Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser  (Read 548 times)

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:21 am »
Hi all,

I thought I'd try something different for a quick build, and to also improve some of my modelling skills. Being a kid of the 80's and 90's, my love for Star Trek comes more from the films, and then TNG/DS9/VOY (sorry TOS fans! My love for that came later). Therefore, I preferred the look of the K't'inga class battle cruiser, and the Bird of Prey from the Motion Picture / ST:III and ST:IV - the battle worn, green and rust coloured ships of the 2270-2290s just looked so mean! 

Therefore I decided to try and add some detail to the D7 model I had in my stash, mainly so that I could weather it more (the original has very little detail for my usual oil washes to work with!). I've not gone for screen accuracy, just let my imagination flow a bit :)

Hopefully it isn't too much of an abomination for you guys! :) For those eagle eyed modellers, please feel free to guess where some of the additional details came from (there are 2 different sources)!

IMG 0274" border="0

IMG 0275" border="0

IMG 0276" border="0

IMG 0278" border="0

IMG 0281" border="0

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
Re: Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:17 am »
 I am digging on it looks good so far, I like the extra plating you added on the hull.
 one question what did you use to make the little dots you added on the neck?

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:28:27 pm »
Thanks Rocky! They are just tiny little strips of styrene, cut with a hobby knife, and then glued on with extra thin tamiya cement. There doesn't look like there are many, but it does take ages to cut and then place them!  :-\

Here are some more shots of the painting and decals:

IMG 0282" border="0

IMG 0287" border="0

IMG 0301" border="0

IMG 0304" border="0

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »
I'm lovin the added texture, Pete!

Keep going!

Steve

BTW, I am sorry to hear that you have fallen from the purer faith (TOS) and have gone for the watered down version. I forgive you...THIS time!  ;D
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:47:10 pm »
My friend was building this, but the decals turned to crap on him. He got frustrated and contacted Round2 about obtaining replacements. They later answered his request for the clear parts that somehow did not come with his Klingon Vorcha, but didn't respond to his prior decal request.

Enterprise © Bloc