Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Color Guide - TOS Enterprise] 2016 Smithsonian Restoration Findings  (Read 13542 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: [Color Guide - TOS Enterprise] 2016 Smithsonian Restoration Findings
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 08:50:10 pm »
Is it specified whether the outside or the inside of the dome was painted?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 03:18:31 am »
Is it specified whether the outside or the inside of the dome was painted?

Unfortunately, there is no information on whether the nacelle domes were painted on the the outside or inside.

If I ever find out, I'll will update this thread.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 10:36:01 am »
Hi, Everyone!

After much anticipation, Star Trek historian and consultant Gary Kerr has released a detailed article and hobby paint matches for the 2016 Smithsonian restoration project of the Enterprise 11-foot filming miniature!

The article, entitled "A Modeler's Guide To Painting The Starship Enterprise" is in two parts and can be found on CultTVMan's Fantastic Modeling site: http://culttvman.com/main/a-modelers-guide-to-painting-the-starship-enterprise-by-gary-kerr/

With the help of Gary's friend Mike Anderson, Testors Model Master enamel paint matches are below...

==========

Annotated Orthographic Images and Paint Specifications - Version 2.0 - Revised 8/30/2018

Testors Model Master Paint Matches

Note: matches for all but the Pilot nacelle dome and copperish-gold deflector colors were made by Mike Anderson

Production Hull Gray:
  • 65%  #1730  Flat Gull Gray
  • 35%  #2115  Japanese Army Lt Gray

Pilot Hull Gray:
  • 70%  #2077  Lichtgrau RLM 63
  • 20%  #1741  Dk Ghost Gray
  • 10%  #1745  Insignia White

Upper Saucer Color in 2016:
  • 75%  #2115  Japanese Army Lt Gray
  • 25%  #1730  Flat Gull Gray

Light Gray Trim:
  • 40%  #1745  Insignia White
  • 25%  #1732  Lt Gray
  • 20%  #2109  French Light Blue Gray
  • 15%  #1722  Duck Egg Blue

Medium Gray Trim:
  • 75%  #1730  Flat Gull Gray
  • 25%  #1726  Lt Sea Gray

Dark Gray Trim:
  • 70%  #1794  Aggressor Gray
  • 20%  #1788  Euro 1 Gray
  • 10%  #1735  Wood

Extra-Dark Gray Trim for the Faux Nacelle Recess and Windows:
  • 80%  #1723  Gunship Gray
  • 20% #1745  Insignia White

Leading Edge of Saucer Pylon:
  • 50%  #2078  Hellblau RLM 65
  • 25%  #2087  Hellblau RLM 78
  • 15%  #1745  Insignia White
  • 10%  #2765  Turquoise

Red Markings:
  • 50%  #2772  Fire Red
  • 50%  #1705  Insignia Red

Yellow Markings:
  • 90%  #2011  Cadmium Yellow
  • 10%  #1708  Insignia Yellow

Turbolift Green:
  • 75%  #2071  Grau RLM 02
  • 25%  #1793  SAC Bomber Green

Engraved Rings Under the Saucer & the Tan Arc on the Upper Saucer:
  • 75%  #1735  Wood
  • 25%  #1745  Insignia White

Hint: Remember, the arc is relatively subtle overall, with deeper shades of tan aligned with the grid lines.  This effect is best achieved by mixing a clear medium into the paint and building up layers of paint to match reference photos, such as the B&W 1966 publicity shots.

"Space Dirt":
  • 80%  #1735  Wood
  • 20%  #1736   Leather

Hint: If possible, incorporate a clear medium into your paint mix and slowly build up layers of paint to achieve varying depths of color.

Pilot Nacelle Domes:
  • 1964 color - base coat of Sherwin-Williams "Fireweed" SW 6328 (satin to gloss finish).  If you wish, carefully spray some dark swirls over the base color, to match screen caps of the model.
  • 2016 color - base coat of Benjamin Moore "Harvest Brown" 2104-30 (eggshell finish).  To more closely match the 2016 version of the domes, add a few irregularly-shaped dark gray blotches, along with some redder areas, made from some warm red paint added to your "Harvest Brown" mix.

Note: the Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore paints listed above are not hobby paint.

Pilot Saucer Pylon:
  • 75%  #2126  Russian Topside Blue
  • 25%  #2765  Turquoise

Note: for the 1st Pilot model, apply a gloss coat over the blue paint

Deflector Dish:
  • 95%  #2019  Copper
  • 5%  #1782  Brass

Deflector Dish Support Shaft & Backing (and Pilot Nacelle Dome Spires):
  • 35%  #2019  Copper
  • 30%  #1782  Brass
  • 20%  #1744  Gold
  • 15%  #2022  International Orange / FS12197

==========

Check out the orthographic reference images below by Petri Blomqvist with notes by Gary Kerr.

Now get to mixing and painting!

:)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:31:41 pm by Gadgetron_3000 »
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 10:03:28 am »
I reached the point of spraying final color on my 1/650 TOS Enterprise and realized that the 2 1/2 inch spray pattern of my Iwata just wasn't going to cut it. After reading several online recommendations I purchased the 4 oz adjustable spray gun (item #92126) from Harbor Freight for under $12. This gave me a spray pattern of 6 inches and I am very impressed with it's spray quality. The air usage of the spray gun is more than most airbrush compressors can output so you might need a pancake compressor (again pretty cheap at Harbor Freight) if you don't have one. For large surfaces you can't beat it!

When I bought the spray gun I went to Walmart to buy some throw down practice acrylic paint. While looking I found "Waverly Inspirations Chalk" acrylic paint color "Silver Lining" (#60729E). Prior to this purchase, I had mixed three different Tamiya paint colors in an attempt to match the Gary Kerr "Painting the Starship Enterprise" article, but this paint was an even better match straight off the shelf. The paint is thinned with water, has a fine pigmentation, covers great, and sprays well in the spray gun and airbrush. As if that is not enough the cost for the paint was under $6 for 8 ounces. I highly recommend it for a TOS Enterprise final color.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 10:12:59 am »
I reached the point of spraying final color on my 1/650 TOS Enterprise and realized that the 2 1/2 inch spray pattern of my Iwata just wasn't going to cut it. After reading several online recommendations I purchased the 4 oz adjustable spray gun (item #92126) from Harbor Freight for under $12. This gave me a spray pattern of 6 inches and I am very impressed with it's spray quality. The air usage of the spray gun is more than most airbrush compressors can output so you might need a pancake compressor (again pretty cheap at Harbor Freight) if you don't have one. For large surfaces you can't beat it!

When I bought the spray gun I went to Walmart to buy some throw down practice acrylic paint. While looking I found "Waverly Inspirations Chalk" acrylic paint color "Silver Lining" (#60729E). Prior to this purchase, I had mixed three different Tamiya paint colors in an attempt to match the Gary Kerr "Painting the Starship Enterprise" article, but this paint was an even better match straight off the shelf. The paint is thinned with water, has a fine pigmentation, covers great, and sprays well in the spray gun and airbrush. As if that is not enough the cost for the paint was under $6 for 8 ounces. I highly recommend it for a TOS Enterprise final color.
That is a great colour! Good find. I have an Iwata spray gun that I purchased specifically to paint my 1:350 TOS E but haven't used it yet - how did the Harbor Freight one work for you? Any tips or tricks?

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 11:54:36 am »
That is a great colour! Good find. I have an Iwata spray gun that I purchased specifically to paint my 1:350 TOS E but haven't used it yet - how did the Harbor Freight one work for you? Any tips or tricks?

I was expecting good results based on the reviews I had read, but this spray gun exceeded my expectations.  As I stated, I had bought the acrylic paint thinking I would need some practice with the spray gun, but it was not temperamental at all.  I thinned the paint with water to about a 1:1 ratio (the Waverly paint is really thick) and it sprayed very well.  This gun gives you the option of a circular or fan spray pattern.  I prefer the fan pattern as it provides a more even coat.  I will even use this on smaller models for applying coats of Future floor wax and final flat coats.  The instructions do have the "fluid" and "pattern" controls reversed on the first illustration, but other than that they are accurate.  I cannot imagine doing a 1:350 scale with a regular airbrush.  For under $12 you cannot beat the finish and the time it saves you over an airbrush.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 12:02:31 pm »

I was expecting good results based on the reviews I had read, but this spray gun exceeded my expectations.  As I stated, I had bought the acrylic paint thinking I would need some practice with the spray gun, but it was not temperamental at all.  I thinned the paint with water to about a 1:1 ratio (the Waverly paint is really thick) and it sprayed very well.  This gun gives you the option of a circular or fan spray pattern.  I prefer the fan pattern as it provides a more even coat.  I will even use this on smaller models for applying coats of Future floor wax and final flat coats.  The instructions do have the "fluid" and "pattern" controls reversed on the first illustration, but other than that they are accurate.  I cannot imagine doing a 1:350 scale with a regular airbrush.  For under $12 you cannot beat the finish and the time it saves you over an airbrush.
Thanks Tshark!

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 08:32:12 am »
This Waverly paint also does a great job of hiding brush marks from paint touch-ups!  I used both a brush and toothpick to touch-up my airbrushed finish and, once dry, you cannot tell it apart from the airbrushed finish.  Much better than Tamiya paints.

Enterprise © Bloc