Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It's Not a TMP Refit 1/350, it's a STII:WOK Refit 1/350!  (Read 3197 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: It's Not a TMP Refit 1/350, it's a STII:WOK Refit 1/350!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 08:18:58 am »
Hey, Guys.

Just a thought, and I have no idea how well this would work, but what about copper guitar pickup tape?  You can get that from extremely thin width to wide.  There is definitely enough on a roll to go completely around the saucer.  The only negative I could see is the surface would have to be completely smooth or any imperfection would show as a bump in the tape.  Just a thought...

Huh. I'm familiar with that since I've built a few electric guitars in my time.  ;D The copper tape would have to be thin for scale, and embossed with the numerous lines of the linear sensor bands.

For those of us not cool enough to play guitars, what are you talking about? Sensor bands I got. What is "copper guitar pickup tape" and how would it be used to make the sensor bands?

Ever Inquisitive Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 09:28:18 pm »
For those of us not cool enough to play guitars, what are you talking about? Sensor bands I got. What is "copper guitar pickup tape" and how would it be used to make the sensor bands?
Ever Inquisitive Steve

Luthiers (electric guitar and bass builders) use this thin adhesive-backed copper foil tape to wrap the coil windings on both single-coil and humbucking (dual coil) pickups, in an attempt to shield them against electrical interference. It's then soldering to the guitar's ground circuit.

It's also used inside pickup covers, to line control cavities, and applied to the back of pickguards.

Builders these days opt for conductive carbon paint though. As mentioned previously, the copper tape would have to be really thin to retain the scale of the refit's sensor bands.

Online scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 08:02:38 pm »
Gadzooks! Really?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 03:50:17 pm »
Okay, now I feel stupid.

I'm still not seeing sensor bands on that guitar.... :-[

Are we talking about light blocking or sumpthin on the model or molding the sensor bands?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:52:20 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 07:31:46 pm »
I think the idea is to use it to recreate sensor bands, since it's basically a thin, adhesive backed metal foil like Bare Metal Foil is, only made with copper, and likely cheaper. It's mostly on my radar because people have used it on lighted builds of the Enterprise-D so they don't have to hog out and fill trenches for the wiring.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 11:39:16 am »
Are we talking about light blocking or sumpthin on the model or molding the sensor bands?

The latter. :)

Offline FatalCheese

• Ensign
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 07:34:56 pm »
Intriguing ideas.   I've been using 30GA magnet wire, which I noticed just about fits in the sensor bands - not all the way in, but when I used it to make a light impression on some putty, it's about the right width.

I decided to try building a "template".  5 strands of wire, evenly space, then glued to the back of some clear plastic (to keep in place, and to see the placement). I would apply the putty to the gap, and then apply the template. It was kind of effective - far from perfect, but enough to tweak with some very gentle scoring, let it dry, and sand off the excess.

Ultimately, still running into my original issue - at this level of detail, sanding the excess tends to cause pits and flaking up to 2400 grit.  Going any higher on the grit, I end up polishing instead of sanding. I tried the 3M spot putty which works MUCH better, the pits aren't near as severe as Squadron - Thanks @Tankton for the suggestion. It's still tedious, and took multiple attempts per joint. Better than before, but I'm now starting to lose the detail in the bands, so I need to start accepting what I've got - this is one of the better ones.  Hopefully after a couple coats of paint, it will smooth out.
You're in it this far...what's another $20?

Enterprise © Bloc