Re: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2018, 12:01:58 pm »
Here's a couple of shots of the upper saucer after painting and after one coat of clear (which was still a little wet at the time of the photograph). The clear appears to soften the effect of the pearl paint, but when I put the final matte or satin coat on, it'll come back and be a little more pronounced. At least that's what happened in my earlier paint tests; so I'm assuming the same thing will happen here. But, overall, this is exactly the degree of subtle I was hoping for!

Also, started masking the lower saucer last night. Still having some sticking issues with the masks but so far it's not been as uncooperative as the upper saucer was.

More later...
Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2018, 03:30:34 pm »
I finished the aztec painting on the saucer a few days ago. I’m loving how this has turned out! Here are some more process shots:

From this point on, my plan is to fully complete each of the major sub-assemblies one at a time - saucer, secondary hull (incl. neck and pylons) and finally the nacelles. I will fully prime, paint, aztec, detail and decal each sub-assembly before moving on to another one.

So, while waiting for the aztecs to dry, I began creating my custom paint colors. Using Tamiya acrylics and some Model Master acrylics, I mixed and tested and mixed and tested until I have just the right colors to my eyes. Hand-painting small swatches, I used the extra secondary hull piece as my testing surface.  After all the testing, I ended up with several recycled bottles full of custom colors that will be used throughout the whole model build.

After a few uneasy attempts, I got my airbrushing mojo back and was able to get the details of the saucer painted in a few days. Which reminds me - I gotta stop taking these extreme close-up photos! You can see all my mistakes and errors and crappiness!

Anyway, a light clear coat was applied and I’m letting everything dry for several days before beginning to apply the decals.

More later…
Neil
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:32:46 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2018, 03:39:48 pm »
This is looking wonderful, Neil!

I am really impressed with your masking and paint job! BTW, whose masks did you use; an aftermarket brand or did you cut your own?!

Either way, outstanding!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2018, 09:55:50 am »

I am really impressed with your masking and paint job! BTW, whose masks did you use; an aftermarket brand or did you cut your own?!

Either way, outstanding!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Steve, I am using Orbital Drydocks paint masks. VERY worth the money. Don't know how I'd do this without them.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2018, 11:48:40 pm »
Looking good!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:53 am »

Either way, outstanding!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Steve, I am using Orbital Drydocks paint masks. VERY worth the money. Don't know how I'd do this without them.

Thanks Neil! I bought ODD painting masks for my TOS 350 E. All the feedback I have read on their usefulness is always positive!

Thanks for the reply! Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
Looking awesome!  The painting stage is such a great stage!

Offline MrBrightside

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2018, 03:31:26 pm »
I really like the aztecing! What paint/colors did you use for the two color approach?
Seriously considering this for mine.

Keep up the great work!

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:51 am »
Hm. I am unable to view the images on Flickr. It worked the other day. Not sure what is wrong. It says "page not found". Perhaps a temporary issue with the Flickr website.

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2018, 09:55:30 am »
I really like the aztecing! What paint/colors did you use for the two color approach?
Seriously considering this for mine.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments everyone. MrBrightside, I am using a Rustoleum flat white base coat in a rattle can. For the aztecs, I've used Tamiya pearl white. also from a rattle can. But what I think is important is that even though I am only doing a two color paint job, I actually used the masks for the five color paint job. This gives a much better look to the aztecs.

Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:58 pm »
Little bit of an update today: I was out of town the week before last for work and so didn’t get a lot done… but I was as productive as I could be. I have completed all the painting on the saucer. I have started applying all the decals, starting with the lower saucer.

I tried the best I could to retain the sensor band detail on the saucer walls. There were just enough places where I lost them due to putty and sanding that I decided I would need to do some sort of treatment in order to make them not look so bad. I decided to get a set of JT Graphics’ sensor band decals from CultTVmanShop.com. I’m sure you are al familiar with this site - but on the odd chance you are not, it is worth a visit. Steve has a great, great site over there.

Anyway, I got the decals this past weekend and began to apply the decals. I have worked with custom decals before, and knew they would be fragile, but these were way too fragile and WAAAYYY out of my league. It was like they were made out of the breath of angels and I tore these things up just by looking at them. I tried and tried, but my skill level just wasn’t up to par for these decals. I used up all but one of the decals just trying to apply them to the model without tearing - which I never actually did successfully. So, I emailed Steve at CultTVman and explained what I did and thought maybe I got a bad set of decals and he said probably not. They are just this tricky to work with I guess. Then he offered to refund my money - which I asked for but really didn’t expect! I was really impressed with his service and willingness to give me a refund for what was basically my lack of ability to use these decals!

So, yeah, Steve’s an awesome guy, but that really didn’t change anything regarding my sensor bands issues. They still looked bad and I needed to do SOMETHING. I really liked the idea of the JT Graphics decals but what I needed was a different approach.

What I ended up doing was going to Staples and getting some clear inkjet shipping labels. I scanned my last remaining sensor band decal and printed out a bunch of them onto the adhesive film.

Link:
https://www.staples.com/Avery-18665-Clear-Inkjet-Full-Sheet-Shipping-Labels-8-1-2-X-11-10-Box/product_663672

I did a quick test on my extra secondary hull part and realized that I needed to cut out each of the three sets of bands individually in order to be able to wrap properly around the saucer walls. These things looked great but they are not very stretchy at all.

So after a few hours of carefully cutting out the decals as close to the edge of the lines as I possibly could, I had some really really great looking sensor bands. The clear film is pretty thin so you barely notice that it’s a sticker and not an actual decal. Plus, it’s a bit cloudy and not completely clear - which was a bonus for me, because it covered up my ugly sensor band sections.

All in all, I think it was a pretty darn cool solution; and I think they look great!

More later…
Neil
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:58:11 am by neilfsmith »

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2018, 01:04:53 pm »
I’m calling the saucer sub-assembly completed. This guy will now be set aside for the next several weeks or months or so as I complete the secondary hull and the nacelles. I used some 1/64th inch graphic tape for the pin striping detail on the bridge. It’s funny, I remember being a kid in 1981 struggling with the pin stripe decals on the Wrath of Khan AMT kit; and my dad bringing me some red graphic tape from his work (he was an industrial designer). Way better than the decals in my opinion.

So now it’s time to move onto the secondary hull. I’ve masked everything I needed to and gave her a coat of primer.

Then begins the process of checking for light leaks and bad puttying work. Sanding re-puttying and re-priming, etc. You all know the drill.

The first set of decals for the secondary hull were applied to the deflector housing. I’m toying with the CrowTRobot’s idea of using magnets to secure the deflector housing to the hull. Actually, I’m not sure if it was his idea or not - but his build is where I first learned of it. Either way, that’s a decision that I really don’t have to make just yet.

More later…
Neil

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!

Enterprise © Bloc