Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fine Scale Model Wire Strippers  (Read 268 times)

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Fine Scale Model Wire Strippers
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:36:16 am »
Hey all,

I am looking at trying to get some wire strippers and need you advice.

I am working, primarily, with 24 - 30 AWG wire and would love to have a self adjusting wire stripper. Most of the stuff that is for sale from Amazon, Home Depot, and Lowe's is for 10-20 AWG use.

Can any of you give me a recommendation for a quality stripper for use with smaller diameter wires?

I have tried to get a $5 from IPMS shows and Harbor Frieght but these have done better than nothing to nothing for stripping the insulation.

Got any recommendations?

I did a search and came up empty handed and so the question.

Thanks!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
Re: Fine Scale Model Wire Strippers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:15:25 am »
I bought the following(link below).  I have used this on 30awg wrapping wire with no issues.  At that awg, just make sure you give the grips a nice smooth squeeze

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000IYTCG6?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:18:09 am by simi »
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:56:31 am »
Thanks, Simi! Those look great!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:36:01 am »
I bought the following(link below).  I have used this on 30awg wrapping wire with no issues.  At that awg, just make sure you give the grips a nice smooth squeeze

I have one similar to this and the key thing for smaller gauge wires is to use the micro adjust wheel to grip it well enough to strip off the insulation.

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:12:11 pm »

I have one similar to this and the key thing for smaller gauge wires is to use the micro adjust wheel to grip it well enough to strip off the insulation.

Suhweet! Thanks, Ross!

I found one at WM with a micro adjustment wheel so I'm gonna try it out.

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc