Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PL 1/350 Enterprise refit paint guide  (Read 328 times)

Offline Chuck3126

• Ensign
PL 1/350 Enterprise refit paint guide
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:00 pm »
Looking at purchasing the Trek Modeler 1/350 paint guide for the Polar Lights Enterprise. Any better guides or comments. Tried to find something from Boyd but had no luck. I dunno, maybe my Googlefu skills are weak. Any suggestions or pro's and con's?

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: PL 1/350 Enterprise refit paint guide
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:23:46 am »
I don't think there is any better guide around, though I am no expert. I have started on the refit Enterprise in 1:350 scale myself.

One optional thing, is to either go with the blue, or the green pattern on the engineering section on each side, just below the center pylon that holds the saucer. Something about how they switched from green hues to blue hues during the making of The Motion Picture.

I am intrigued by the overall look of the white finish, as I am not quite sure how the ship is supposed to look like, imagining a more pearly white, and not some gray with bits of metallic sheen. Unsure. I am currently thinking that I would rather have a more white'ish ship, with the pearlescent/irridiscent effect ofc. Probably important to keep the surface as glossy as possible, to retain a nice sheen, making it also easier to add a gloss coat in the end, with fewer layers imo. I am also wondering if one could maybe add some kind of polish compound, to create a sheen, though just an idea. In any case, it would be a good idea to test such ideas on other parts, and not on the model itself.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:27:42 am by Decoman »

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: PL 1/350 Enterprise refit paint guide
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:57:07 am »
I don't think there is any better guide around, though I am no expert. I have started on the refit Enterprise in 1:350 scale myself.

One optional thing, is to either go with the blue, or the green pattern on the engineering section on each side, just below the center pylon that holds the saucer. Something about how they switched from green hues to blue hues during the making of The Motion Picture.

I am intrigued by the overall look of the white finish, as I am not quite sure how the ship is supposed to look like, imagining a more pearly white, and not some gray with bits of metallic sheen. Unsure. I am currently thinking that I would rather have a more white'ish ship, with the pearlescent/irridiscent effect ofc. Probably important to keep the surface as glossy as possible, to retain a nice sheen, making it also easier to add a gloss coat in the end, with fewer layers imo. I am also wondering if one could maybe add some kind of polish compound, to create a sheen, though just an idea. In any case, it would be a good idea to test such ideas on other parts, and not on the model itself.
This goes back YEARS when I was working on a 537 Refit with lights and sound.  It was back in 1994 I think...

Anyway, back then there wasn't nearly as many sources and reference pictures as we have today.  One of the references I used was Mr. Scotts Guide to the Enterprise, or a book named something like that.  If I recall, in the book (now keep in mind this book acted like all this was real and not a movie) the hull of the Enterprise was described as being an unpainted highly polished titanium alloy type metal that appeared whitish under bright lights.  Back then my thoughts were hmm...  aluminum plate!  I sprayed it with aluminum paint and buffed the hell out of it and it sure did look bright and metal like!  I didn't really like the look though.

Then years later (last year) I started working on a 537 Reliant and I was doing some test painting with pearl white.  What kind of surprised me was the brand I used ended up looking very similar to the buffed and polished aluminum plate!    The aluminum was darker but man was it close.  I'll see if I can find those pieces and take some pictures of them next to each other and under different lighting.  What I started thinking was kind of crazy (and I think it still is) but I was thinking about doing a base coat in the metalizers- base of aluminum plate and an aztec pattern with stainless steel and then doing a light mist coat of pearl white over all that.  I know that's nowhere near the paint schemes people do but I am still curious as to how it would look.

One thing I have found is that there are two ways to make these kits-  Movie accurate as what was seen on the screen, and studio prop accurate.  Often the two do not always look the same.   I think the method I was describing would tend to have more of a Discovery screen look- darker looking hull, but under brighter lights it would appear more white.  I am not saying to do it this way, just saying studio reference images are great for showing the color schemes and detail painting, but do not always look like the screen image.  It all depends on what look you are going for I guess.  I do plan on getting the Refit paint guide though, I looked it over awhile back and it seems like it is well worth the money.

Enterprise © Bloc