Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build  (Read 2027 times)

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
Re: Neil's 1/350 Enterprise Refit build
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 08:17:52 pm »
Steve, Rich and Spencer,

Thanks for the nice comments. Rich, post some photos when you get the parts back from Shapeways. I'd love to see them. I've also made some Deflector RCS thruster parts to replace the clear ones. I'll try to get them added to thingiverse in the next couple of days.

Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
Update - tonight I'm gonna putty like it's 1999!
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 01:35:25 pm »
Over the course of this project I have gotten so much better at puttying and sanding. The seams in the secondary hull were pretty typical from what I’ve read/seen and were not much of a problem to handle. The saucer edges needed to be filled here and there. Not much light leak from the saucer side seams so I’m considering myself lucky there; but I’ve still a bit of putty work that needs to be done over the next few days.

The only real tough part was the panel lines between the secondary hull walls and the fantail. Ive got it all smoothed out but need to describe a bit of the panel lines. I think I should probably wait until after I put the primer coat on it to better see where I need to scribe and where I don’t.

I can’t paint something this big in the house, so I need to wait for a day that it isn’t so humid. Figures that the hot and humid weather would hit just when I was ready to start painting. Ah well, it can’t last forever. I’m going to do some more paint tests on the extra secondary hull bottom part so that I know exactly how I will proceed once the weather is a bit more agreeable.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 08:16:11 am »
Looking good, Neil!

Keep plugging away!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2018, 11:54:47 am »
I can't say enough about Orbital Drydock's paint masks. These things are great! I don't know how I would ever get this thing painted without them. And there's something really relaxing about masking all those little windows. Very tedious, but also very relaxing. I found myself getting into a zone and losing all sense of time and all my troubles of the day seemed to just vanish while masking the saucer.

The humidity dropped just enough a few nights ago to allow me to prime the saucer. I think for the forseable future, painting at night will be my only option. Ah well, it keeps me off the streets, I guess.

Once primed, I could see all the defects and seams in my construction. There really wasn't much with the exception of around the bridge. My advice to new builders of this kit would be to putty your model and let it dry. Then mask a very small area, and then sand it smooth. Then remove the masks, mask another small area and sand away. It's time consuming to be sure but there's no other way to preserve the little details in the model.

After puttying and sanding, I hit it with another light coat of primer to check my work. I still have one area along the side of the bridge to smooth out better, but other than that, I think the saucer is ready for a base coat.

More later...
Neil

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:25:58 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2018, 04:15:53 am »
Looking good Neil.

Taking a lot of inspiration watching this for when I eventually start mine later on in the year.
Iain

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 07:22:12 am »
I received my Shapeways order and I am impressed with the tractor beam emitter parts!  Here is a picture of the stock parts compared to Neil's 3D printed part.

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 06:21:20 pm »
I received my Shapeways order and I am impressed with the tractor beam emitter parts!  Here is a picture of the stock parts compared to Neil's 3D printed part.

Hey those look great!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 04:17:03 am »
I received my Shapeways order and I am impressed with the tractor beam emitter parts! 

Those are great - can you say what they are listed as because I have hunted for them on Shapeways.
Iain

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 07:14:44 am »
Those are great - can you say what they are listed as because I have hunted for them on Shapeways.

They aren't listed, I uploaded the file that Neil provided and ordered it that way.

-Rich

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2018, 10:47:11 am »

They aren't listed, I uploaded the file that Neil provided and ordered it that way.

-Rich

I just added the thrusters for the deflector housing to replace the kit supplied clear parts.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2846023

Neil

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 11:17:02 am »
Sorry no updates in a while… I’ve been waiting for the weather to be cooperative as far as humidity goes so I can start my painting. I got tired of waiting so I asked my boss if I could use the studio at work (I work in animation and video production). He agreed and so far, I have the saucer primed and painted with a flat white. No pictures on this yet, but I’ll be taking a lot and will get them uploaded for all to see soon.

Painting the aztecs is the thing that had me intimidated the most when deciding to do this project. I went back and forth over using the decals or not - but in the end I thought if I was going to spend this kind of money on this kit, then I should do the painting. I have nothing at all against builders who choose to do the decals, but for me, if the model didn’t have that pearly shine, then it just wasn’t the Enterprise I remember from 1979.

I’ve also decided to do a two-color aztecs rather than the five-color. I’ve overcome so many of my skill limitations and impatience throughout this build, so it’s not a question of “can I do this” anymore. To me, it’s a question of personal preference. I’m really wanting a very subtle and almost completely white paint job on my Enterprise.

I’ve also been working on the deflector housing. I’ve had the dish all frosted with the Krylon Frosted Glass for a while now and so it was time to start on the little white spokes. I used 1/64” graphic tape i found on the internets, and it went really well. I cut an oversized length of tape and aligned it to the lower end (inner-most end) of the raised spokes. Then carefully pressed it down, going over the top edge. Then I trimmed the top edges to make them all even with each other. One thing I would mention is that if you are going to use this technique, make sure you have a very sharp CURVED hobby knife blade. This minimizes the chance of scratching or cutting up the inside of the dish in places that you don’t want.

More later…
Neil
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:31:11 am by neilfsmith »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 07:24:50 am »
Wow, Neil!

Those spokes look great! Well done!

Did you use any type of light blocking on the deflector side of the spoke? Or is the additional build of the spoke going to be enough to create a difference?

I am learning so much with this build!  Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:20 pm »
Wow, Neil!

Those spokes look great! Well done!

Did you use any type of light blocking on the deflector side of the spoke? Or is the additional build of the spoke going to be enough to create a difference?

I am learning so much with this build!  Keep going!

Steve
The light is diffused enough from the back so that there's no need to light block the graphic tape - which is opaque in it's own right.
Neil

Enterprise © Bloc