Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any Millennium Falcon Experts out there?  (Read 195 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Any Millennium Falcon Experts out there?
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:23 am »
Okay...

I have a Bandai PG Falcon on layaway that I should be getting at the end of the month.  Even after I pick it up I won't be starting it for awhile.  Before I tackle something that nice (and expensive) I want to do a little practicing on the weathering and streaking specific to the Falcon.  I want to practice on something similar in size.  I was looking at the Revell SnapTite Max kits because they are relatively inexpensive and sufficiently detailed.  I found though that they are not 1/72 scale as ScaleMates has them listed, but rather are 14.7" long which makes them 1/93 scale.  That's not a deal breaker, but I saw a video review of one of the kits and the person measured it and said it was indeed 17".  I can't find that video now and don't what what part number it was... or if it was even accurate.  Does anyone know if there are any versions that are 17" in length?

I could go the MPC/AMT route, and thought about getting a cutaway kit, but I missed the auction by 1 minute! 
So if there are any Falcon kit experts out there I'd really appreciate if anyone can verify if there is actually a 17" SnapTite Max or Easy Kit out there or are they all 14.7" ?

Offline madmonk

• Captain
Re: Any Millennium Falcon Experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
Revell have it listed at 14.7" in length on their website, I've got one at home for exactly the same reason so will have a look when I get back.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:08:22 pm »
I did build one of the old AMT/Ertl/MPC Cutaway Falcons.  It was a fun kit to build/detail, but it's a terrible model.  If you can find one of those cheap, they're a good one to practice on as well.  Look up Fichtenfoo on youtube for information on weathering the Falcon.  I've seen a lot of people overdo the weathering thinking that it should be really dirty, but in reality it throws the scale off to have too much.

The kit is around 18" long when fully done up.  The Fine Molds is slightly smaller.  Not sure about the Bandai, though I've heard it's larger than the Fine Molds. 

Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline madmonk

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34:06 pm »
Right, home and with tape measure!!

The larger Revell easy kit of the Falcon is 14.7" long and 11" wide making it approx 1:90 scale.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:38:47 am »
I can't imagine that there are any decent Millennium Falcon kits other than the Fine Molds and Bandai ones in 1:72 and 1:144 scale.

I would at least start writing down on paper what kind of weathering you think would be appropriate.

I know personally, that adding a gloss coat is important, but also, something that has been tricky. Easy for just sealing some paint work, but hard for creating a nicely smooth surface. Ofc, I have learned that once you add a matte varnish, the uneven surface on a bad gloss coat, suddenly looks ok, because the bumps and unevenness no longer stand out as much like when having a pure gloss coat.

One sensible thing to do, with the 'perfect grade' falcon kit, is to consider start adding weathering in the least exposed parts if being unsure as to how to best progress with this type of work. This way, any flaws with the application of weathering might remain mostly hidden more away somewhere, instead of being all out in the open, on the top side of the model.

Hm, I have been uneasy thinking of weathering of any model, as I just can't quite make up my mind about how to make those really grimy models, so I stick to more limited stuff:

1) General dirt/darkening in all crevices (adding a wash), which makes the model look more realistic and less like a toy, while ALSO making the detailing pop.
2) Different shades to the sheen: matte vs semi-gloss vs high gloss
3) Simple effects: snow, dust, mud
4) Proper coloring, to avoid making all your models looking the same, because you re-use your paints on most projects. Afaik, the falcon IS supposed to have a WARM gray, not a neutral gray, and not a cool gray(!).

I have zero experience with snow, dust and mud, and I would be happy with a much less weathered up model in general.

Note that if you have no experience at all (!) with weathering of a model, and particularly no experience with working with gloss coats (!), then great care ought to be taken to gain the minimal level of proficiency, to avoid making your expensive perfect grade model an experimental piece.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:53:22 am by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc