Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1000 NX-01... Aztec Decals or Masks?  (Read 451 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
1/1000 NX-01... Aztec Decals or Masks?
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:00:29 pm »
This is to anyone that has built the Polar Lights NX-01/NX-01 Refit (I have two kits so will be building both).

Which should I go with, the paint masks or decals?  Who has used either and what is your opinions/experience?

Also is lighting something this small a crazy idea?

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: 1/1000 NX-01... Aztec Decals or Masks?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
I plan on dusting off my dual NX-01/Refit build thread in the near future as a side project.

I can't say anything about the aztecs, other than I plan to use the paint masks from
Aztek Dummy

It can be lit, but probably not down to every detail. Crazy ... maybe, but I'm going to try it.

An example(s):
http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=2004.msg29434#msg29434
http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=2004.msg29997#msg29997

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:30:20 pm »
I just checked your thread out Spencer, if you dust your thread off mind if I also post my build and lighting in it?  Might as well have one thread and share thoughts and ideas than two threads on the same topic.

I just got done watching Chad "Horrble Modeler's" video build the other day and he did some interesting things.  I wasn't planning on lighting it originally, but then saw a light kit for the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise and though, well why not.  DonS has a 1/1000 1701-D, now if there was only a 1/1000 1701-C and E available we could have all the ships in the same scale, well one that's bigger than the 1/2500 collection.  That collection is just too small for my tastes and doesn't have the NX-01 Refit. I don't have the 2500 set, but from what I've seen online the TOS and Refit don't look to be much bigger than MicroMachines.  I have 1701-C/D/and E in 1400... I guess I could get the StarCraft 1400 ships...

Anyway I'm rambling.  I snagged these two 1/1000 NX-01 kits a week or so ago when I finally found a decent 'local' hobby shop.  I couldn't pass them up at $25 each!  He also had two 350 NX-01 kits there for $68 each so I grabbed those two.   Turns out all those kits were sitting in his store since 2013!

Spencer I see you have the Aztec decals from J Decals, how do they look in your opinion?  I plan on getting some paint masks and the decals but was leaning toward the Acreation decals.  Thing is I can't find a place that has both and I'd rather not pay two shipping fees from different businesses.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:43:17 pm by whb64 »

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 11:38:25 pm »
Sure, you can post your build on that thread. Might give me a reason to dust off the kits (literally!) and get back to that while I work on my BOP.

2013! That's when I started building them, LOL!

The J Decals are actually pretty sharp, but they're not cut (it's all film) and the film itself looks rather thin.
It's a couple shades of grays and some black outlines, so it looks like it's meant to go over your colors and give different shades.
Mine are about 6 years old (2012), but would probably still need Decal Bonder or such coated on them. Plus, they're only for
the original NX-01 and not the refit.

Would, you believe there's a youtube video specifically about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeQugLz8oWo

Haven't watched it all the way through though ...

But, after seeing Lou's (Aztek Dummy's) videos on the NX-01/Refit with his "new" vinyl, I decided to use those instead and use the decals as a backup
if that doesn't work. The one I have now is the older, stickier vinyl and has shrunk some for some reason. I'll be ordering the revised
ones shortly.

Also, Jerry over at HDAModelworx has some really small 0805 LED strips that I've thought about using for lighting.
Would definitely make those pesky nacelles easier to do.

Spencer

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 07:58:29 am »
I followed Chad's lead and am using Tamiya light gun metal for the darker shade and Testors Stainless Steel Metalizer for the lighter main shade.  I never used the Tamiya light gun metal before and I like it a lot!

I'll probably just get two sets of Lou's masks for now.  I need the practice doing them anyway.  I was watching his video on doing the masks for the WeeLiant and I couldn't stop laughing when he got to the decals, specifically those long thin red strips... he kept saying 'I HATE decals... I REALLY HATE these ones!"  It was funny.  I like his videos.

For now I am just going to use the bases that came with the kits.  Later I plan on getting the Art Asylum NX-01 bridge pieces and use them as a custom base.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:49:45 am »
I actually started with Duplicolor Pewter Metallic on the NX-01, and will probably use something a bit lighter
in Duplicolor for the second color. Going for the "bit of brown" look. Just need to see what my local Advance has available.

You should see Lou's video on the Excelsior. Another interesting rant on decals too.

Enterprise © Bloc