Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint booth  (Read 339 times)

Offline viz

• Ensign
Paint booth
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:23:37 pm »
Hi Everyone. I have decided to build a massive paint booth (140 cm [h] x 190 [L] and 140[W] . I am doing it as i am planning to do some very big modelS eg , The Polar Lights  1/350 NX-O1, TOS Enterprise , USS Enterprise Refit and The Klingon K'tinga. I am also going to use it for the Deagostini falcon. I just wanted to know if anyone hear has any tips or guidance for this. Has anyone built one of similar size
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:16:43 am by viz »

Offline homyakchik

• Emperor of the Known Universe
  • Ensign
Re: Paint booth
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 03:17:05 pm »
Howdy!

Wow. 140cm is pretty big; my ruler says over 5 feet across. Going to be building huge models? I'm hoping to make a more economical one someday. I live in a smaller house (no garage, alas, although hope springs eternal), so I'll probably try for one like in the Wave Option System Guide--foot and a half across max, with an exhaust hose I can put on a board out the back door or a window, small fan for the draw.

Going for a Boyd-style paint booth? Lord knows he can paint just about anything in that booth of his! :)

Davey (I need a heat gun like he uses, though; my wife doesn't like the smell of paint)

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:36:31 pm »
I wonder if his post was cut short, and he failed to notice, or couldn't figure it out.

Iirc, there is this thing where this forum simply "eat" the rest of the post (unless I mistake this for some other forum), once a certain character is typed. It should be the the character for indicating diameter, an O with a diagonal line across. This char, happens to be a basic letter in the alphabet in my non-English language.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:16:59 am »
I wonder if his post was cut short, and he failed to notice, or couldn't figure it out.

Iirc, there is this thing where this forum simply "eat" the rest of the post (unless I mistake this for some other forum), once a certain character is typed. It should be the the character for indicating diameter, an O with a diagonal line across. This char, happens to be a basic letter in the alphabet in my non-English language.
it is the single quote character that the forum software cannot handle, but maybe only from certain browsers.

Offline viz

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:17:44 am »
Thanks for letting me know. I have updated my 1st post.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 01:00:34 pm »
Uuh, do you mean a "spray booth" or a room to paint in? I am not sure what you mean when you write "paint booth".

I built my own spray booth, however it is only barely adequate. Has an opening of about 45 x 33 cm, with some depth to it, maybe 50 cm deep, unsure.

1) The fan(s) has to be effective. If the fans aren't powerful enough, your spray might go back in your face. You can test this by lighting an insence stick wave it around and see if the smoke is pulled into the fan.
2) Your spray booth has to have venting, out of your room.
3) You must have some kind of filter mesh, in front of the fan, else the excess paint will start building up on the fan blades. They will do this regardless, but presumably, with a filter, the cake'ing takes a lot longer.
4) Don't electrocute yourself when working with electronics. Also, don't have others near the apparatus electrocute themselves. Isolate wires properly, and don't short circuit stuff obviously.
5) I used a powerful computer fan and some other stuff, but I honestly don't know how to build a big spray booth. Buying a pre-built one might be a good idea I think, if the performance specs are good.
6) In my experience, the total costs might add up to more than you think when building your own spray booth.

Edit: If you meant building your own spray booth, then I think the size of your "paint boot" is so large it seems kind of odd to me, but ofc I am no expert on this subject matter.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:29:46 am by Decoman »

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 01:35:30 pm »
For a booth that size you are going to need some rather large fans
That is 6 feet across 5 feet high and 5 feet deep. That is huge.
The one I'm building for my new shop is only 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep and 2 feet high.
Plenty big enough to paint the 350's in. I will be using a blower motor from a home furnace.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline viz

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:43 am »
I was planning to put 3 bathroom extractor fans. 1 large 2 smaller. I was told that because of the moisture in barthrooms the moters are kept blocked off from the outside. The fans themselves are easy to clean and inexpensive enough to replace. I was told that 1 fan should be enough since this fans can extract the moiture from a decent sized room . I wanted more of them which can all be switched on separately depending on the situation / model / needs

The fact is that i cannot use my airbush unless i do this. So i wanted a paintbooth that can manage anything.

I made it this size not only for the model size but becauce I want to be able to airbrush from both sitting and standing positions. Yes the models are big but the turntable I am putting in is even bigger . I should be able to place a full Deagostini Millennium Falcon on it and turn it.

I am also planning a smaller version to keep on my workbench.

So what do you think?

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:22:50 am »
Well, at least wear a half mask with the proper filters in it.

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:09:31 pm »
Here is a video of my booth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhcQqb6XtY&t=56s

I was very worried about igniting solvents, and did not want to use bathroom fans.  The paint still passes through their coils.

I used a HVAC motor and squire cage out of a F150.  it gets 500 CFM and is brushless.  I ended up making my own blower housing which was easy.

Good luck

Nick

Enterprise © Bloc