Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build  (Read 4776 times)

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Re: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2018, 07:19:50 pm »
scottminium, thanks for the comments!
Crow, thanks for the tip. I will be sure to do so if and when I put the magnets in.

Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2018, 08:38:59 pm »
I have completed the aztecs on the secondary hull, neck and pylons. Everything went great! The teeny tiny rib line masks on the upper and lower parts of the secondary hull were a bit of a struggle to apply, but they turned out fantastic. I was glad that I didn’t have the problem I had with the masks not sticking to the surface like I did on the saucer. Turns out that I just needed to sand everything a bit more smooth with 2000 grit paper and the masks went on beautifully.

Once everything was dry, I removed all the window masks and did a lighting test. Everything is looking pretty great. I do need to do a little bit of touch ups here and there. I got a little bit of overspray on the shuttle bay floor, but I think I can take care of that pretty easily. I also need to touch up the torpedo launchers and the tractor emitters. And then it’s on to the rest of the paint for this subassembly.

More later...
Neil
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:40:36 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2018, 02:06:09 pm »
That lighting test looks just about right to my eyes Neil.....  not glaring or over done like a xmas tree.

You're going to have a great looking ship there!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2018, 03:20:09 pm »
That lighting test looks just about right to my eyes Neil.....  not glaring or over done like a xmas tree.

You're going to have a great looking ship there!

Thanks, ImWolf! I'm super impressed with the light kit from Big Easy Modeling Solutions for just that reason!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2018, 03:20:24 pm »
Here are some shots from yesterday's painting the secondary hull, neck and pylons sub-assembly. Painting went great - most time was spent on masking. But since I’ve been masking tightly around where I’m painting, and then just wrapping the rest of the model with plastic bags or plastic wrap. I don’t know where I learned about this trick, but it sure is a time saver!

When it came to the painting the black trim on the edge of the shuttle bay deck and touching up the deck itself - I got overspray on it from the white base coat - I was very, very nervous! I mean, I know that if I screw it up I can fix it. It’s just paint, right? But that didn’t take away any of my anxieties while spraying. But it turned out just fine. Nice clean lines. No overspray at all. Needs a tiny little bit of hand-painted touch up, but it looks great.

Next up… decals!!

More later…
Neil

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2018, 10:49:12 pm »
Awesome!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2018, 07:18:32 pm »

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2018, 07:18:50 pm »
The decals on the secondary hull, neck and pylons sub-assembly have now ll been applied. This will now sit for a day or two before it gets its protective clear coat. Man, some of these decals are beyond tiny!! (Don’t call me Tiny) I’m glad that I still have a good, steady hand in my old age!
Next up is prepping the nacelles for paint. This is the last sub-assembly to be painted. I think I just might be seeing a little bit of light at the end of this tunnel!

Are you freaking kidding me!?

More later…
Neil
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:21:13 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2018, 02:18:54 am »
From experience I know that if you add some varnish to a gloss coat, the dampening of the shine will both make a model much look less than a toy, and equally important, the bumps will become much harder to see. Word of warning though. In my experience, adding lots of gloss coat layers with few hours inbetween, led to the paint/coats having a cracking pattern in places (this on my large submarine model in 1:350 scale).

With a satin coat as opposed to a matte coat, the end result will look more like a subtly shiny metal/plastic surface.

Important: Adding a varnish, too strongly, might turn the surface white'ish. I've only experienced acrylic based paints, and iirc I diluted the varnish I used to be safe. It would also be important when adding a varnish, that you add the varnish evenly to get the surface to ideally look the same all over.

If one is careful, one should be able to very gently knock down the unevenness after a gloss coat, by sanding the gloss coat with very fine sand paper. This would work on paint as well, but if the sanding goes through the paint or if the paint chips, then it has to be fixed.

Important: If sanding the model, in any way, regardless of what you are doing. Alwyas remember to use a brush, for brushing away the fine dust that lies on the model. One issue would be that the dust might fill in panel lines, and then, if adding another layer of gloss coat, the dust gets trapped and keep clogging up panel lines, which is not something you will want to try fix.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:39:36 am by Decoman »

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2018, 08:00:33 am »
From experience I know that if you add some varnish to a gloss coat, the dampening of the shine will both make a model much look less than a toy, and equally important, the bumps will become much harder to see.

Thanks for the suggestions Decoman. I'm right with you on all that about shiny clear coats. I did a matte clear coat on the saucer already and she looks great. The only thing I plan on leaving glossy is the dish... and I might even dull that a bit too. Not sure yet, have to wait and see once she's all together.

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2018, 07:50:16 pm »
Wow! I can’t believe I’m finally at the end of this kit! Or rather NEARING the end. Let’s not get over confident. This past week and weekend, I finished the aztec painting and the detail painting on the nacelles. All that’s left is all the decals - which I should get to in the next few days. And then after that, it’s just final wiring and final assembly!

In hind site, I probably should have pre-painted some of the parts of the nacelles to cut down on the RIDICULOUS masking I had to do, but all went pretty well. When painting the bussard collectors, I had made my copper color a bit too thin and it ran underneath the masking tape. I was able to fix it though… you know, it’s just paint.

The outboard flux chiller grills are said to be a sort of aluminum color. I had a rattle can of this metallic black paint that I think looks really great. It’s black under certain lights but then becomes a metallic dark grey in different lights.

More later…
Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2018, 12:30:32 pm »
I finished applying all the decals on the nacelles and gave them a bit of protective dullcoat. Then it was time to move on to cleaning up the secondary hull wiring in order to prepare for the final assembly.

The rat's nest of wiring was all cleaned up and organized and fed through the mounting hole...

The deflector dish was then mounted onto the secondary hull. She's staring to look all buttoned up now, isn't she? I ended up not using the magnets. On my model, the fit was really, really tight. I really had to shove that thing onto the secondary hull to get it to seat properly. I probably didn't even need to use any glue!

All of the wiring coming through the mounting hole will be consolidated (same color wires spliced into single wires) and will eventually be connected to the control boards already mounted in the base.

Tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to start on final assembly - starting with attaching the saucer. Wish me luck!

More later...
Neil
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:35:15 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:49 pm »
This is really starting to look nice! :)

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:43 am »
This is really starting to look nice! :)

Thanks!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2018, 11:43:03 am »
So close, I can feel it!! But I ran into yet another problem caused by my impatience and/or inability to think ahead. While connecting the JST connectors coming out from the saucer to the ones in the neck, I had forgotten that I was running the two phaser wires directly from the lasers in the saucer all the way down to the control board. The problem was that I had JUST glued in the deflector dish. I had no way of getting the two phaser wires through the neck and through the secondary hull and out through the mounting hole. Ugh. I’m an idiot.

Using my pin vise, I drilled a small hole on the top of the secondary hull through the neck opening. I made the hole where I thought it would be opposite, or directly over, the mounting hole at the bottom of the secondary hull. Then I straightened a paper clip and fed it through the hole at the top and very carefully pushed it in until it came out of the hole in the bottom.

I then super glued the end of the phaser wires to the end of the paper clip and slowly fed that through until the wire emerged from the bottom hole.

Crisis averted, I was then able to attach the saucer.

More later…
Neil

Enterprise © Bloc