Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: acrylic paint problems  (Read 413 times)

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
acrylic paint problems
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:27 am »
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get acrylic paint NOT to peel up when you mask?  I use painters tape as my mask.  yet when I go to peel the mask. the acrylic paint tends to peel up with it......Ah how I miss the days of enamel.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                                       Kirk

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: acrylic paint problems
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:48:43 pm »
Are you using a primer underneath, or just putting it on the bare plastic?

Also, I run my painters tape over my cutting mat a few times to take the tackiness down some more and only press down firmly at the actual edge.
I also try not to leave it on for too long (< 12 hours if i can). Be sure the inner label also says it can stay down for a few days. I got burned when
a generic blue tape actually said to pull it up immediately.

A clear coat between colors can also help sometimes, but is obviously more steps.

Spencer

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:21:59 pm »
Heres some things you should be doing when masking

1: wash styrene parts in warm soapy water when you get the kit.  This helps get rid if any release agent left on the mold which can cause paint to not stick.

2: use a primer. This is one of the main reasons to prime the parts first. And is probably the biggest thing u can do to fix this issue

3: when putting the acrylic/paint down on the parts, do so in multiple thin layers rather than thick layer(s)

4: make sure you use High quality masking tape (low tack).  3M tape is agood brand or tamiya masking tape.  Also see previous post on using masking tape

5: make sure you allow the paint to cure. Depending on a lot of things, overnight might be a good amount of time.

6: you can use adhesion promoter to help paint stick too, tho I do not think that is typically necessary

You dhould be ok if you follow some/all of the list above

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:26:16 pm by simi »
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:41:33 pm »
I think Simi nailed the process, with a good primer coat probably most important to prevent masking tape lift off.  The best primers to use are Tamiya Surface Primer, Vallejo Surface Primer (available in a good assortment of colors) and Stynylrez (by Badger).  I usually use two primer coats, and sometimes more if I've got surface defects I'm trying to correct.  Others may use Duplicolor Primer or Rustoleum, but the modeler's primers have finer pigments and, if you're using a rattle can, like Tamiya's for example, the paint aerates nicely.

Let us know how it goes the next time and good luck!

Online starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:06:40 am »
Primer  is the most important thing.    I use rattle can primer like duplicolor and krylon.  Boyd really likes the inexpensive generic Wal-mart brand primer. 

You can also use masking tape with lower tack. 

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 06:59:05 am »
My suggestion is to reduce the adhesive on the masking tape, and ofc, not be using any masking tape that isn't fit for purpose. Might as well go with Tamiya's masking tape, and then, reduce the adhesiveness by placing the patches of tape on your hand, before placing it on the model.

Offline J.T. Kirk

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 12:55:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply , I appreciate it.  will have to give them a try

Enterprise © Bloc