Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A dilemma of sorts with the Enterprise-D  (Read 100 times)

Offline Grue

• Ensign
A dilemma of sorts with the Enterprise-D
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:14:37 pm »
Fellas,

there's two strips along the edge of the Enterprise-D's saucer section. Both have black bands or lines on them/ The AMt.R2 kit only has one of the sections as having the bands.

I want to cut away the top part of the edge of the saucer and the bottom band of the model I'm going to be assembling and affis the once-upper band to the lower saucer.

Unless you know of an easier way.

[edit] to the dilemma i face is whether or not to bother doing that, spending the money for another kit just to do that. Or, make it look as realistic as possible. On the one hand, it's already pretty inaccurate. On the other, why not polish it up a bit?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:55:41 am by Grue »

Offline Valiant

• Lieutenant
Re: A dilemma of sorts with the Enterprise-D
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 01:36:13 pm »
Im very familiar with the kit and studio model, but need some more information. Are you referring to the sensor bamds around the edge of the saucer? If so which? The kit accounts for the band all around..

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: A dilemma of sorts with the Enterprise-D
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:12 am »
I think what you're discussing is actually the bands of windows above and below the sensor strip trench along the edge of the saucer. The model kit only has the upper set molded in, and the lower section of the saucer doesn't have them.

The only really good way to deal with them is to use paint or decals to fill them in. The curvature of the hull near the edge is different enough between the halves that you'd basically have to cut only the edge radius off, too deep in and it won't match up very well. That's not a task I'd want to tackle, and it's not really worth pursuing for the little bit of engraved depth it would provide the windows. In fact, if I were to do any correction of the sort, it would be to fill and sand the existing band windows completely away and get some decals run to replace the windows with.

Enterprise © Bloc