Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shadow Bussards and running lights for 18" TOS E  (Read 3008 times)

Offline RossW

• Captain
Re: Shadow Bussards and running lights for 18" TOS E
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 11:21:59 am »

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 10:57:04 am »
Here is the wiring for my Shadow Bussards and pylon windows.  I wanted all three windows in the pylon lit, but LED's or fiber optics for each was going to be over-complicated.  I created a light tunnel in pylon with bare metal foil and regular tin foil wrapped around a coffee stir straw. The straw not only serves as a wall for the light tunnel it also provides a conduit for my wiring.  I placed a SMD LED at the top of the tunnel for all three windows.  I decided to use pieces of plastic tree to function as stops for the Neopixel coils rather than earthquake putty to facilitate replacement if ever necessary.  I also re-enforced the upper nacelle half with 1/16 sq brass bar to prevent nacelle droop.

Offline MurphyPeoples

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 05:09:28 pm »
Enjoyed the video. I'm starting to just now get my feet wet with Arduino. My goal is to have an Uno operate 3 servos doing separate functions, and 3 sets of lights doing independent off and on. Fingers crossed.
Murphy

Offline Markeno

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 09:30:14 pm »
This looks great, thanks for posting so much helpful information with it.  I will certainly keep this in mind for when I work on that model which I have sitting on the top of my shelf here.  While I am looking forward to doing it, I have no less than 3 models ahead, and I am very slow at doing them. :)

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 11:01:49 am »
Here is the final in-model wiring for my TOS Enterprise. I am using magnet wire to limit light obstruction (Trekworks tip). In the secondary hull I used a drinking straw wrapped in foil as a conduit for wiring to keep it away from light source and windows. The connections are soldered and the red globs are liquid electrical tape to insulate and provide strain relief. Coming out of the model are four magnet wires to power a total of 58 LEDs (38 LEDs for Shadow bussards, 3 Nav, the rest window). I have run this 5VDC system for several hours with no problems.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 05:27:33 pm »
Here is a YouTube video of the Shadow Bussards in the finished model.  Also included is a brief description of the basic components used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbNkfDAjDuQ

Below is a Fritzing of my final wiring.

Hope you enjoy this.

Enterprise © Bloc