Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Enterprise Refit Cutaway Poster] Sharing Is Caring  (Read 690 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
[Enterprise Refit Cutaway Poster] Sharing Is Caring
« on: April 05, 2018, 01:46:57 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

Back when Star Trek: The Motion Picture was in production, master technical illustrator David Kimble was commissioned to work on several things related to the movie: a set of official blueprints published by Pocket Books and a huge 22" x 48" full-color cutaway poster of the Enterprise refit.  I was lucky to get both items during the years between the first two movies and have kept them in decent shape since.

Recently, I decided to see about getting the poster itself scanned so that I could have a digital copy.  The poster was only released for sale two times: from 1979 into the early 1980s and then once more when Star Trek IV hit theaters in 1986.  The second release, however, saw some changes.  The "-A" marking was shoehorned into the artwork, a few questionable color changes were made, and the size of the poster was smaller (down to 24" x 36").

Anyway, a local print shop took a stab at scanning my poster on a huge, professional HP PageWide XL machine usually used for rolls of design blueprints.  They ended up giving me a gigantic 56696 x 27444 resolution image at 1200 dpi which takes up nearly half a gigabyte of storage space.  In the end, however, the scan wasn't anywhere near perfect.  The upper and lower parts of the poster weren't usable since the age of the poster caused wrinkles to appear in the scan.  But the most important part of the image...the Enterprise...came out pretty good.

So I did some crop work until I was satisfied with what I ended up with.

Long out of print, the original cutaway poster is quite rare, and finding one in decent condition is even rarer.  I know many people would love to have the image itself, so I wanted to share it with you all.  From the cropped image, I've re-scaled it down to several sizes starting with an 8K resolution (7680 pixels wide) all the way down to a 720p (1280 pixels wide) one.  Six different resolutions in all which should just about cover anyone's personal needs.

If you would like to view and download the various resized images, please send me a private message through this forum and I'll get a share link to you.  All I ask is that you don't use the images to make any sort of profit from.

If you have any questions, let me know.  Otherwise...enjoy!

To learn a little bit about David Kimble, check out this YouTube video about his home town of Marfa, Texas here: https://youtu.be/6OAc3gx9K3Y?t=2m23s.  His segment is at the 2:23 point of the video.  For some history on the making of the poster image, check out this article: https://www.motor1.com/features/140724/star-trek-starship-enterprise-cutaway/.  And finally, if you would like to support his work, consider purchasing his award-winning book David Kimble's "Cutaways" Techniques & Stories Behind the Art (ISBN-10: 1613251734 / ISBN-13: 978-1613251737): https://www.amazon.com/David-Kimbles-Cutaways-Techniques-Stories/dp/1613251734.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: [Enterprise Refit Cutaway Poster] Sharing Is Caring
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:56:46 pm »
This is Awesome, Gadgetron! Looks like I will be DM'ing you.

I have a room that needs this one on the wall!

Thanks again for making yours available.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:53:24 pm »
This is wonderful! I've not seen this poster since it first came out.Thank you for posting this!  :)

Adam
For the fun of building art.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 11:23:36 am »
Interesting!

I have never seen a cutaway illustration of the Enterprise before. :)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:49:36 am »
That is awesome Gadgetron.   Believe it or not a guy at work was cleaning out his garage two weeks ago.  He had this poster but had no where in his house to put it up so he gave it to me.  Now I need a place to hang it.  Anyway, I'm going to PM you for the image.  Thank you so much for doing this.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:04 am »
I have the second issue poster that Gadget refers to.  It's been rolled up since I bought it not long after Star Trek IV played in the theaters.  Other than the tear at the bottom it's in pretty good shape.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134703725@N08/39688033720/in/album-72157684204657576/

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:56:26 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

Back in April, I had my 48" x 22" David Kimble Enterprise refit cutaway poster scanned, and I offered various resolution versions to everyone here.  The scan was far from perfect and I had to crop the scan quite a bit leaving only the Enterprise intact in the images.

Recently, I made a random discovery...back when Star Trek: The Motion Picture was in its original run, Coca Cola had an in-theater promotion where you can buy one of two special edition posters at the concession stand.  One poster was a commissioned piece by artist Jerome Tarplay and it featured some character artwork as well as depicting various scenes from the movie.  The other poster was the David Kimble refit cutaway but with the character artwork from the first poster added on.  This version was half the size as the big one so it was 23" x 11".

A few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to get a hold of the Coca Cola cutaway poster in good condition.  This one I was able to scan myself, and the result was very good.  I was able to get the entire poster at a resolution of 27382 x 12577 at 1200 dpi.  The image has a print size of 22.814 inches x 10.479 inches.

And like before, I want to share with anyone who wants the 178 MB JPEG file.

If you would like to download the file, please send me a private message through this forum and I'll get a share link to you.  All I ask is that you don't use the image to make any sort of profit from.

Enjoy!

:)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:02:09 pm by Gadgetron_3000 »
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Enterprise © Bloc