Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/8 BTTF Delorean WIP  (Read 199 times)

Offline Saturn5

• Ensign
1/8 BTTF Delorean WIP
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:27:42 pm »
Hey guys,
Been working on a 1/8 Back to the Future Delorean time machine. It's a subscription kit so you build as parts are mailed to you. Quality has been excellent so far and when complete it should be close to being a studio scale replica.

Bumper assembly is the starting point of the build. Lots of detailed little parts make up the rear facade. The license plate even has little registration tags you put just like the real thing.

Front suspension and steering parts are attached to the frame. The wheel hubs are made up of three parts so the fins in the hubcap have some real depth.

With the rear suspension parts installed the frame really starts to feel heavy. I'd guess around two pounds at this point. All the hubs fold down for "flight mode."

Reactor parts are pretty nicely rendered but Mr. Fusion has a "bad side" so I'll be sticking with the original plutonium reactor.

I'm pretty close to having a rolling chassis (last wheel should be in the next batch.) From there I believe we begin assembling the transmission an engine assemblies.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/8 BTTF Delorean WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:58:17 am »
WOW! I loved the movie series and am lovin this build!

I didn't know they made a kit that big and that accurate!

Keep posting your progress! Would love to see this one whole.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:09:56 am »
way cool! They've just started to release this here in Aus and as much as I would like one, my patience doesn't extend to waiting for small parts to arrive each week. It looks like you've been collecting for a while already
Looking forward to seeing more
Si

Offline Saturn5

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:27 pm »
WOW! I loved the movie series and am lovin this build!

I didn't know they made a kit that big and that accurate!

Keep posting your progress! Would love to see this one whole.

Steve

Thanks! Yeah I almost missed this one too. It's also pretty heavy (lots of metal parts) and I hae to admit I really like all the detail put into it so far. The suspension springs are strangely satisfying.

way cool! They've just started to release this here in Aus and as much as I would like one, my patience doesn't extend to waiting for small parts to arrive each week. It looks like you've been collecting for a while already
Looking forward to seeing more
Si

I understand that completely. Takes a bit getting used too but the smaller batches of parts help spread out the assembly. I've seen some of the UK builds (that are farther along than the US release) and I'm pretty excited for the interior and body bits to start arriving!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 05:09:37 am »
What company is producing the subscription model?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Saturn5

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:18:50 pm »
What company is producing the subscription model?

It's called Eaglemoss. They have a UK and US

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:54 pm »
I see this is a die cast model.  Is there much cutting and fitting or painting needed?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Enterprise © Bloc