Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/72 Bandai Y-Wing  (Read 1455 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
1/72 Bandai Y-Wing
« on: March 29, 2018, 07:48:49 pm »
In the turmoil of the shift to civilian life after 30 years in the Navy, gotta keep building to keep my sanity!

For some crazy reason I have decided to light the engines and cockpit of the "Wishbone".  While the engines have sorted themselves out I am quite at a loss as to how to take on the bridge.  Small spaces, no sealing means FO, but there is really very little room to work.  More to follow, and if you have ideas about the cockpit, I'm all ears!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Re: 1/72 Bandai Y-Wing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:02:32 pm »
If you're going for the cockpit to be lit, I'd suggest the Green Strawberry photoetch set.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 05:36:38 pm »
@Greg, that's a really cool mod...but how was it lighted?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:49:15 pm »
Wiring up the engines requires a carefully thought out plan.  After doing a whole mock up, the engines were drilled out to allow light, the engine mounts were drilled allow wires, and the main part of the engine was 'snipped' as needed to allow for the wires to pass through.  On the starboard side I did a little better and simply drilled out the engine part so the wire assemblies could be passed through.  Once the part with the LED was secured, some gorilla glue was used to lock everything in place.  Next will be the main engine assembly around the wires, modified as needed to avoid crushing the wires.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 07:50:57 pm »
In the last pic, the little blue spot/hole is where a hole was drilled through the aft portion of the wing strut to allow for the wires to pass.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 07:09:41 pm »
Next up, modification and assembly of the main engines and wing struts.  After locking in the LEDs with gorilla glue, the engine and strut internals were modified to allow room for the wires.
First, the struts (wings) were cemented together and a hole drilled through the trailing edge (the round part). 
Next, the four parts of the engines were 'snipped to make room for the LED leads and wires. 
Then the parts were assembled up to the point of the last quadrant, the wires run through the body, then part of the 'snap together' was removed and the last quad assembled. 
Finally, the wires were run through the struts and cemented in place.
As always, light check before and after every step.  So far so good.

Next up, main body assembly after running wires for the cockpit/weapons.

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:41:07 am »
@Greg, that's a really cool mod...but how was it lighted?
Well, it's a photoetch set. Use it in the cockpit and have light shining from behind it through the holes. Perhaps create a light tunnel to have only an LED or three bounce the light around to light up all the holes. Last year I bought some transluscent clay called Sukeru-kun for that purpose, but I have yet to use it. It's sold here in Japan, and you can buy on on HLJ.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 07:30:22 am »
OMG, Scott! How did I miss this? Apologies!

My first thought is "Wow! That is TINY!"

Second thought "Congrats on the "shift to civilian life"!" It is a mind-set change, a paradigm-shift of culture but I am sure you will successfully make the transition!

Is this a career change (military retirement to civilian job) or is this retirement retirement - fishing and lawnchairs; or in your case Modeling and Mag-lights? If you wanna share - just curious.

Okay, back to the model: Lighting the cockpit - wow! Just a thought. Place either a FO or a single, small, white LED behind the panel and paint clear colors on the panel to change the light effect. Iain did that once on one of his Star Wars builds and it came out awesome. You may consider duping the cockpit in clear and light block it to get the look.

Good luck on this one! Can't wait to see your solution for the base!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 09:06:54 am »
thanks for the ideas gents.  After some research I've decided the light box idea will work, but it's going to be fun using a bunch of SMD LEDs in such a small space.  I've also decided this one is going to be my first jump into the Arduino, so if the resistors are going to be internal to the model, as is my typical practice, I'll have to commit to a voltage plan before assembly.  The engines were already wired up for 9V, so I'm not sure they will work for 5V.  Easy enough, they'll just be directly powered to come on when the power is switched on.

Clearance is pretty tight in the pilot house/gator-cobra head, and with what looks to be 7 LEDs in that area (unless I find a more elegant solution), they will need to be wired together to reduce the number of leads . 

Best of all, the wires have to be run through the fuselage before any assembly can happen there, so the wiring has to be 'final' or over-the-top in order to support the future lighting.  More thinking to do.

@Steve, this is retirement phase 1, where I leave the Navy and still plan to work.  Phase 2 is just hobbies and travel, and that's still some years away.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 08:17:25 pm »
Oh maybe not lightboxes....
First pic shows how the FO is run for the cannons.  The FO was held in place and hit with the heat gun. The lower half shows the holes for the proton torpedo launchers

Second pic is how the torpedo launchers will be lit.  A fat piece of scrap was drilled big enough for both launchers, and smaller on the aft end to allow passage of the SMD LED.

Third pic is the tiny SMD LED.  About the size of a pen ball.

Fourth pic is emplacing the torp launchers.  A piece of sprue was cut with a drill bit for 1) the SMD (aft end) and a .020 FO stub on the forward end.  Once guided through the hole, the FO was bent with a heat gun, then carefully trimmed.  The SMD and FO were cemented in place, then clamped in place and cemented to the hull with gorilla glue.

Next up, using FO to light the cockpit dashboard.

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 11:30:17 pm »
I assume you will put in a blinking red LED to fire the lasers?

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 12:13:19 am »
Dang, Scott, this s looking pretty interesting (and small)!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:11 pm »
Very nice work Scott! Those cannons look huge in the pictures, but I know from my TIE fighter they are tiny and skinny. Drilling those out had to be loads of fun.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 09:29:11 pm »
I highly recommend getting your SMD LEDs via Ebay.  You can get the pre-wired.  Also realize that there are a ton of different sizes, not sure what sizes you might need, but there are a ton of sizes, outside the typical 1206/0805 etc.

Loving the build!  I so want to get a set of these 1/72 models, maybe next year, LOLOLOL.

Cheers,
James

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:18 pm »
@James, that's just what I did, pre-wired on Ebay.  I cannot imagine trying to wire up the LEDs myself.  They'll be attached to longer runs of wire wrapping wire for the trip outside of the hull.

Next up is running the FO for the cockpit lighting.  That's gonna be fun.

Enterprise © Bloc