Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just getting back into modeling!!!!  (Read 302 times)

Offline dmp812

• Ensign
Just getting back into modeling!!!!
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:59:14 pm »
Hello everyone,

Part of this is an introduction post, but I also have some questions down below, so this seemed like the right forum.

I have not modeled for about 30 years, and when I did it last in my teens, I never seemed to have the patience to do it right, or I would ruin the model and go out and buy another.. and another... and another LOL  Always too much glue that would melt the plastic or whatever.

Anyway, I think I am finally serious now to try and do it right. Hopefully, after the past 30 years, I have gained more patience. :) 

I have always loved the TMP version of the refit Enterprise, and I never could build the AMT/Ertyl ones way back!  I am ready now to finally have my own that I can proud of!

In any case, on to the task at hand.  Of all the models to start on.. the Enterprise Refit from TMP!  The epitome of Star Trek models.  A very difficult model!!

I bought 2 models to begin with (PL949) and can I just say that getting back into modeling is very expensive!!!!!  I had nothing but 30 year old dried up testors paints, but pretty much I have been following Boyd on Trekworks (a big thank you, btw) for the two Ent Refit TMP models that he built.  I have also researched many other people's builds on different techniques.  Everything from lightblocking with paints to using foil tape and different methods of lighting.

For Boyd's videos, I took very detailed notes on all his Ent Refit TMP videos (2 playlists) not only including technique, paints, brands, supplies, etc.. and I have been buying items.  I am not ready yet, but will be soon.  I also researched all of the flaws in the kit versus the studio model via the link below.  I may or may not be able to do all of this according to my expertise, but I am going to give it a good try
http://showcase.netins.net/web/marc111creations/PL_Enterprise_Refit_WIP_1.htm

Some of the aftermarket things I have bought are the DLM parts, paragrafix photoetch, orbital drydock aztecs, Trekmodeler drydock sequence lights and the shuttle bay lights along with the male/female connector, Trekmodeler paint ebook.

Some things I cannot find are are the bridge and lower sensor dome parts.  Apparently, I am on a waitlist, so hope it isn't a long wait! It is the HDAModelworx site in case you are interested.

There is also a cool site I found that offers a diffusion disk for the deflector.  The site also has some acrylic windows you can buy
http://www.laserfirecreations.com/Deflector%20Diffusion%20Disc.html

So having said that, I do have some questions

Supplies
I am going to be doing airbrushing on this thing, but don't own anything.  I have been looking at the Sparmax TC620 because on some videos, it doesn't run all the time
https://store.sparmaxair.com/collections/compressors/products/tc-620x
I was also looking into the Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQKFAI/?coliid=I1R881ARK7EH9E&colid=2PAL6779OELSZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Now the thing is, I know nothing about compressors or airbrushes, but from the research that I have done, these are pretty good parts.  Can anyone give some recommendations for me or are these good enough for some professional, fine, detailed quality work?  I know we all have our preferences, but would appreciate any feedback.

Any other place I could get the bridge and sensor dome mods or is HDA the place to get those?  Any other after market parts I should look into that I don't know about?

Welp, that's it for now and should be enough to get this started.  Glad to be here and hope to receive some excellent assistance and be able to show some pictures later!

Offline Whayden53

• Lieutenant
Re: Just getting back into modeling!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:52 pm »
well first off WELCOME! if you would like some advice on air brushes i would suggest that before spending hundreds of dollars on a top of the line setup i would go with a cheaper option. when i was first learning i got a Master Airbrush set off amazon https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Compressor/dp/B001TO578Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528244241&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=master+airbrush&psc=1

ive had this one for years and even though ive since upgraded i still use this one from time to time. it works surprisingly well for a budget option and its superb for learning on. i would also suggest not going straight into the big 350 refit as your first foray back into the hobby. ive been working on mine on and off for two years its incredibly more complex and difficult that i thought it would be. IMHO it would be better to cut your teeth on something a but simpler. Maybe do the 1/1000 refit its an inexpensive kit but you can still do the full aztec on it if you want. Aztec Dummy makes masks for it which you can get from culttvman.com that would be a great way to get back into it. For me the first one i did after deciding to jump back into it was the 1/2500 enterprise E.
Keep calm and model on

Offline homyakchik

• Emperor of the Known Universe
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 03:02:28 pm »
Heyo! My own 'dry period' was shorter (three long, agonizing years), but I still sympathize; welcome back!

If I might make a small recommendation as far as getting your feet (well, hands) wet with this whole "getting back into the modeling" bit? Start small.

You want to do the whole SF modeling thing. That's great; couldn't be happier. But the Star Trek stuff can be hazardous to your sanity, even the littler, more butterfly-ier stuff like the 1/1000 stuff. There are smaller, easier things out there that will still teach you (again) the basics of modeling--cutting, trimming, sanding and filing, finishing, painting, gluing, posting and preening and glowing--and for a whole lot less than the investment than a lot of the bigger, fancier kits will run you.

One of the simpler 'starter' kits out there (I recommend this one to all the young modelers around me when we have things like modeling weekends) is the Pegasus Models Apollo 27 model. It's blazingly SF, has enough parts to be complex but not enough to make you pull your hair out, and as I've told others, "has everything but a purpose." I know of only two other modelers who've assembled that kit stock, no lie. You can open it and do it straight Out Of Box, or do like everyone else does and make it your own from the start; it's that nifty. Technically, it's out of production; practically, it's still available pretty much everywhere (including Amazon), not for much (starts about $17). Plastic kit, paint it or not as you wish. Good opportunity to master anything from basic skills on up. (My first step on them all is to saw the body in half bow from stern. You'll see why. :)

Another really good way to get some good modeling practice would be to go to your modeling store and pick up one or two Estes model rockets (they start from about $7 or $8 and go on up). You can go simple--and Estes excels at mind-numbingly simple--or you can go reasonably complex. My favorite complex ones, technically out of production but still findable if you look, are the Meteor Hunter and the classic Interceptor. Both are very nice SF-style kits, and instead of building them as launchable rockets, you build them as display kits--including using your developing kitbashing skills to close their butt ends up to look like regular sky/space craft. (See how that works?)

Things like these'll give you a really good test bed for your modeling skills, and if you mess something up, it won't cost an arm and a leg to fix (or replace). I know I've got some big, heavy, expensive kits sitting in my own Assembly Line, but I'm working on some of the smaller, cheaper kits first, just to get my hands and fingers back used to the tools and practices first. (One of my own kitbash projects is 90% Estes rocket parts--just from several rockets...) Three years is a long time; thirty would feel like forever.

And again, welcome back and I look forward to seeing what you come up with to show us!

Davey

Offline jducette

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:05:39 am »
DMP812!  Welcome back to the modelling world! 

I took a break for the better part of the past 25 years or so...and just recently got back in.  Trekworks is infectious...started off with binge watching Enterprise on Netflix...then got hooked on Boyd's build videos and the next thing I know I'm scrounging the internet for all of those kits that I did when I was a kid.

Much like you I LOVE the TMP Enterprise...but after checking out the price I decided to go back to the one that got away and do the old AMT/ERTL 1/1400 Enterprise D.  If you want to learn patience fire that bad boy up and hand paint the aztecs!  I really wanted to get the feel for modelling again before getting into the bigger stuff...plus I need to teach myself some basic electronics because these things really need some lighting!

Good luck with the TMP Refit!  Keep us posted on the progress.

Enterprise © Bloc