Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there any way to tweak a dual action airbrush?  (Read 352 times)

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Is there any way to tweak a dual action airbrush?
« on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:06 am »
Knowing that using higher air pressure when airbrushing, more paint will be used compared to spraying with lower air pressure.. I sometimes feel that I do not get the correct fidelity on the paint flow on my Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush and I wonder if there is a way to tweak the dual action knob, such that when pulling the knob backwards, less paint is flowing than before.

Any ideas?

Hm, I guess the gravity fed airbrush, have the paint just fall down and if the dual action knob is just linear, then I guess the back pull of the knob, can't be adjusted, unless only adjusting the spring. Ideally, I would have wanted to see less paint coming out, even when pulling the knob all the way back.

In other news: I learned heard that Tamiya's black airbrush (the one I saw in a video on youtube) is supposedly made by Iwata, aaand, that the paint limiter (rear part) can be screwed off and re-screwed onto the Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush. :) I will try get to buy such a spare part to start using that paint limiter function.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Is there any way to tweak a dual action airbrush?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:03:29 pm »
Although I am still kind of a n00b with the airbrush, I've been reading and experimenting to try and improve.  Pressure is probably the toughest one out there.  First off, I also have Iwata Eclipse.  While I don't know of any way to tweak the AB in the way you have in mind, but it probably isn't necessary either.

If you want to paint up close, you'll need to dial down the pressure, which also means you might have to thin out the paint a bit.  Thus far in my limited experience those paints sold as airbrush ready don't need thinning down to a reasonably low pressure (10-15psi).

Using higher pressure will be for further away and larger areas, and thus it will eat more paint.  I don't have a good recommendation except practice when it comes to trigger pulling.  I'm still working on that myself.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
Re: Is there any way to tweak a dual action airbrush?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:06:47 pm »
If you want to paint up close, you'll need to dial down the pressure, which also means you might have to thin out the paint a bit.  Thus far in my limited experience those paints sold as airbrush ready don't need thinning down to a reasonably low pressure (10-15psi).

Decanting spray paint is also a viable alternative to trying to thin it out for airbrush use. More often than not, once it's finished degassing you can pour it right into your paint cup or bottle and spray it as is.

Enterprise © Bloc