Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing chrome from Round 2 kit  (Read 86 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
Removing chrome from Round 2 kit
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:45:02 pm »
Hello!
I am trying to remove the chrome from a recent (?) Round 2 kit.  I have tried oven cleaner, and then strong bleach, with no effect.  Any suggestions?  Acid?  Prayers?

Thanks!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ronwojnar

• Ensign
Re: Removing chrome from Round 2 kit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:20:00 pm »
Purple Power cleaner/degreaser works well, as does ScaleCoat II Wash Away. The last is a little more expensive, but claims to be non-toxic and resuable. I use it regularly, and swear by it.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:17:06 am »
Ordinary household ammonia.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:07:35 am »
Read somewhere that acetone might remove a sealant used on the plating.  The acetone actually started to remove the plating, but it takes effort.  I'll try the ammonia (odd that it would work when oven cleaner won't), then go for purple power.  Years ago I removed the gold plating from a b-wing with oven cleaner in like 10 minutes.

Thanks for the assist!  I'll let you know what works!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 01:32:11 pm »
Yeah, I've noticed the Round 2 kits resist everything weaker than Purple Power. I had other kits that the chrome came right off in Simple Green in a day, Round 2 kits were weeks in the bath and barely budged. Purple Power was the only thing strong enough to take it off in anything resembling a reasonable time frame that wouldn't also attack the plastic. I don't know if it's the chrome itself, the undercoat they use, or an overcoat of protective gloss.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 01:50:46 pm »
OK, so chemistry win and chemistry fail.  Unfortunately I did not recheck this thread to see Lynn's sage advice before moving on.   :P

Regular nail polish remover (some % acetone) successfully removed the chrome from the grill, bumper, and police lights.  But I ran out.

The local store had "Professional Grade", 100% acetone, so I picked that up.  I figured I would let the other parts soak.

Ok campers, that strength of acetone dissolves plastic.  While I can figure out how to make my own light housings, I also need a couple of long thin cone shaped pieces that are now dead. In taking time off the chrome removal I created a bunch of work.   :o

Enterprise © Bloc