Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My attempt at a 1:350 Refit build guide  (Read 1024 times)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
My attempt at a 1:350 Refit build guide
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:11:52 pm »
Hello everyone! 

On one of my chats with our good friend, Boyd, I told him that he should do a build series on a simpler 1:350 Enterprise Refit for people who aren't master model builders like he is.  I've seen countless times where people see his builds, and then go buy the kit, photo etch, lights, paint masks, electronic boards, etc etc etc, spending several hundred dollars on parts and stuff, and then give up when they find they aren't able to do it.  His response?  'You'd better get on that!'  Well...

I started thinking that maybe I should get right on that!  I mean... I'm no master builder, but I can put one of these together as well as most.  Then I got to thinking that the kit looks pretty good built straight out of the box.  I thought 'hmmm... maybe I should just build this thing with nothing but what comes with the kit, put it on youtube, and show everyone that the kit can even look good without all the frills!'  I ran my idea past Jerry (from http://www.hdamodelworx.com), and his response was that I HAD to add lights.  Like, HAD to.  Because no one wants one without lights!!  I grudgingly agreed, and decided to do minimal lighting on it.  Light the windows, thrusters, warp engines, and put in an arduino nav/strobe board.

So yeah, the kit and lights.  I can do that.  But no... Jerry also said 'if you're going to do a simple kit, you should also add photo etch.  It's the single most popular upgrade for the entire thing!'  That one took more convincing, but in the end I decided it would be a good idea.  Upgrading the shuttle bay alone makes it worth it.

So that's the plan.  The kit, photo etch, and lights, and that's it.  I also snuck in the clear parts mask kit from http://www.hdamodelworx.com/ because reasons (masking clear parts is my bane!), but otherwise it's going to be incredibly simple.  I'm using the aztec decals, included strongbacks, no extra lighting, just a kit you can admire on the shelf.  Because that's what it's all about, right?

A few months ago, I started the build, and I've now done 10 episodes.  I think there's probably 10 more in there.  The ship is coming right along, and looks great.  I'm even showing mistakes I make, because people newer to modeling aren't going to be able to do this flawlessly.  I want to show that these things are not insurmountable. 

So if any of you want to watch (aka: have time to kill), then let me know what you think.  Some of you have probably already seen what I've done.  We're going to make her look great!

Here's the playlist:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEExPKjJS38&list=PLoSt2wpd1whnOe8BLkCEX5GJ1FI9pqv1f

Let me know what you guys think.  I'll post here when I have a new video.
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: My attempt at a 1:350 Refit build guide
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:33:23 pm »
Okay, so knowing your work, Matt, I know that WHATEVER you build will be fantastic, this build will be no less so!

I am going to go favorite your series and see what you are talking about.

Good luck with the build! ;D

Steve

BTW - where's the "Refit to the Refit" thread?!  :o
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
lol, the 'Refit the Refit' is an idea I've been playing around with for awhile.  Seeing you rebuild that poor AMT TOS kinda made me think about it a little harder. :)

And thanks for the kind words!  I appreciate it!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:53:47 pm »
I've been following along on YouTube, Matt. Looking forward to the next video as I continue to build mine.
Thanks for the series!

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »
I started a thread for exactly the same thing back in February for a build guide of the refit for beginners to average modellers.

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=7332.0

But no one was interested!! Seems a common thing with my builds on this forum so I rarely post here anymore.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:41:04 pm »
Yeah, I've found that the forum traffic has slowed somewhat.  I still post when I do new projects as a sort of diary.  I can refer back to it when needs be.  If others like it and are entertained, then so much the better.  I figure if it helps even a few people, then it was worth the time.  I figure this build series won't do a lot at the beginning, but as time goes on it'll get used.

Now I'm going to go check out your videos on your channel. :)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:53:22 am »
I must have missed that thread Kenny!

I subscribe to your channel and enjoy watching your builds. Would like to see a "budget/refit guide/Average modeller" series.

As for forum traffic I admit I am on this site at least three times a day but only post if I have something worthwhile (I think so anyway) to add to a thread. I read just about everyone but I don't comment which maybe I should do to show my interest in another modeller's build.
Iain

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:21:52 am »
I always struggle with how much to comment on other threads, there is always so much awesome on here.

On a side note, you should add bases to your minimum build :)

Cheers,

Offline krieg.17

• Captain
  • FIRE!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 12:02:05 pm »
Matt I really enjoy the show!
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 09:11:26 pm »
@krieg: Thanks!  Glad you're enjoying it!

@jwood314: On this particular build, I'm using the stock base.  Remember... it's a build for beginners to show that you can go minimal and still have a great model.

@Iain: Thanks!

And as for the commenting, forums are driven by comments.  I suspect there are a lot of people who lurk here, but don't post much.  I say, post away!

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:58 pm »
Does that mean we are both going to do a build guide?

Did you check out the info video on my channel for mine?

Scott.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 11:47:40 pm »
Scott I watched Matt's vids and am also a subscriber to your channel.  I think you should do one too.  It's always nice to see alternative techniques.

As Matt said in his video intro, I too saw Boyd's build videos and that's what got me back into modelling after 30 plus years.  It doesn't take long though for us mere mortals to realize you guys have been doing this a lot longer than us and sometimes these 'ultimate builds'... although super cool... are simply out of the skill sets for a lot of us, at least at this time.  Basic builds that show how to achieve a good looking ship with lighting are always something I am interested in.  As I mentioned previously, I personally would love to see a build vid or thread that includes a complete list of materials and sourcing... prices too, but I know prices get dated real quick.  Still it would be nice to see a comprehensive list of aftermarket parts, paints including the brand and paint #, and any other details used in the build.  Kind of an index of 'required' materials, and then 'optional' materials.  Not many threads or videos do that.  If an Arduino is used... please include the sketch... things like that.

I'm trying a few things of my own on smaller scale builds so when I get to my 350 builds I'll have everything down pat.  I want to make an internal power buss for + and - and tap into the buss, which then has one line leaving that sub-assembly (I was an Electronics Technician 1st Class in the Navy- E6) so I like things to be clean and simple.  Maybe if I am lucky some of my ideas could become a staple for some people's builds, but right now I have to get to that point.  I like to document EVERYTHING, that's why I would love to see a complete parts list and sourcing.

For now though, both of you guys have enough videos to keep me busy for weeks!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 01:50:44 pm »
@AussieTrekkie/Scott:  I sure hope we both do builds.  More info = win.  We can all learn something from others who build these things.  You do excellent work, and I'd like to see more.

@whb64: When I built my first refit, I documented the entire thing on this site.  It wound up being 50-some pages long.  I documented every move on it.  I was a beginner at the time, and looking back, I'm amazed I was able to complete it.   I'm really hoping my videos can help some people out.  The 1/350 kit is very impressive, and really not too difficult as long as you take it slow and try not to overthink it. 

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Episode 11 went up last night.  It covers the deflector and some more of the secondary hull.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 07:56:01 pm »
I think you might be able to both contribute to a build guide.  As I contemplate the 1/350 in the distant future I'd love to see it through!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 08:59:43 pm »
Matt,

LOVE your tip on diffusing the deflector dish light! I will give that a go when I get to lighting mine. Thanks!!

Enterprise © Bloc