Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/72 Bandai Y-Wing  (Read 930 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: 1/72 Bandai Y-Wing
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 05:01:23 pm »
@Greg, the plan is to use pushbuttons to allow firing the cannon and torpedoes separately.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 05:38:17 pm »
In case I haven't mentioned, I'm a submariner by trade.  My avatar is from a 'coup counting' exercise a few years back.

In today's saga, the wires from the two engines were soldered together to reduce the total number of wires exiting the hull (from 8 to 6).  These were soldered, sealed with liquid electrical tape, then pushed into place, then the two hull halves cemented together (with four wires still to be connected to the cockpit), then the four pieces added that allowed the engines to be connected. 

Kind of a lot to do before you can move on, but now the rest of the hull assembly and the cockpit can continue.  As always, light check after each step to be sure things are still working.

next up, running the FO to light the cockpit.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 03:41:48 pm »
After putting together the main hull I was able to enjoy a lot of fun work and assembly by adding in most (all but 5) of the pipes that are really the identifier of the 'Wishbone.'  Below is a closeup, along with a comparison shot.

Been working on the cockpit and pilot.  The FO for the 'dashboard' will have be run -after- the bit is installed in the gator head.  This will be a bit tricky but I've go an idea.  Then there will be the close area soldering and slow pulling back of the wires as the gator head is mated with the main hull.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 05:31:31 pm »
Drilling holes and running the FO for the cockpit.  The larger holes are .02mm while the smaller ones are .01mm.  After running the 0.02mm, they were bundled in a straw, clamped in place and heated to bend them as needed.  Next two shots you can see how they will be pushed into place once the rest of the FO is run.  Last shot is of the last of the tiny FO.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 05:40:14 pm »
In this pic you can see everything wired up before final assembly.  All the negative leads were soldered together, while the canopy lights, torpedoes and cannon each had their own lead.  These are the four wires you see leaving the 'gator'.  I tried to gently pull the red and white wires back as I positioned the two halves, but I was only partially successful.

Upon testing the torpedoes don't work. I must have separated the red wire.  :( 

The cockpit lights and cannon are good, but now I have a dilemma.  i was going to use a Nano and enable firing the cannons and torpedoes, but now all I have are the cannons.  I think I'll still try to get those to work so I get some Arduino programming experience.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 07:29:54 am »
By Odin's Beard, those are small fibers!

I'm surprised that I didn't read somewhere that you broke a few bits! Good job!

Quick question about the white gorilla's glue you have been using - have you noticed it NOT bonding to the straw through which you bundle the FO?

I have been having an issue with that and wondered if it was common or if I am doing something wrong.

Keep going, Scott!

Enjoying the build!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:10 pm »
The Force is strong with this one.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 03:35:07 pm »
@StarSiege--it does not always feel so....

@MSgt--Steve, I haven't had trouble with gorilla glue (not their CA, their main line) bonding with anything.  Provided it has a rough surface or something it 'likes' it sticks like the dickens!  Gotta be careful at what you let it get on.  In this case the things inside the 'gator head' just needed to stay in place long enough for assembly, and after that it didn't matter.  In other applications I build a little styrene box and then the gorilla glue is used to fill the voids.  As it expands quite a bit, that locks everything in place.  That is probably why it works on the straws--I put a little gg in the right spot, add the straw, add a little gg, then tape over it to dry.  The gg fills up everything and the straw cannot move.

I've decided to still try my hand at the Arduino on this kit just to get the practice before I try something more daring!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 11:48:10 am »
Cockpit lighting before and after shots.  The tinting for the indicators was done with sharpie on the other end.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 11:50:42 am »
A little bit of weathering to highlight the incredible details built into this kit.  Once the engines are snapped in place I'll hit it with some faint gray shading, add some carbon scoring and then seal it.  Lights will have to wait for the arduino adapter to show up.

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 02:11:43 am »
I've read that painting the pipes separately before attaching them to the fuselage requires extra care because when paint finds its way into the holes and on the locator pegs, it causes the fit to tighten up too much and can lead to problems.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 07:22:19 am »
@Greg, yes, the tolerances for most of the pipe connections are very close (like the rest of the kit!).  If you want to add any after assembly you need to be very selective as sometimes the sequence of assembly may preclude adding them later.  This is true of most of the pipes that seem to go from the fuselage to the cockpit.  I picked five that looked like they could go in later, and painted those the rust color.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 07:40:20 am »
Scott, this is coming along nicely!

I really like the wash you put on it! I am gathering parts and knowledge for a TOS Galactica build and this is something I think I will have to do to get it to look right.

Are gonna paint the R2 Unit a little? If so, what color - red, blue, pink, chartreuse? Either way, its a fabulous build!

May the Fourth be with you!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 07:28:59 pm »
@Steve, I decided against chartreuse, but only because I didn't have any.  :-\  First is a closeup showing the colors for the astromech and the pilot.  Second pic is of the painted base with the modified mounting part.

Next will be final pics with the canopy and scoring damage, then lighting once my last arduino parts arrive!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 08:21:41 am »
I decided against chartreuse, but only because I didn't have any.  :-\ 

Scott, I hate it when you don't have the right colors to match your ensemble! :D

The droid looks good but I am even more impressed with your pilot! That must have taken a while and not a few minutes under some powerful loops!

Carry on and congrats on the retirement!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc